Question for Hymer gurus

mygrassisblue

Free Member
While under the van last week refitting a torn mudflap, I noticed it has wind down stabiliser legs with a 19mm hex shaft.
Does anybody know if there is a special tool hidden in my van for this or should I buy a ratchet and extension so I don't have to crawl under each time?
Nothing in the toolkit as far as I can see.
Also, I found 3 round bars which slot together with spring clips and smallest end has a groove like the opposite of an awning winder. Any idea what this is for?
Cheers
Don

Tool

On my b544 there's a spanner to wind them down in the cupboard on the right as you step into the can ,it's stored in a tube on the door .its a s shape can take a photo tomorrow of the storage and the tool if you want .Its amazing at the Lanark meet how many people commented on the fact a vehicle of its age had them installed and would've liked to have them on their modern vans😀😀😀😀

While under the van last week refitting a torn mudflap, I noticed it has wind down stabiliser legs with a 19mm hex shaft.
Does anybody know if there is a special tool hidden in my van for this or should I buy a ratchet and extension so I don't have to crawl under each time?
Nothing in the toolkit as far as I can see.
Also, I found 3 round bars which slot together with spring clips and smallest end has a groove like the opposite of an awning winder. Any idea what this is for?
Cheers
Don

Photos would help with poles.theyre not for a jack?

Have them on my E690, there is a caravan type wheel brace thing in the toolkit for them, which was too small to fit the wheel bolts.

Threw me a bit at first as to what it was for until I took a look underneath.

Buy an appropriate socket, long extension bar and use a cordless drill.
Makes the job easy.

My S700 has the steadies fitted. Mine has two at the rear, some have four fitted front and rear. All I use is a 19mm combi spanner for them. Once loosed from the locked position (a small pin in the bracket fits into the centre of the base) they swing down and can be adjusted by pressing the small arm in to let the leg hit the ground. THEY ARE NOT JACKS and wont take any weight, they are there only to steady the van when parked. A slight nip with the spanner is all that is needed when deploying them or setting them back in their bracket for travelling.

I only ever used them when I had the Safari Room on, staying long term on a site.

The round bar is the handle for the jack. This is held in place on my vehicle by a press stud tie just inside the boot. The jack is held in place by a metal loop that you wind it up into.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies.
There is a box spanner in the toolkit but it is a slack fit so I don't think that is it.
When I find a diy shop in Portugal, I will get an extension for my 19mm socket.
The steadies make a huge difference when down possibly because of the soft Merc suspension on rear.
I will keep looking for any hidden tools as well.

Mine has steadies in each corner, they do not need a brace or spanner (although looking at them it may appear that you do). They are released with a small handle on the side which allows them to move from the retaining clips and drop down. a picture of yours would be ueful, where in Portugal are you?

Yes I have a hex socket already but need to find an extension and a 1/2" drive ratchet.
Managing with a spanner at the moment but don't want to lie in the mud if it rains - as if...

Skar,
We are at the aire in Bequerenca near Penamacor at the moment and for the next couple of days.
Not going much further south than this as 29 degrees today and hot enough for me.

I've got the 2 wind down rear legs on mine and the only time I have used them is to make sure they operate ok.I think they are the most pointless accessory fitted on the van and unnecessary.

Cheers
Don

Could this tool be to wind down the spare wheel from it's storage under the chassis ?

Paul.

Could this tool be to wind down the spare wheel from it's storage under the chassis ?

Paul.

On my 1992 S700 there is no wind down for the spare It is help by a bolt that when slackened can be swung out of the way to let the carrier drop. The wheel is held in the carrier by a normal wheel nut on a stud. Can be a bit scary when you first try it but it is easy really.

As I said before the handle is for the supplied jack. It may have been removed by a previous owner if it is not in its carrier in the boot.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back