Question for those using French Reglo data SIM card

Moped

I’ve been using the Reglo data SIM card for 10 days now.

In the coastal areas of France we have been visiting we have been receiving a good 4+ signal.

However during the day, whilst the signal strength remains good, the connection which uses SFR goes down so the mobile internet does not work.

When this happens I switch to the O2 roaming data which uses Orange and this works fine. After a time I switch back to Reglo and the connection is back.

Bit puzzled as to why the Reglo connection keeps dropping even though there is a strong signal indicated.

I do create phone hotspots a lot, to allow Mrs Moped internet use, and was wondering if this type of use was time limited by Reglo, which then choked or cut off the connection after a time.

We are also in very busy seaside areas and was wondering if a high number of users during peak times meant the service had to be rationed by randomly disconnecting users from the service.

Any advice and user experiences of Reglo would be welcome.

Sorry can't help with your question but can you say where an if there where any problems getting the sim like did you need French address or anything else to be prepared for ?

To get a SIM just go into a leclerc. Pick up the size of data card you want and take it to a checkout in the electrical part of the store. They will require a payment card, and then something to validate the person buying it eg Passport or Driving Licence. The card will be working inside 15 minutes for the 28 day duration. Whether you decide to throw it away or go online to add data when it’s finished is your choice, you are not required to sign up in any way. If you do as I did and throw the card and buy new then you lose the €5 value of the card.

sometimes, even with a good signal, 4g can slow down if there are a lot of users in the area. I have noticed, when that happens, using 3g can actually be faster because nobody uses it.

sometimes, even with a good signal, 4g can slow down if there are a lot of users in the area. I have noticed, when that happens, using 3g can actually be faster because nobody uses it.
I do this regularly in the UK by restricting my phone to 3g connection.

I used a Réglo SIM during my recent trip to France and didn't experience the OP's problem, but it would certainly be worth selecting 3g to see if it helps.

I used a phone hotspot for 8 weeks with a Réglo Mobile SIM card - no issue there (but there can be with mobile routers and the like). As you suggest, probably demand exceeding supply during peak holiday season.

I used a phone hotspot for 8 weeks with a Réglo Mobile SIM card - no issue there (but there can be with mobile routers and the like). As you suggest, probably demand exceeding supply during peak holiday season.

Despite the companies saying different that does happen 🤬

Recently whilst at the Norfolk Motorhome show on the Norfolk showground, Costessey i had the same happen with my Tesco Mobile ( O2 ) service.

The wife who`s still contracted to Three said hers went very slow but was still useable just. mine wasn`t so i gave up.

First thing in the morning between approx 5am and 9am mine was absolutely fine with a very strong 4G+ signal that was super fast and reliable but after 9am when everyone was up using their phones and mifi units and the public started piling in the signal was hopeless and very often cut data completely. Phone calls and texts were still possible though.

I rang Tesco Mobile whio said their signal check showed the signal there was a good strong 4G both indoor and outdoor so they suggested i bought a more up to date phone which would give a better signal, i queried if my 6 month old Samsung was already out of date and asked if i should buy a new phone monthly :unsure:

As an update have now moved about 30km up the coast and so far Reglo service has had 100% uptime as and when required. Use it the listen to radio or watch various TV players and newspaper downloads. So maybe it was a capacity situation at the previous location, or maybe there was ongoing mast maintenance and downtime.

The 4G to 3G swap thing could work so I’ll try that if any future issues but I thought France was phasing out 3G, although I may be wrong. Currently getting 4G+ so very happy with speed.

Just remembered this today could be of help
But bear in mind also: "Pour souscrire au Service, l’abonné doit pouvoir justifier d’un lien stable en France métropolitaine et être titulaire d’une adresse email valide." https://mobile.free.fr/docs/cga/Conditions_Generales_Abonnement.pdf
Are you ale to advise that this is not implemented in practice?

To get a SIM just go into a leclerc. Pick up the size of data card you want and take it to a checkout in the electrical part of the store. They will require a payment card, and then something to validate the person buying it eg Passport or Driving Licence. The card will be working inside 15 minutes for the 28 day duration. Whether you decide to throw it away or go online to add data when it’s finished is your choice, you are not required to sign up in any way. If you do as I did and throw the card and buy new then you lose the €5 value of the card.
just noticed your post which is very helpful, i am going to france in the next week or so and want to purchase a SIM from Leclerc, can i ask what happens to the sim after 28 days does it expire and you loose any credit and need a new SIM or if you top it up does it carry on until the credit runs out if not topped up, Thanks in advance

just noticed your post which is very helpful, i am going to france in the next week or so and want to purchase a SIM from Leclerc, can i ask what happens to the sim after 28 days does it expire and you loose any credit and need a new SIM or if you top it up does it carry on until the credit runs out if not topped up, Thanks in advance
Yes, use the data or you lose it if it’s unused after the 28 days are up. You are able to top-up rather than buying a new card if you wish. The SIM card deal is for example €9.95 plus €5 = €14.95 for whatever the value is for the data, the top-up would then be for 28 days and €9.95. So the bare card is €5. You get a phone number with the card

what I did was to buy a card, stick it in the phone and advise a couple of people what my ‘holiday’ number was going to be, and then hotspot to my iPad for use of the data. Easy!

