Refillable gas tank problem

Sharon the Cat

I'm hoping that there is some obvious human error at play here. It's too late to phone LPGshop who we got the tank from, until Monday now.
Phill just took our brand new Gas Bank refillable to our local garage for it's first fill.

He said that lpg was spraying out of the filling nozzle as if it wasn't properly connected. People with cars were having no problems. He used the bayonet fitting supplied, please see photos. Cost him £2+ in 3 litres of wasted lpg.

What went wrong?
20230303_171336.jpg

Attachments

• 20230303_171557.jpg
    20230303_171557.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 20230303_171443.jpg
    20230303_171443.jpg
    582.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 20230303_171349.jpg
    20230303_171349.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 72
Daft question BUT is one fitting a fill and the other an outlet ...

IE is the bayonet fitting screwed in the wrong side of the bottle ?

We have gaslow bottles fitted permanently so different set up to you for me to be sure .

Daft question BUT is one fitting a fill and the other an outlet ...

IE is the bayonet fitting screwed in the wrong side of the bottle ?

We have gaslow bottles fitted permanently so different set up to you for me to be sure .
One thread one way and one the other, so bayonet will only fit on one.
No instructions whatsoever with bottle!

Those bottles are tested with air and it is supposed to be let out before being filled with gas.
Are you saying we should have opened the tap and closed it again before trying to fill?
As I said above, there were no instructions.

Are you saying we should have opened the tap and closed it again before trying to fill?
As I said above, there were no instructions.
It looks in the second picture that the o-ring may not be sealing properly, I know Charlie (Autogas 2000) has had a few issues with cheap adapters some people have come into him with. If it isn’t sealing that could be where it’s leaking from.

If you can’t get gas to go into the cylinder it could well be full of air as they do ship filled with air which should be released by the retailer before sale, this is done by opening the valve.

It looks in the second picture that the o-ring may not be sealing properly, I know Charlie (Autogas 2000) has had a few issues with cheap adapters some people have come into him with. If it isn’t sealing that could be where it’s leaking from.

If you can’t get gas to go into the cylinder it could well be full of air as they do ship filled with air which should be released by the retailer before sale, this is done by opening the valve.
Thank you so much for your help.
We've just stood outside for a good 2 minutes listening to all the air hissing out of the tank.
Feel like a right couple of Rodney's now.😳

We bought a new cylinder here in NZ as a secondary back up, the company, Rocgas, told us to tell the Fill station the cylinder is new and it would need purging. I assume it was for the reason Nabsim states?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back