Problem with Calor Gas bottle

V1nny

We are currently in Portugal and I thought I had plenty of gas to see me through until I get back to the UK around the end of August.

However, I went to change a gas bottle last night and no matter how many times I try, the connector will not screw in properly to the new bottle. I tried other bottles which all connect without problem which leads me to conclude there is a problem with the threads on the new full bottle.

I may still have enough gas to get me home, but if I don’t, has anyone any tips that might help to fix the problem threading the connection to the new bottle?

Thanks

Are both bottles the same gas (Propane / Butane). Different gas = different thread.

find a gas appliance shop in a small town or village and show the owner the problem .people are usually pretty helpful. or ask at the fire station , bombeiros love a bit of problem solving !

Butane (blue) (not campingaz) and Propane (orange) both have LH threads, but the Blue butane cylinder is LH Male threaded, the Orange Propane is LH Female, so it is not possible to fit the wrong cylinder to the opposite regulator.

From Google and my own experience. Look carefully at the threads and see if they have been knocked. If so a fine file might restore them.

B2

There is a place in the Algarve where they will fill any bottle. You need to make sure your bottle is empty first. Its a few years since I was there but believe its still filling bottles. It is between Quarteira and Albufeira. Can't rememver exactly where, but ask around as the site is well used by M/Hs to fill tanks.

There is a place in the Algarve where they will fill any bottle. You need to make sure your bottle is empty first. Its a few years since I was there but believe its still filling bottles. It is between Quarteira and Albufeira. Can't rememver exactly where, but ask around as the site is well used by M/Hs to fill tanks.

That’s handy to know. We will be down there soon. Thanks for the information

That’s handy to know. We will be down there soon. Thanks for the information

Similarly, at Vila Real de Santo Antonio, the Blue Dolphin Carwash on the N125 has at its rear, gas
refill facilities they'll give most gas bottles varieties a consideration. Been a few years since I've had
reason to call in, but could be worthwhile if passing by.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back