REAR NUMBER PLATE MOUNTING HEIGHT.

Mtbcol

Evening all.
Here's one for any legal experts amongst us.
Is there a maximum height for mounting a rear number plate?
The reason I ask is that I will be fitting the two a/c duct pipes from our portable a/c unit semi permanently exiting the rear door of our MK7 transit Medium Height, and the best place for us would be where the number plate is currently fitted. Plan is to mount it at the top of the door, illuminated of course.
Thanks in anticipation.
Colin. 🙂👍

Hows this on my van.
sw  3.jpg

Bit strange the motorbike bit, we have not had front plates here for over 40 years even though the law say you must, we make our own rules up.

It is covered under the construction and use regulations…

Basically you should be OK anywhere as long as it is clearly visible, easily readable, vertical and lit at night.

Evening all.
Here's one for any legal experts amongst us.
Is there a maximum height for mounting a rear number plate?
The reason I ask is that I will be fitting the two a/c duct pipes from our portable a/c unit semi permanently exiting the rear door of our MK7 transit Medium Height, and the best place for us would be where the number plate is currently fitted. Plan is to mount it at the top of the door, illuminated of course.
Thanks in anticipation.
Colin. 🙂👍
The only specific rules regarding number plates are that it must be vertical (or, if not practical, as near as possible) and that if fitted after 01/09/2021, it must comply with BSAU145e. https://www.bnma.org/advice-centre/the-new-rules-british-standard-bs-au-145e/

Bit strange the motorbike bit, we have not had front plates here for over 40 years even though the law say you must, we make our own rules up.
Trev, did you read it? It says you must NOT have a front plate if newer than 2001 and before then it is optional anyway.

It is covered under the construction and use regulations…

Basically you should be OK anywhere as long as it is clearly visible, easily readable, vertical and lit at night.
There is a bit of a gotcha here in that the legislation requires that:​
(5) This paragraph requires the plate to be fixed—
(a)vertically or, where that is not reasonably practicable, in a position as close to the vertical as is reasonably practicable, and
(b)in such a position that in normal daylight the characters of the registration mark are easily distinguishable from every part of a relevant area having the diagonal length specified in paragraph (6).
(6) The diagonal length of the relevant area is—
(a)in the case of a mark having characters the width of which is at least 57 millimetres, 22 metres,
(b)in the case of a mark having characters the width of which is 50 millimetres, 21.5 metres,
(c)in the case of a mark having characters the width of which is 44 millimetres, 18 metres.

The 'relevant area' is a diamond shape at ground level with equal axes and with the front corner positioned directly under the numberplate. Given that it's impossible for the characters to be easily distinguishable from directly below the numberplate (i.e. reading edge-on), strictly, this requirement is impossible to meet and hence the only (strictly) legal numberplate position is mounted in the space specified by type approval legislation. AFAICT, this is Regulation (EU) 2015/166, which provides different criteria depending on whether the upper edge of the plate is above or below 1.2 metres from the ground. However, that regulation cites others -- and I didn't have time to go down that particular rabbit hole!

Basically, I suspect that you'll be OK provided that the numberplate is readable from any reasonable standing position in the 'relevant area' and lit with appropriately marked fittings. HTH

Trev, did you read it? It says you must NOT have a front plate if newer than 2001 and before then it is optional anyway.

For a government statement it is very clear and unambiguous.

"If you ride a motorbike or motor tricycle
Motorcycles and motor tricycles registered on or after 1 September 2001 must only display a number plate at the rear of the vehicle.

If you ride a motorbike or motor tricycle registered before 1 September 2001 you can also display a number plate at the front, but you do not have to."

Someone e know with a motorhome drove with a kayak obscuring his number plate. Got to Portugal and the GNR made hime remove it into motorhome, and fined him.

Just to say thank you for all the ideas and advice on this. I'll be going ahead with my rear door top, illuminated number plate plan this spring. Thanks everyone 🙂👍

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back