Power Steering Dropped Fluid

It's a Morris Marina 1.3 Estate automatic for me... so under-rated, simple, economic, reliable, plenty nippy enough and ..... British...
Morris, Marina, reliable. 3 words not usually found in the same sentence...
I took my test in a Teal Blue 1.8. The gear lever pulled out when I put it into reverse to leave the test centre ( I passed)

Worked on them ,total british cr-p along with most post war british cars.
Aww.. I had many variants or over 20 years always popping in a BMC diesel and autobox into estate cars both Marina and Ital, wind up the front torsion bars to get the ride height correct along with an extra leaf on the rear springs and off you go. I did 100,000 miles in one in 2 years and it was as good when I sold it as when I first got it. Oil & filters every 2000 miles and grease the trunnions every 2 weeks, never a rattle clonk or breakdown and 50 mpg all day long :) . OK it was no frills but after all I only wanted to get from A - B cheaply and reliably and that's what I always got!

When my Dad was “ rich” enough to buy new cars, he had a string of BL models. Started with a Morris 1100, then the 1300 version, a Maxi, 3 Marinas, 2 Princesses, An Ambassador ( nice carpets) a couple of Allegros, and finished with a Rover Vitesse

The best car he had was a loaned Austin Cambridge while one of his Marinas was in for repair.

Then he saw sense and started buying Citroën’s....

When my Dad was “ rich” enough to buy new cars, he had a string of BL models. Started with a Morris 1100, then the 1300 version, a Maxi, 3 Marinas, 2 Princesses, An Ambassador ( nice carpets) a couple of Allegros, and finished with a Rover Vitesse

The best car he had was a loaned Austin Cambridge while one of his Marinas was in for repair.

Then he saw sense and started buying Citroën’s....
Firstly I say... what a connoisseur your father was... then secondly, reading on... Mon Dieu... :)

Aww.. I had many variants or over 20 years always popping in a BMC diesel and autobox into estate cars both Marina and Ital, wind up the front torsion bars to get the ride height correct along with an extra leaf on the rear springs and off you go. I did 100,000 miles in one in 2 years and it was as good when I sold it as when I first got it. Oil & filters every 2000 miles and grease the trunnions every 2 weeks, never a rattle clonk or breakdown and 50 mpg all day long :) . OK it was no frills but after all I only wanted to get from A - B cheaply and reliably and that's what I always got!
Leaf springs went out with nelsons eye,oil and filters should do 5000,the hillman imp was the only almost right car made here,full ond suspension ,engine in bum and handling to match,pity about the rest of it.

A friend of mine had an experimental Hillman Imp with a “ robotised” gearbox. The clutch was operated by some clever gubbins in the gearstick. When you started to move the gearstick, the clutch operated, change gear and let go of the stick and the clutch engaged again.
Not sure it ever went into production though, but it was quite radical for the time ( mid ‘70’s.).
He also had a Bond Bug!

Makes you wonder why they didn’t keep making them and turning them into motorhomes

Cough.....

94171780b97cd17eaaf62c509b023294.jpg

Got to agree that you shouldn't run power steering pump without fluid.
Van may be driveable but I'd be inclined to get breakdown to it - they may prefer to fit a new pipe (if that's the problem) 'onsite' rather than get a transporter in?

Have you had a look to see where the oil is coming from? We had a car that one of the pipes burst, on closer inspection it was a pipe heading to the oil cooler for the steering fluid . I disconnected the burst pipe and used the return pipe from the cooler to connect back to the pump bypassing the oil cooler which in my opinion was not needed in this country.

Have you had a look to see where the oil is coming from? We had a car that one of the pipes burst, on closer inspection it was a pipe heading to the oil cooler for the steering fluid . I disconnected the burst pipe and used the return pipe from the cooler to connect back to the pump bypassing the oil cooler which in my opinion was not needed in this country.
True and if sumps were made of alloy with fins it would do cooling just fine.

Decided to give a local mobile mechanic a shout tomorrow. I'll get the battery back on this week and hopefully it should last until I can get the MOT done. At least until the end of the month on SORN I reckon.

Cheers

H

Decided to give a local mobile mechanic a shout tomorrow. I'll get the battery back on this week and hopefully it should last until I can get the MOT done. At least until the end of the month on SORN I reckon.
Don't you qualify for the 6 months MOT extension everyone has been given if your mot ran out after march this year

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back