Rear Steadies - to use or not and when

UFO

The Chausson Allegro 83, first registered early 2006, that we have just taken delivery of has wind-down rear steadies. We have no experience of these. The motorhome is 6.9m long and the overhang from the rear axle to the rear of the vehicle is 1.9m.

So the question is whether to use or not and when? It seems a bit of a faff winding them down and up and of course there is the very real possibility of me forgetting they are down and driving away!

Thank you for sharing your experience.

The Chausson Allegro 83, first registered early 2006, that we have just taken delivery of has wind-down rear steadies. We have no experience of these. The motorhome is 6.9m long and the overhang from the rear axle to the rear of the vehicle is 1.9m.

So the question is whether to use or not and when? It seems a bit of a faff winding them down and up and of course there is the very real possibility of me forgetting they are down and driving away!

Don't bother with ours unless it's windy ....

Then seconds to wind down with cordless drill ;-)

But don’t forget to wind them up again before you drive off (the voice of experience speaking so we now have hydraulic levellers!!)

The first thing to do as they have probably never been used is to give them a liberal dose of WD40 or the like to free them up.

Then as suggested, use some kind of power tool to wind them up and down rather than the winding handle. I carry an cordless impact wrench for mine.

Unfortunately our van doesn’t have them but our previous van had them I used them if I was staying for more than one night and also at home, to slow any would be thief down as they would have to wind them up before nicking the motorhome.
I used to put the winding handle across the peddles to remind me that the legs were down

Motorcycle chain lube is far better than wd40 ....
as I don't have a motorbike, I a) wouldn't know that; b) have any reason to buy it and c) the "or the like" would cover that.
I would use GasPlus myself if my can was not empty.
As it is, I would use WD40 as that is what I have (A can of WD40 that you have is FAR better than a can of chain lube that you don't :) )

as I don't have a motorbike, I a) wouldn't know that; b) have any reason to buy it and c) the "or the like" would cover that.
I would use GasPlus myself if my can was not empty.
As it is, I would use WD40 as that is what I have (A can of WD40 that you have is FAR better than a can of chain lube that you don't :) )
Just general advice ....

I didn't say YOU or anyone else had to follow it ...

WD40 is barely a lubricant ...
Chain lube will stay on the mechanism longer .

Use whatever YOU have to hand

We had some on one of the vans, tried them & binned them.
I gave them a go (once I freed them up with WD40 ;) ) a couple of years ago and thought they were quite handy. I have a rear shower room and it could help stop rocking when moving down to have a shower or use the loo.

I gave them a go (once I freed them up with WD40 ;) ) a couple of years ago and thought they were quite handy. I have a rear shower room and it could help stop rocking when moving down to have a shower or use the loo.
Do tell us what you're doing in there that you need steadies David.

Yep if I had them I'd use them .better than chocks to level van from side to side . Not sure about a 1,5 m overhang thow. ,!

I'm still looking at hydraulic lift system or independent air bags

Back