Radio Scotland - Tourism

• Thread starter Deleted member 48528
  • Start date
Aires in Scotland are an interesting suject, and I think that the letter in the OP is excellent.
However due to the big influence of the Green party in the Scottish parliament I fear that aires will become irrelevant with the proposed introduction of perhaps over 40 lezs with a minimum standard of Euro 6 within two to three years. The aires will be redundant if the majority of motorhomes find it very difficult to reach them.

Where abouts is this, Trev?

Didn't mention the other European countries specificallyas we only have personal experience of France, Barge.

Lesley

About 6/7 miles east of ballymena a42 on the back mountain road to carnlough,not far from slemish mtn and gibraltar war camps.

Attachments

• donard camp 9.jpg
    donard camp 9.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 80
  • dc 9.jpg
    dc 9.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 80
  • donard camp 8.jpg
    donard camp 8.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 80
Aires in Scotland are an interesting suject, and I think that the letter in the OP is excellent.
However due to the big influence of the Green party in the Scottish parliament I fear that aires will become irrelevant with the proposed introduction of perhaps over 40 lezs with a minimum standard of Euro 6 within two to three years. The aires will be redundant if the majority of motorhomes find it very difficult to reach them.

Um, what are 'lezs'?

Lesley

About 6/7 miles east of ballymena a42 on the back mountain road to carnlough,not far from slemish mtn and gibraltar war camps.

So they actually have the proper thingy for emptying the toilet cassette, brilliant! First I,ve seen in these islands. Can I post the picture on the Scotland Outdoors FB page please?

Lesley

Yeah I can’t go into Paris etc Dave as my hymer is too old ,if they do go ahead here as other posts have stated if 40areas are lez compliant and Glasgow is the first moving around is going to be a bit problematic?
In all fairness we try not to enter city centres ,park n ride as even edin imho don’t want vehicles in !

So they actually have the proper thingy for emptying the toilet cassette, brilliant! First I,ve seen in these islands. Can I post the picture on the Scotland Outdoors FB page please?

Lesley

Yes no prob,there are also ones at the commons donaghadee co down,we are leading the field.

Attachments

• Screenshot-2017-11-18 The Commons, Millisle Road, Donaghadee, Donaghadee.png
    Screenshot-2017-11-18 The Commons, Millisle Road, Donaghadee, Donaghadee.png
    210.8 KB · Views: 72
Update

Well, it was a very interesting programme this morning. Campervans mentioned a lot, and pleased to,say they read out our email and were appreciative of it. You can listen again on BBC iPlayer, or download the podcast from midday today.

The first half hour was about Skye and the infrastructure (we are about 20 Minutes in), then there was a bit about cruise ships, then more about infrastructure, plans, problems etc. The main problems are road surfaces, parking and toilets of course. Apparently they are going to make a bigger car park at the fairy pools, along with hook ups for RVs (?), and the islanders are keen to get started without anymore ,committees' there was talk of a campervan tax on the ferry ticket to help fund facilities for campervans. They interviewed various people with ref to the NC500 and the proposed NC250, which is the Grampian region. They thought more education is needed for people hiring campers, e.g. They get off a plane from China, hire a van with no training about how to drive on single track roads.

It seems Scotland is waking up to the possibilities of increased tourism in a positive way. We're wondering if it's a good time for us as a wildcamping forum to make some sort of representation to some of the organisations to put our views at the beginning of the planning rather than wait til it's done, and then complain that we were not considered. What do you think?

David and Lesley

Just listened to the excellent BBC Radio Scotland programme whilst we are in sunny Australia. I agree there was really good coverage of you excellent e-mail. Let’s hope the talking turns into actual action and we get the needed infrastructure improvements.

Jim and Hazel

Well, it was a very interesting programme this morning. Campervans mentioned a lot, and pleased to,say they read out our email and were appreciative of it. You can listen again on BBC iPlayer, or download the podcast from midday today.

The first half hour was about Skye and the infrastructure (we are about 20 Minutes in), then there was a bit about cruise ships, then more about infrastructure, plans, problems etc. The main problems are road surfaces, parking and toilets of course. Apparently they are going to make a bigger car park at the fairy pools, along with hook ups for RVs (?), and the islanders are keen to get started without anymore ,committees' there was talk of a campervan tax on the ferry ticket to help fund facilities for campervans. They interviewed various people with ref to the NC500 and the proposed NC250, which is the Grampian region. They thought more education is needed for people hiring campers, e.g. They get off a plane from China, hire a van with no training about how to drive on single track roads.

It seems Scotland is waking up to the possibilities of increased tourism in a positive way. We're wondering if it's a good time for us as a wildcamping forum to make some sort of representation to some of the organisations to put our views at the beginning of the planning rather than wait til it's done, and then complain that we were not considered. What do you think?

David and Lesley

Dave if you pm phil he may be able to send something to them from Motorhomer.com as this info is exactly the sort of piece we need to act on ,if it’s from wild camping g I don’t think it would cover the same clout
Regards Gordon

Will do that Gordon. Will contact the program too to see if we can find out what sort of people we can contact.

Cheers
Lesley and David

Dave if you pm phil he may be able to send something to them from Motorhomer.com as this info is exactly the sort of piece we need to act on ,if it’s from wild camping g I don’t think it would cover the same clout
Regards Gordon

100% with you on this.

Its up to us to educate locally. A landowner in this town is developing a small industrial estate almost in the centre. I have spoken to him about making it motorhome friendly. Don't know yet how much he has taken on board but it was worth a try. As he pays for water he needs to find a way of charging. He is well aware that having motorhomers onsite it can cut down anti social behaviour (not that we have much of that here).

David and Lesley

Yes

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back