Propex Heater

Well,
🤔 hmmmm.
Maybe keep it,,,,For now.
The money I was thinking of spending on the PROPEX I could maybe channel to getting the Alde tip top & firing on Gas 🤷🏻‍♂️

The heat output is pretty poor so you will have it on full for longer than you think. Your wall mounted heater you have just now will create more heat in ten minutes than the propex would running all day.

I wouldn't say that Cal. I have one on the boat and in the van and although I don't have any figures, mine generates far more heat than the older type that Paul has just removed.

How old was yours?

Mine was new when the van was converted 9years ago. In comparison to a diesel heater ie erbe it really was pants

Mine was new when the van was converted 9years ago. In comparison to a diesel heater ie erbe it really was pants

I've never tried a Diesel but I know they are good but the first time I came across the Propex was in another members van. It was really toasty in there I was really impressed which is why I bought one.

My old Truma in my last van though (Like the Zombies throwaway) I found very mediocre.

My thinking was more a pro vs con kinda list.
Cost of Unit
Yearly Service or Maintenance cost of unit
External Noise Levels
Internal Noise Levels
12v Power consumption
Fuel consumption
& a cursory look at the LOADS of reports out there of problems that people seem to have with Diesel units, the net if PLAGUED with Eber, Webesto
& alike while PROPEX just rears it’s head a few time in comparison, So Just seems to tip the balance on most of the above (Bar Heat output) & has the added bonus that I can ALSO run it in 230v when on EHU, PLUS I have bouts of free surplus gas, PLUS it’s also a cooling fan during the Hot Summer periods that we get periodically 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Just a quick look for what people are saying about Noise comparison-
4DBF2585-AD46-4524-A87A-C816EEB808FC.png

RIGHT,,,RIGHT THEN,,,I ‘Think’ I’ve made a decision, (or have I 🤔).

My thinking at the moment is Rip out Old Traumatic Hab Heater, (I just Genuinely Don’t like it, This also Gets rid of Rattling While driving & a Hole in the Roof, Fed up with hitting my Heal or Toe On it as I get in/out of bed & gives me Cupboard Space). So That’s That.
I’m going to get a HS2000E fitted for all the reasons stated in my previous post, I’m also going to throw just a few quid at getting someone to Sort the Alde Compact Out so it works on Gas, Take Out (Or rather re-Position) the existing two fin rads & ALSO fit another in the Main Companion way on the wall.
I’m guessing for the whole lot above is going to be around £1000ish (With me doing my Bit amongst itcall) 🤔
Well as a Full Time Livaboard if that’s the price for ensuring better quality of life aboard then 🤷🏻‍♂️

Or,,,,maybe not

Last edited:
Hey Guys,
I would like some background on people that have had one.

What are they like ?.
How Much would be an Average Price for one to be Supplied & Fitted ?.
I fitted one myself which is very easy ,just a hole for the exhaust and link up the gas and electric line and it blows very well but the only thing that was annoying was overnight it cuts out if the battery gets low so i linked up anther one.

Maybe I'm biased because of the problem with heating in current van due to 12v that no-one seems able to sort out - but my first choice of heater, given enough space, would ne a "proper" caravan type Truma heater that circulates air by convection rather than a blasted 12v draining fan. Yes it uses a lot of gas but it works even when the battery is low.
From my experiences with other systems - second would be a Propex gas heater, as it uses less 12v, followed by an Eberspacher (or cheap version thereof).
Last would be what I have - a Truma blown air that eats gas and blows the 12v..

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back