In the coastal areas of France we have been visiting we have been receiving a good 4+ signal.

However during the day, whilst the signal strength remains good, the connection which uses SFR goes down so the mobile internet does not work.

When this happens I switch to the O2 roaming data which uses Orange and this works fine. After a time I switch back to Reglo and the connection is back.

Bit puzzled as to why the Reglo connection keeps dropping even though there is a strong signal indicated.

I do create phone hotspots a lot, to allow Mrs Moped internet use, and was wondering if this type of use was time limited by Reglo, which then choked or cut off the connection after a time.

We are also in very busy seaside areas and was wondering if a high number of users during peak times meant the service had to be rationed by randomly disconnecting users from the service.

Not a Reglo user, but on our last trip a few weeks ago, I regularly had to switch provider to get the best speed even though they were all showing the same signal strength, luckily EE/Popit gives a few alternative providers.

Yes, use the data or you lose it if it’s unused after the 28 days are up. You are able to top-up rather than buying a new card if you wish. The SIM card deal is for example €9.95 plus €5 = €14.95 for whatever the value is for the data, the top-up would then be for 28 days and €9.95. So the bare card is €5. You get a phone number with the card

what I did was to buy a card, stick it in the phone and advise a couple of people what my ‘holiday’ number was going to be, and then hotspot to my iPad for use of the data. Easy!
Note that the SIM is activated on purchase, so your calendar month (not 28 days) starts running immediately. Easy to set up an online account to manage top-ups.
Also note that a UK passport may not be sufficient proof when purchasing as they record the purchaser's address; if that has to be proved by documentation, a UK passport will not do it but a photo driving licence will.

Not a Reglo user, but on our last trip a few weeks ago, I regularly had to switch provider to get the best speed even though they were all showing the same signal strength, luckily EE/Popit gives a few alternative providers.
With my Popit SIM, I found that speeds were generally OK with the default network, though occasionally I had to select manually, but (surprisingly) I encountered problems getting any sort of usable connection in départements 17 and 85, where I had problems in both countryside and towns.

Despite the companies saying different that does happen 🤬

Recently whilst at the Norfolk Motorhome show on the Norfolk showground, Costessey i had the same happen with my Tesco Mobile ( O2 ) service.

The wife who`s still contracted to Three said hers went very slow but was still useable just. mine wasn`t so i gave up.

First thing in the morning between approx 5am and 9am mine was absolutely fine with a very strong 4G+ signal that was super fast and reliable but after 9am when everyone was up using their phones and mifi units and the public started piling in the signal was hopeless and very often cut data completely. Phone calls and texts were still possible though.

I rang Tesco Mobile whio said their signal check showed the signal there was a good strong 4G both indoor and outdoor so they suggested i bought a more up to date phone which would give a better signal, i queried if my 6 month old Samsung was already out of date and asked if i should buy a new phone monthly :unsure:
Did you get an answer?

We're not Reglo users either however, we recently switched to Popit from O2 following a recommendation and used it a few weeks ago in France and Spain and never had any issues with connecting. Activation was straight forward which is plus for someone like me :p We'll be using the SIM again in our MoHo when we travel up to Loch Lomond this weekend.

How long is the Reglo SIM card active after initial 28 days period is over ?

Hi everyone,

I bought a Reglo SIM card 3 weeks ago. I used the 110 GB version "Sans Engagement" which cost 11.95 Euro for Dat volume + 5 Euro SIM card fee.
I know it will usable for another week. Overall expericnce in Bretagne Region was really good and I even can use it now that I am back in Germany.

I will return for France next year for another vacation :)

Does anyone have experience if Reglo will deactivate the card completely if you do not top up the data volume after the 28 days are over ?

They will not deactivate the card completely for a significant time (many months - not sure off the cuff whether more or less than 12). However, if you reactivate, they will charge for outstanding months based on the last bundle that you had in place. Better to buy a new card next year unless you find RWG or Popit a more attractive alternative. (RWG and Popit have the advantage that you are roaming and can connect to any available network, whereas with Réglo Mobile you are tied to SFR while in France and if they have no coverage or inadequate bandwidth (which I have encountered in some places) you have poor or no Internet.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back