Pub stop mis-use

st3v3

I've phoned a lot of pubs lately (half a dozen ish) and am starting to get the same story.

Either a flat no, or they are charging to stay in the car park, irrespective of you having booked a meal.

And the reason is always the same - people taking the p!ss.

So thanks to the free loading lot for ruining something we quite enjoy. :mad2:

Ten quid or so to stay overnight with a voucher for 10 quid off meals/drinks would seem a sensible solution.

I've always said this :) What happens though is that people don't make themselves known, maybe pop in for a lemonade, then scurry off to the van and shut all the blinds eating and drinking their own stuff.

I've found somewhere for us to go now, and it's NOT going on the POI's. Selfish? Maybe, but of the pubs I look at now with the bigger truck I'm already getting a 50/50 chance of even getting in...

I seem to remember reading someone on here some boasting how they maybe pop in for a half! I don' think it goes un-noticed. There always will be a few spoiling it for the many and that wont change. We would always have a meal and drinks as a thank you. And earplugs if we turned in early, though that is unlikely

Last edited:
To be honest the pub stops we occasionally use.... It would be cheaper to stop on a site (decent meal for the pair of us and drinks etc)....
Do I begrudge it.... NOT for a second

I love food and I love ale...
And I love being able to go in the pub have something to eat and drink usually after a nice walk with the hounds.

Funnily enough, the ONLY time I go to a pub is if I am overnighting in the car park.

And like mistericeman, I have no doubt it would be cheaper to have stayed at a site compared to the cost of a nice meal and a couple of pints.

But they are getting my custom which would otherwise not be the case for sure; and I am getting fed and watered and a place to park which otherwise would be empty tarmac.
Far as I see, it is a win-win.

Last edited:
'twas ever thus

I seem to remember reading someone on here some boasting how they maybe pop in for a half! I don' think it goes un-noticed. There always will be a few spoiling it for the many and that wont change. We would always have a meal and drinks as a thank you. And earplugs if we turned in early, though that is unlikely

It was the same a while back when MCN encouraged people to write in with their favourite riding routes - soon you couldn't get moved on what were once idyllic open roads. Best to keep schtum and only share with friends.

Pub Stops

I agree with the sentiment it is only "proper" to buy food etc.

Thus for 2 peeps £20 the very minimum probably £40+ which we would spend.

But we prefer our own food so no advantage for us unless a special occasion !

Whats the point of stopping in a pub car park and not using the pub? Isnt that the main reason for going to one? They are not exactly (Generally) great places to stay to relax or admire the view but handy if you want to go on the lash or for dinner without having to worry about driving or getting back to the van somehow. There are plenty of places to stop so if your not using the pub why go there?

I wish we could afford to eat out all the time but the simply reality is that we can`t so we don`t use Pub Stops.

Also tried it twice with " no obligation to buy or purchase " Brit-Stops scheme but found that was not the case so we left.
Surely if that isn't the case, Brit-Stops need to be notified. Sounds like any establishment not playing fair is just using the book as free advertising.

When I have stopped in pubs, the nearest I have got to a 'demand' to buy something was a pub near Southampton where the barmaid said it would be appreciated if I bought a drink if I stopped in their carpark overnight.
Personally, not had it long or used it much yet but I like the Brit Stops book :)

Surely if that isn't the case, Brit-Stops need to be notified. Sounds like any establishment not playing fair is just using the book as free advertising.

I did email them ( Steve, i think his name was ) and he said he was surprised as there was definitely " no obligation on the first night ", subsequent nights are by arrangement.

I must have dreamt the landlord constantly asking me what time we wanted to eat and the barmaid going over to the motorhome asking the wife the same question.

We got a second year free by way of an apology but didn`t use it again.

I`ve had abuse before for saying what i`ve said in the post above so here are some screenshots off their website as of now TODAY

Screenshot (46).jpg Screenshot (47).jpg Screenshot (48).jpg

If you advertise something as obligation free / free of charge then that`s how it should be.

I have bought a copy of the book this year in anticipation of getting my conversion finished & look forward to trying out some of the entries. Hopefully this one is the exception rather than the rule but will be putting a line through it anyway.....

I have bought a copy of the book this year in anticipation of getting my conversion finished & look forward to trying out some of the entries. Hopefully this one is the exception rather than the rule but will be putting a line through it anyway.....

That`s fine and i know people who love it to bits and absolutely swear by it, they buy it year after year but they would always eat and or drink in the pubs anyway.

I fully understand that when you use the Pub Stops on here you are expected to partake ( eat and or drink ) in the establishment for being allowed to stay.

Many members are happy to do that and it`s fine by me but i choose not to and that is the reason why i do not and never will use any of them.

The fact that i choose not to use the pub seems to make me a freeloading scrounger and they are more than will to point that out however ........

You never hear me calling all the members who use the pubs every night alcoholic pissheads so why do they call me for not wishing to use them.

The reality is Pubstops are the most precarious of business models

Unless the pubs have a camping exemption or a campsite they are in real risk of losing their licences,

Anglers Rest as I recall popular here got caught out with an Angry member and stopped allowing overnighting ...I also remember bar the typical "thats a shame comment...No one actively backed them up and were left to hang but customers dont care providing there is summat in it for them and even better if that magic word Free

I must admit if I took another pub I would need to be very careful as to what I allowed, A lot of landlords I suggest have never heard of the CDA so in alot of cases allowed in ignorance of what rules apply

Channa

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back