Removimg Hardened Glue

Kontiki

When we bought our Elddis camper last year according to the specs it should have had TPMS, as this wasn't the case I agreed to have a alternative TPMS (Tyrepal) which the dealer fitted. The display was fitted to a dash board pad which wasstuck on. The self adhesive pad has come off the glue that was on the pad has haardened on the dashboard. The pad itself is a bit flexible which I found surprising. I've made a new pad from some black perspex I have which I can stick on with doubled sided tape. My problem is trying to remove the old hardened glue, up to now I have managed to get some of but it is proving difficult, any ideas what can disolve it without damaging the dashboard? If we weren't in lockdown I would have thrown it back to the dealer to let them sort it but at the moment that isn't an option.

This may help;

wd 40 will do it you will have to leave it to soak for a minute or two then wipe with some kitchen roll you may need to do it a couple of times

This may help;

Notice it mentions that old favourite of mine, white vinegar, as a second (but slower) choice after nail polish remover :)

wd 40 will do it you will have to leave it to soak for a minute or two then wipe with some kitchen roll you may need to do it a couple of times

I forgot about WD40. You're right, it's brilliant for removing glue and other substances from all sorts of surfaces.

I've always used WD40 for removing glue or even tree sap, wasn't sure if it would dull the dashboard though. I see no reason why it should.

Brilliant stuff.

I've always used WD40 for removing glue or even tree sap, wasn't sure if it would dull the dashboard though. I see no reason why it should.

Brilliant stuff.
It’s only made of fish oil I have never found it to dull the dashboard once the glues off it will need de greasing for the new double sided tape

Tried a couple of those already, will give the WD40 a try tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

Your dealer cocked up. That's a surprise...

The TyrePal mat is indeed flexible. As supplied it has a high friction surface that will not slide across the dash. It's flexible to help it accommodate any curvature.

The instrument itself adheres in similar fashion to the top surface.

Beware of acetone. It's the last resort in my view. You could try a dab of petrol.

As you say the pad is flexible, although I was there I didn't see them fit it so don't know if it was in the Tyrepal kit for fitting so might try contacting them. Can't blame the dealer as it was the first & talking to them the only owner to point out TPMS isn't fitted on the Elddis campervan but seems to be standard on the coachbuilts.

Well they might at least have read the instructions!

I hope that either you or they have configured the monitor with the correct settings otherwise it will not do the job as it should.

You should also check that the sensors have been fitted to the correct wheels.

They are labelled left and right, front and rear.

The system is fine, I was there when they were fitted & setup. It was the first time the dealer had fitted them & I don't have any issues that they did their best. The problem was with the pad being flexible the suction on the mounting plus the heat on the dashboard seems it is constantly pulling the pad in the middle.
Found WD40 did help in removing the glue, used a nail brush as well. Mainly though I had to use a craft knife with a chisel type blade to get it off. Managed to do it without damaging dashboard. Fitted a solid plate of using a double sided sticky pad, not sure it will hold but at least won't go solid like the original,

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back