Pub Stopovers - Anyone else experienced number limitations?

peterd13

I have been using Wild Camping Locations for a number of years now. Having always hated the whole concept of close communal living epitomized by campsites, using these really appeal. My wife and I go away a lot in our van, which means we have used a large number in locations across the UK. We have never been moved on or experienced any difficulty whatsoever apart from the odd hiccup of difficulty in finding one or two of the obscure ones, that is, until this last Bank Holiday weekend when we tried a pub stopover for the first time in the Peak District.

Wanting to find somewhere to eat and to stay for the night we decided to kill two birds with one stone and the Angler's Rest at Millers Dale came up on the Tom Tom as the closest. We duly turned up and announced ourselves to a young lady behind the bar and, I thought, made it clear that we wanted to order a meal and stay the night. We had noticed, when we drove in that there was already a Chausson in one corner of the car park. This had encouraged us into thinking that it would be a good location. I have to say that the meal was excellent and good value for money. We polished off a nice bottle of Merlot between us in the anticipation of not having to drive anywhere afterwards.

We duly paid for the meal and decided to retire for the night in the van. We had hardly settled in when there was a rap on the door. On opening it the publican appeared with the exclamation: "You're not intending to stay the night are you?" Our impression was that he thought that we had just turned up and decided to stay. We explained that we had spoken to the young lady behind the bar to which he retorted: "Oh her, she's only been with us a week!" He then went on to explain that he was limited to one van a night (by whom he didn't explain), but muttered something about 'the neighbours'. He had no intention of being flexible about this so we were forced to move on and find somewhere else.

This whole episode left a sour taste and we most certainly will not be returning to the Angler's Rest and I doubt if we will try any other pub stopover again. I just wondered if anyone else had encountered this arbitrary 'one van' rule because I suspect that the publican made this one up when he thought he had caught us trying to stay without permission. It's his loss in the end. With pubs struggling for custom these days I would have thought that you cannot afford to turn people away. In future, when in the area, we will use one of the other excellent wild camping stopovers and eat at another restaurant or cook our own food.

Last edited:
It sounds as if you spoke to the wrong person.
In my experience I always ask for the manager and so far had no refusals.
I did it three weeks ago locally and once when I was in Scotland [Ladybank]
I even filled my fresh water tank up for free too while stopping the night there.
Not come across that rule of only allowing one van per car park so I can’t help you.
Sounds as if you suspicions maybe well founded..

Aspire255

The Anglers Rest has had a lot of trouble with a neighbour complaining about motorhomes stopping.

Last year we stayed a night and was told a maximum of two nights a month was allowed.

Its a good pub and deserves supporting in spite of and because of the above. It must be a right wind up for them turning people away!

Rob

Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960.

Use of land as a caravan site is subject to the provisions of the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960.

Paragraph 2 allows use of land as a caravan site by someone travelling in a caravan as long as three conditions are met:
a) the stay is for no more than two nights
b) no more than one caravan being used for human habitation is on the land at the time
c) the land is not used for human habitation in caravans for more than 28 days in any 12 month period.
So, a pub landlord or farmer (for instance) can perfectly legally allow people in motorhomes to stay overnight occasionally but breaks the law if there is more than one motorhome in use at any one time and/or a stay exceeds 2 nights and/or such use is allowed for more than 28 days in any 12 month period.

So not the landlord to blame after all...

Red Wharf Bay Anglesey

I stopped at Red wharf bay and went into the Ship Inn. I asked could I stay the night if we used the bar and restaurant. I got a definite NO but they did explain nicely that we could stay in the allocated parking bays on the little road that led to the pub. On the way out I noticed this sign which I completely missed going in to ask. P5011741.jpgP5011742.jpg I also noticed this other little blue camper van which looked like its been there a number of years. I bet they can't get rid of this camper so they are stopping them all :lol-053: ..
.... Tom ....

Yes, the exception to 1960 act only allows one unit as pointed out.

Most places turn a blind eye to that, but if they have had complaints from NIMBYs the heat is on from the local planning authority. Strictly the Publican could be found to be in beach of the law, and it's him who is liable as the land owner for permitting a caravan site, so actually he was correct.

So to avoid sucking anymore lemons one of the golden rules should be at a pub or similar location 'ones company twos illegal'!

The Anglers Rest has had a lot of trouble with a neighbour complaining about motorhomes stopping.

Last year we stayed a night and was told a maximum of two nights a month was allowed.

Its a good pub and deserves supporting in spite of and because of the above. It must be a right wind up for them turning people away!

Rob

I can confirm the above - I have stayed overnight, and was made welcome by the landlord. This unfortunate situation with the neighbours developed after a successful and very well supported meet at the pub.

It is not a typical situation, and the OP was unlucky.

