Really wild!

PaulC

Hi

Has anybody seen on the internet the guy who is living in a converted van on a beach at Loch Ness (google search for Steve Feltham), It appears he is looking for "Nessie" and makes models of him to sell to tourists. Does anybody know anything about him and his van because the info on the net seems to repeat itself most of the time.

acording to form .he went there years ago to look for nessie.there was a documentry on tv, as far as i can remember it was about 15 years ago i think, dont know for shure. but he must have liked what he saw to still be there.

It would seem that he is still on the banks of Loch Ness as far as I can gather from other sites. There also used to be somebody else living in a carvan many years ago and he was a bit of a "character". How can they do it without any hassle! Perhaps Scotland or the wilds nobody is bothered.

Saggart I see you do not live too far from Loch Ness! I'm really intrigued by this situation, because in the 70's me and some school friends took our first camping holiday at Invermoriston, no doubt due to all the Nessie sightings. Is he still looking for "Nessie"? Anyhow is it a suitable place for wildcamping because it appears he is parked on the side of the loch, how does he do it if he has been there for 15 years?

Tolerated is the answer! He and similar have been viewed as tourist draws who keep the story alive (bear in mind the original Columba story happened in the River Ness NOT the Loch).
Wild camping is quite difficult anywhere along the lochside from Spean Bridge to the outskirts on Inverness on the A82. There are a few laybys after Spean Bridge heading north, a possibility at Laggan Locks, but from then on its tricky. Some carparks(Invermoriston & Drumnadrochaid) will allow during winter (the magic S prefix on a numberplate helps), that at Castle Urquahart is a no no and laybys nearer to Inverness are on the edge of the road and very noisy + plus you may have your door torn open by a MacLeods artic.
There are places off the A82 and on the B682, but I have never looked too seriously as I tend to drive from Skye to Inverness on shopping & business trips and park my van nearer the city.

loch ness

paul c, i parked up at the small carpark at the end of the canal, just as it enters loch ness( fort Augustus). an axcelent location. it does say no over night parking but if you move on about 9ish your o.k.

Similarly at the Inverness end, just opposite the Business Park, youi can get away with overnighting at the lock gate carpark...there's a sign on the left to the Park and on the right to an antiques place, restaurant and canal

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 76

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back