Removable tow bar

Mossystone

Hi, We have a boxer based Autocruise Valentine (2004 vintage) This is a coachbuilt and has a rear door with retractable step beneath. I would like to be able to tow a trailer to take our classic to shows. The easiest solution, apart from buying a new van, would be to have a tow bar with a removable rear section so that when the trailer is unhitched that section could be removed to allow use of the door and step. Is there anyone who has done this and could offer advice?.
I think I could engineer a suitable set up but there must be insurance/MoT implications. Can anyone suggest a company that would tackle this and ensure it complies with legal requirements.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

First thing you must use a unit which complies and is so stamped.
No bugger that i have t units with a detachable unit and it would be an easy thing to copy,all you require are two plates welded onto t/bar and drilled for 2 bolts to go through ball unit,a lot of taxis use these as there not alowed t/ball so two bolts and its of leaving under bar in place.

Thanks for your suggestions. I will try contacting some of the googled companies BUT..

My issue is that a standard removable ball will still hamper the operation of the electric step. I visualize a removable section rather than just the hook. Any thoughts along those lines?

What does the law say?

Further research suggests that the 1998 rules do not apply to Motorhomes. That is the rule that the design and fitting must be "approved" and "tested" specifically for that vehicle.
One manufacturer is saying that the law relating to motorhome towbars refers to those built after 2012. ie Vans constructed before 2012 do not need the approved and certified bars. That would seem to make sense as there are no towbars available ready made to fit my van. It is not an Alko chassis and has relatively light weight extensions to the original chassis to support the overhanging coachwork.

Does anyone know where I might get confirmation of these rules please?

Alternatively perhaps you could remove the existing retractable step, install a standard tow bar setup and use a detachable tow ball mount step. Door position may determine feasibility.

why not forget retractable step and invest in one of those plastic steps that caravaners use.
stored just inside door and ready for use at any time .
this will by pass the need to remove tow hitch and fittings.

Thanks for your suggestions, I think the standard bar with removable ball + bar mounted step might be the easy answer. especially if fabricating a bar is legal.

Hi, I had a Richard Holdsworth Valentine, and I fitted a bar right across the rear which included the tow bar, the makers are still there today in Ascot, Hope Safe T bar, High St. Ascot, SL5 7HP tel. 01344 624855, hope this helps

Last edited:
no laws back then. New laws from EU for new motor's

Tow & go. Its only the 13 pin scocket thats tested not 7 pin. Electrics only
The Chryslers have pull outs.

It the height of ball and weight of loaded trailor that you should look into. Especially if yours vehicle is 6 or 7 meter long?

Hi, I had a Richard Holdsworth Valentine, and I fitted a bar right across the rear which included the tow bar, the makers are still there today in Ascot, Hope Safe T bar, High St. Ascot, SL5 7HP tel. 01344 624855, hope this helps

Thanks Wineciccio, Having googled Holdsworth Valentine I have found a picture of the rear door + towbar setup. I hadn't realized that Holdworth had produced a similar van.
Off on our travels soon so will follow up when we return. Many Thanks

What is the gross train weight of your motorhome, and what is the trailer and load weight that you want to tow?

Peter

I built my t/bar and bumper unit as mot station said to big a hight at rear of van and it was passed ,easy to make a foot plate either fixed or removable i would think.

Attachments

• sw 4.jpg
    sw 4.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 80
  • s w rack.jpg
    s w rack.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 82
What is the gross train weight of your motorhome, and what is the trailer and load weight that you want to tow?

Peter

Oh dear, I don't know the answer to either of those questions yet. The car I want to tow is in the 900Kg range (without a trailer). I am looking for a small trailer. The base of my motorhome is a peugeot Boxer290 Lx swb 1.9 HDi. Where do I find the gross train weight?
Once I have found these what do I do with them?

Mossystone with all probabilities the Valentine's pictures you have seen its mine, They borrowed my van to take some photos of some mods I carried out to the toilet and the roof bars and ladder and the tow bar supplied by Safe T bar, when I went to their factory in Woodley, Reading, it was one of those factory open days type of thing the factory was only about 20 minutes away from Crowthorne, Berk's where I lived before moving to sunny Liverpool

why not forget retractable step and invest in one of those plastic steps that caravaners use.
stored just inside door and ready for use at any time .
this will by pass the need to remove tow hitch and fittings.

This seems the simplest and least cost option. It's also the solution I would take if I was in your position.

As Trev. I've had to custom fabricate, to (1) allow barn doors to open with m/bike mounted (2) retain permanent step which could take tow ball (3) Allow rack to be removed. So it had to be a retractable setup as per pics. The rack extends/retracts with an electric motor, well it did!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back