Refillable LPG Low warning

landoboguy

Free Member
When i bought the MH it already has a refillable LPG tank and I was quite surprised at to how little I seem to use. The first time I went to the garage to fill up as soon as i bought is I didnt know how much was in it cost me 24p :tongue:

Ive since refilled many times but never found/seen a gauge anywhere to tell me what the level is or if its low . Is there such a thing.
It on a Truma UK403 system with led panel.

Thanks

Yes

"*****" is correct..
We do the same..
But if you have only 1 tank..
We use about 1 litre a day in the summer.
So no heating but Fridge on LPG when we are stood so 18 hours a day...
Just fill up as you see fit even if an "expensive area" LPG is still excellent value !

PS The gauges are bloody useless ( and that is being polite ! )

We have a Gas It twin 11kg four hole system, we have no changeover valve but prefer to have them plumbed as one tank. In the kitchen, we have this 9 LED Display ( Switched ) & 0-95 ohm sender unit for GAS IT Tanks & GAS IT Plus bottles - GAS IT Leisure Gas Bottles, Gas Cylincers and Gas Tanks - Catering, Motorhome, Campervan, Caravan, Farrier and Road Repair Refillable Gas Solutions. which we find satisfyingly accurate, and it takes the worry out of if we have enough gas or not.
I never have to lift bottles, or wonder where the spanner is in the middle of the night, in fact the only time I ever have to even open the gas cupboard is to show somebody the set up.

If there is a gauge, they are notoriously inaccurate, so don't rely on it.
We have a twin refillable bottle set up and I don't use the auto change over. I keep the second cylinder turned off, so that when cylinder one runs out, I know, and then, I switch over and find a refill for cylinder no one.
Mostly, I refill before this happens

Over time, you will get to know how long your gas will last

I second that :)

Or, rather, third it - sorry, didn't notice jagmanx's post

Last edited:
I do exactly what ***** does and it works fine for me and in over 18 months I have never run out of gas.

Just to add

We shower with hot water at least once a day.
We do not use the oven..with 2 x 11kg tanks we can last a month (or more) very easily.. In the summer !

Obviously heating the van would increase consumption but in Autumn and Spring I suggest only minimally as MoHos are not huge volumes of air

If it is cold we will sometimes go for EHU and use a fan heater

Great answers thanks.

hmmm, well now Im thinking I may be empty, Ive had the heater running and am getting an error on the truma, which they advise is no flame and check blockages etc, but I just assumed the gas level would be fine as it used so little in the past, down to the garage I go. Ill post the answer here.
Oh the error was E212H in case anyone else searches it

John

When i bought the MH it already has a refillable LPG tank and I was quite surprised at to how little I seem to use. The first time I went to the garage to fill up as soon as i bought is I didnt know how much was in it cost me 24p :tongue:

Ive since refilled many times but never found/seen a gauge anywhere to tell me what the level is or if its low . Is there such a thing.
It on a Truma UK403 system with led panel.

Thanks

Is it a refillable tank or a refillable cylinder (which is what most posters appear to assume)?
If a tank, you may need to check whether it has, or could be fitted with, a gauge and sender unit.
The latest generation of Gaslow refillale cylinders is equipped with gauges that I have found to be extremely reliable. The previous generation had clip-on gauges, which were subject to a variety of issues.

Ive just found it and checked and its bloomin empty, Its a gasit refillable tank, and I didnt know there was a gauge. See pic.

I honestly cant believe its empty, I havent used anywhere near what Id expect to empty it, after the fill ups surprising me with how little they needed the other times. I have used the heating a bit but nowt heavy. Im wondering about a possible leakage now, so will inspect and monitor.
Just for ref, pic attached and Trumas response is below.

Thanks for the help

"Thank you for your enquiry. Fault code 212 is stating that flame has not been detected. Please ensure that your gas bottle is turned on, the isolation valve is turned on and that any rupture protection has been reset. Also ensure you are not using butane in colder conditions.

If all of the above seems ok, we would recommend that a gas engineer checks your gas working pressure, any blockages at the gas valve and the condition of the flue.

Please click on the link below and enter your postcode for dealers in your local area;

Dealer search

I hope this is helpful but please come back to me if you need any further information.

Kind regards

Rachel Roberts
Customer Service Advisor"
gasit.jpg

Ive just found it and checked and its bloomin empty, Its a gasit refillable tank, and I didnt know there was a gauge. See pic.

I honestly cant believe its empty, I havent used anywhere near what Id expect to empty it, after the fill ups surprising me with how little they needed the other times. I have used the heating a bit but nowt heavy. Im wondering about a possible leakage now, so will inspect and monitor.

Thanks for the help

View attachment 68344
my motorhome has a factory fit underbody tank the dash gauge is an absolute joke .

