Puriclean and Truma boilers

MarkJ

Free Member
I keep finding threads where people saying they’ve “heard all the stories about Puriclean damaging Truma boilers” but I can never find those stories, just people talking about them.

And I rang 4 shops/maintenance places today and they all said it was fine to run Puriclean through a Truma boiler...

Can anybody confirm from personal experience either that Puriclean definitely damaged their boiler, or that they’ve been using it for years with no adverse effect!

Thanks, as ever....

My motorhome is now just over 12 years old and i`ve been using Puriclean in it for all of them years. Check out some of my old threads :idea:

When we first got it the water had a plasticy taste and it was recommended to do two cleans maybe a month or so apart which i did and it cleared the taste :hammer:

After that i do it twice a year, half a 400g tub each time and everything is still working and tasting fine :hammer:

We drink water straight from the fresh tank and are still alive to tell the story :dance:

My motorhome is now just over 12 years old and i`ve been using Puriclean in it for all of them years. Check out some of my old threads :idea:

When we first got it the water had a plasticy taste and it was recommended to do two cleans maybe a month or so apart which i did and it cleared the taste :hammer:

After that i do it twice a year, half a 400g tub each time and everything is still working and tasting fine :hammer:

We drink water straight from the fresh tank and are still alive to tell the story :dance:

Thank you. Good to hear....

tea test

Just had an episode with the water tasting of TCP. Tank cleaned out using Puriclean at the start of the season then I refilled using my own home tap. A day or so later the water tasted of TCP and the tea tasted horrible, I tasted the water from the tap I had used to refill the tank and it was fine. flushed and refilled the tank a couple of times and still the same taste from the van tank. I emailed the Puriclean people who were most helpful and explaining that the TCP taste was general due to phenol from flexible plastic pipes leaching into the water.

That sounded logical except that it had never happened before. I returned to the tap I used to fill the van and it was fine, then I realised I had bought a new coiled plastic hose, the type that look a little like an air line, and filled a cup from that. TCP taste big time!

I then used my trusty watering can to fill the van tank and bingo, all was fine.

So remember when filling your water tank to taste the source water and be very careful of plastic hose pipes of the airline type. I also have now treated the water with a small dose of Aquasol from the same people that make Puriclean as it help to maintain the taste and freshness of the stored water. I really cannot praise "Cleantabs" the suppliers of both Puriclean and Aquasol enough for there prompt reply and help in this matter. Needless to say I have no connection with them except as a satisfied customer.

Just had an episode with the water tasting of TCP. Tank cleaned out using Puriclean at the start of the season then I refilled using my own home tap. A day or so later the water tasted of TCP and the tea tasted horrible, I tasted the water from the tap I had used to refill the tank and it was fine. flushed and refilled the tank a couple of times and still the same taste from the van tank. I emailed the Puriclean people who were most helpful and explaining that the TCP taste was general due to phenol from flexible plastic pipes leaching into the water.

That sounded logical except that it had never happened before. I returned to the tap I used to fill the van and it was fine, then I realised I had bought a new coiled plastic hose, the type that look a little like an air line, and filled a cup from that. TCP taste big time!

I then used my trusty watering can to fill the van tank and bingo, all was fine.

So remember when filling your water tank to taste the source water and be very careful of plastic hose pipes of the airline type. I also have now treated the water with a small dose of Aquasol from the same people that make Puriclean as it help to maintain the taste and freshness of the stored water. I really cannot praise "Cleantabs" the suppliers of both Puriclean and Aquasol enough for there prompt reply and help in this matter. Needless to say I have no connection with them except as a satisfied customer.
good post makes me think their is some Truth in using a food quality hose pipe ?.

Using Milton Steriliser is aledge to react to the stainless steel lining so advised not to use. Although no product mentioned, Truma recommends not using this type of steriliser.

good post makes me think their is some Truth in using a food quality hose pipe ?.

Not really. The water passing through the hose is in contact with it for a second or two which isn't long enough to have any effect.

The crucial thing to do is to ensure the hose is emptied after use which I suspect may not have been the case in the original post.

You cannot beat a good watering can. On other sites you see the same old pictures dragged out time and again of all the connectors and hose pipe bits and pieces YOU just have to carry. Including the one about FOOD SAFE hose pipes.

Never tried drinking ours .. :scared:

From experience

Not really. The water passing through the hose is in contact with it for a second or two which isn't long enough to have any effect.

The crucial thing to do is to ensure the hose is emptied after use which I suspect may not have been the case in the original post.

As I said I tasted the water from the tap which was fine. The new semi hard plastic hose had been flushed through several times and I then tasted the water from the hose which was tainted. This has never happened with the normal larger diameter green garden type hose, this was a new semi hard plastic hose which was self coiling airline type. It actually tainted the water as it passed through, if I had not carefully checked and tried it myself then I too would be sceptical.

Like I said before, you know where you are with a watering can.....

Out of curiosity, I rang Truma and they said the only cleaner they would recommend would be 20% solution of white wine vinegar in water. ANY chlorine-based cleaner (which includes both Milton and Puriclean) should not be used.....

At the risk of stating the obvious the pot (potable) water hoses are made for a very simple reason. They are the right hoses for the job. We took great care of the pot water hose on the rigs and platforms for that very reason, they were fitted with caps and were sent to the boat with the cap on, the boat smacked it off with a hammer and then connected to their pipe work. Same same on the returning trip by crane.

All my hoses are pot, none are garden. Pot is obvious as it is blue. Yes its a bit more expensive but its a specilised bit of kit. We have never had a water issue yet and that is over 20 years now.

B2

Slightly off topic but responding to this posting.

I use a hose on a roll, usually every week to 10 days. So for this period, the hose reel is either in the locker or standing in the sun, by the van or tap.
If I unroll the hose directly into the tank filler and commence filling the result is plastic taste to the water. There is always going to be water in the hose when on the reel. This may be days, week or even months since it's last use. Best to give it a good long flush out before pointing it into the potable tank. Hoses left in the sun can really taint your supply.

Careful choice of hose makes a big difference. In my experience, the worst hose for taint is the green re-inforced garden hose. Cheapest isn't always the best choice. Darker colours will help prevent sunlight from penetrating the hose walls, if food grade can be found that is the best.

Colloidal silver in your tank is helpful.

james

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back