As ever, it is advised to phone the pub before travelling, unless you're in the vicinity, and to always confirm with the landlord or manager that an overnight stay is in order.

I always call or email in advance and confirm things when I arrive and before I buy anything

People love to complain. Locals who dont drink in the pub will probably see any chance they can get to ring the council and compalin.
Pub landlords dont want an trouble with the police / council... their licence can be suspended etc etc.

When it some to private property you always need to ask the actual land owner.

As for pubs etc, I would defo ask to speak to the actual land lord. If he / she is not about then I would move on.

I understand the landlord being worried about complaining neighbours and I do agree to check with the manager/landlord before stopping, however, forcing you to move on when you have had a drink surly is not good practise for anyone? Even the police would not force you to drive away knowing you have had a drink! I would have tried to fight my corner a little harder rather than risk my licence driving after having a drink!

I understand the landlord being worried about complaining neighbours and I do agree to check with the manager/landlord before stopping, however, forcing you to move on when you have had a drink surly is not good practise for anyone? Even the police would not force you to drive away knowing you have had a drink! I would have tried to fight my corner a little harder rather than risk my licence driving after having a drink!
As A licencee, I understand your sentiments and indeed "unofficial"policing of drink driving is one of our responsibilities in the context that as part of the exam we do to obtain a licence we need to demonstrate an understanding of the law and be seen proactive in the discouragement of anti social behaviour.

I suspect that in the OPs case, the blame for want of a better word lies split bewteen two parties.

The Op whilst making it clear to a member of staff, that overnighting was the intention, invested their trust in a person with no authority furthermore failed to inform her manager of the Ops intentions.

In respect of the landlord, people fail to realise that there are several agencies that can cease him trading .Police , Local authority licensing officers, environmental health (far reaching powers) customs and excise, and trading standards.Please remember a pub needs to be open for the landlord to make a living so little wonder anything which could prejudice his position will be dealt with swiftly.

if you were in my pub, I wouldnt ask you to move on if you had a drink, but I would be nervous of the repurcussions.(having allowed you to stay should a visit from the LA happen and I assure you it does )

It seems to me on this occasion a status quo through mis communication all sides

Channa

I stay in pub car parks at least two or three times a month (too often more than this) and have yet to be refused or asked to move on. Although after seeing the state of some pubs and the poor quality of the beer they sell, I've moved on of my own accord many times.

If I intend visiting a particular pub from afar I always telephone ahead and ask to speak to who's in charge. I then introduce myself and tell them exactly what I intend to do (subject to their permission) and tell them the size of my van and ask for their name (so I can meet and thank them personally when I arrive).

If like me, you like a decent pint; then I use and recommend the CAMRA Good Beer Guide. This gives addresses, phone numbers etc. and will tell you whether the pub has a car park or not. Electronic versions for both Android and iPhone are available for around a fiver - well worth it. Pays for itself in one trip.

So, the golden rule is to ALWAYS speak to the landlord/lady or the duty manager first.

:cheers:

If the ref. about a well supported meeting at this pub being the *****************s charity meet, which i attended, caused the neighbour to go off on one then you are grossly mistaken, there has been a dispute between the two parties long before this, why the neighbour moved to an area where theres a pub or remain where theres a pub if he dosen't like it is beyond me. It is unfortunate that they have a 1 van rule, beryl and her husband are gr8. Its the powers above that make therules not them. I do agree though had i been the licencesee i would have let you stay the night on provision i had your keys to prove to the powers you were in fact intoxicated and incapable of driving.

I use and recommend the CAMRA Good Beer Guide.

I did contact CAMRA and ask if they can add an icon or similar to show if landlords would be open to m/h parking at their pubs. Like all good british authorities they poo poo'd the idea.

I don't think the motorhome parking icon displayed either in a guide or at pubs would be a good idea.

According to the 1960 act exception quoted above it's only supposed to be for occasional circumstances, one unit, and not more than 28 days in a 12 month period. It's not designed for official or semi-offical arrangements for stopovers. What if a pub displays the symbol and finds after a couple of months they have already had 28 days stays. Are they supposed to take it out of the guide for the rest of the year; how can they do that it if has been printed, published, and distributed? Such a symbol displayed either in a guide or at the pub would also attract the attention of local NIMBYs or council officers whereas a phonecall in advance or a quiet word over the bar won't.

CAMERA shouldn't have poo-poo'd it but explained patiently the constraints. If the idea is to maximise the use of pubs for stopovers then I'm sure that's best done on an ad-hoc basis.

If the idea is to maximise the use of pubs for stopovers then I'm sure that's best done on an ad-hoc basis.
Or suggest to the pub, if they want motorhomes staying on a regular basis, that they get an Exemption Certificate, for example through Practical Motorhome's Nightstop Scheme whose pubs are Certificated by the Motor Caravanners Club.

AndyC

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back