Thanks for confirming.
It does depend on fridges and vans.
With our previous van, we could just about last for three weeks on one 11kg cylinder and that was wilding abroad in hot weather.
Our present van lasts just over two weeks. Our cooking has not changed so it must be the boiler or/and fridge.
We do heat the water for daily showers and cook hot food every day

That equates to our experience on one Gaslow 11kg cylinder(we have an old Calor for back-up but never used in 9 years)

Geoff

Thanks for the help

View attachment 68344

Are you sure its filling properly? You say on your first post it only took 23p which is nothing but you also say you have filled again several times. How much did it take on those occasions.

I guess you will know if you refill it now when its empty as you should know how many litres a full tank is.

Usage is the best gauge. I can tell you within a litre how much gas I have left just based on the time of year and experience.

well its a 25 litre tank and I just filled it this morning took £12.00 but I was expecting £15.00 .60p per litre, so am assuming the ratio of 75% full for expansion comes in to play, so the tank is 25l but will never allow more than 18-19l to fill it to allow for expansion.

Ill monitor it now.

Update, my nearest and dearest informs me she went in the other morning to give a spring clean and set the heater to 18 deg. DOh! so it had been running on my driveway. :heart::heart: .

well its a 25 litre tank and I just filled it this morning took £12.00 but I was expecting £15.00 .60p per litre, so am assuming the ratio of 75% full for expansion comes in to play, so the tank is 25l but will never allow more than 18-19l to fill it to allow for expansion.

Ill monitor it now.

Update, my nearest and dearest informs me she went in the other morning to give a spring clean and set the heater to 18 deg. DOh! so it had been running on my driveway. :heart::heart: .

When you fill don't you look at the litres on the pump?

i had a similar problem after i had a gasit system fitted a couple of years ago - i even took it back to gas it to ensure it had been fitted properly.... it was... Their technicians explained that first gas bottle to be used needed to be completely emptied before being refilled for the gauge to become effective... i cant recall the technical explanation for this - but the gauge that comes with the system at least now registers when the first bottle is empty so that i can start to look for a new garage to refill bottle no 1 whilst using the 2nd bottle....

We have a Gas It twin 11kg four hole system, we have no changeover valve but prefer to have them plumbed as one tank. In the kitchen, we have this 9 LED Display ( Switched ) & 0-95 ohm sender unit for GAS IT Tanks & GAS IT Plus bottles - GAS IT Leisure Gas Bottles, Gas Cylincers and Gas Tanks - Catering, Motorhome, Campervan, Caravan, Farrier and Road Repair Refillable Gas Solutions. which we find satisfyingly accurate, and it takes the worry out of if we have enough gas or not.
I never have to lift bottles, or wonder where the spanner is in the middle of the night, in fact the only time I ever have to even open the gas cupboard is to show somebody the set up.

Thanks Roamindog, I think Ill invest in one of these. Did you fit yourself, looks straight forward

When you fill don't you look at the litres on the pump?

yes I did, but the maths in the prev post would tell you it was 20 litres, 19.90 to be precise, maybe I should have made that clear for you :lol-053:

which tbf tallies with hairydogs post so now makes sense

I'm a little bemused by that.
Was it a very late Spring 2018 clean, or a rather early Spring 2019 clean?
Or are you in the antipodes?

Erm at the risk of upsetting her that shall be obeyed, lets say it early :)

And as for be used, well thats me.

Touche edits, lol.

my motorhome has a factory fit underbody tank the dash gauge is an absolute joke .

My LP/petrol car has a factory fit LPG system and the gauge is also an absolute joke.

It has a red light & 4 green lights. When full, all green lights are lit and they gradually go off and when the bottom one goes out, the red light comes on indicating an empty tank. This happens at about 110 - 120 miles after filling up. There is still plenty of gas as it will go to 190 - 200 miles before it needs to be switched to petrol. Until this week. Now it has decided that all 4 green lights should stay on all the time. I just ignore it and use the trip to decide when I am getting low instead.

My LP/petrol car has a factory fit LPG system and the gauge is also an absolute joke.

It has a red light & 4 green lights. When full, all green lights are lit and they gradually go off and when the bottom one goes out, the red light comes on indicating an empty tank. This happens at about 110 - 120 miles after filling up. There is still plenty of gas as it will go to 190 - 200 miles before it needs to be switched to petrol. Until this week. Now it has decided that all 4 green lights should stay on all the time. I just ignore it and use the trip to decide when I am getting low instead.

I think I am right in saying that car LPG tanks are different in that they are a liquid takeoff and therefore do not have the 20% gas area like a motorhome bottle or tank. I would imagine that yours has a float valve and could be adjusted for more accuracy.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back