Rear Steadies - to use or not and when

Yep if I had them I'd use them .better than chocks to level van from side to side . Not sure about a 1,5 m overhang thow. ,!

I'm still looking at hydraulic lift system or independent air bags
You cannot use them for levelling. The warning that comes with them makes that plain, they have no serious load bearing ability.

The Chausson Allegro 83, first registered early 2006, that we have just taken delivery of has wind-down rear steadies. We have no experience of these. The motorhome is 6.9m long and the overhang from the rear axle to the rear of the vehicle is 1.9m.

So the question is whether to use or not and when? It seems a bit of a faff winding them down and up and of course there is the very real possibility of me forgetting they are down and driving away!

Thank you for sharing your experience.

If you use them check that they have the feet attached to them - usually grey plastic jobbies. If not carry a couple of pieces of decent thickness wood (or other) to use a bases for when you wind them down. It'll stop them sinking into soft ground.

Could you leave the drill in the cab with the cord wrapped round the steering wheel?
OR, a handwritten note in block capitals taped to the Steering Wheel ... Still have the note from the Caravan, 'RELEASE HANDBRAKE/CHECK JOCKEY WHEEL' for the Ferry Crossings :ROFLMAO:. Low tech functionality, aka Idiot's Guide, although the latter is a misnomer, since one needs a modicum of intelligence to realise that one needs an Idiot's Guide ... (y)

Steve

Worthwhile winding them down and back up occasionally to prevent them seizing.

Otherwise, if you are on honeymoon or it is your birthday use them.
Are we referring to the leg steadies or the male anatomy? Or both? ... :ROFLMAO:

'Good vibrators' by The Beach Boys, as the background music ...

Steve

I used to put the wind down handle over the pedals once the steadies were lowered. You could of course do the same with a drill. This will remind you to raise them before driving.
I put something in front of the speedometer or on the driving seat if we stop for a few minutes and open a top window and this reminds me before driving away to check they are closed.

Reactions: GMJ
Back