Power Steering Dropped Fluid

winks

Couple of months ago I discovered that our van had lost all its power steering fluid.

When we are ready to roll again will it be ok to drive the van the four miles or so to my usual workshop or is it a low loader job? Got a tow start today (another story) and it drives well enough just a couple of hundred metres out of the yard and back. I had an episode with the old Hymer when it lost the fluid from a broken pipe on the rack and that was ok doing couple of miles to the workshop.This is on a 2005 2.8JTD Ducato.

Cheers

H

I'd just top it up to drive it anywhere. If you've not noticed the leak and it's just leaked away slowly over time there is a seal conditioning steering fluid you can use that can help if you fill it up and its not a serious leak keep a eye on it's level topping up occasionally

Sorry, should've made it clearer.

The fluid absolutely pi$$ed out when I started the van a couple of months ago, I mean it emptied the reservoir in a few minutes ticking over. Today the reservoir is totally dry but apart from no assistance with the steering there were no weird sounds or anything. I expect that if i were to refill it the fluid would be gone in no time but as I said we had the same thing happen on our old Hymer but I drove that to the workshop with no ill effects.

Cheers

H

I would top it up and if the steering is not too heavy drive it to the garage.
But for example on my Citroen Xantia the steering was impossible without the engine running.

I wouldn't risk driving it, you could cause more problems at huge expense. Can you not get it towed?

Yes I can arrange something when we get the green light. Our ADAC is there until next April so I'll give them a shout. Only used them once in seven years for a blowout last November so it'll be good to get a bit more out of it. Just taken the battery off it until we get moving again. That'll be another job to set up a charging feed off the solar. I wasn't intending it to stand for so long and couldn't go over to run it for ages of course.

Cheers

H

Reactions: Sky
And why would any one drive there pride and joy on the road with defective steering.

I've driven both my work wagon and our old Hymer with duff power steering with no problem but the pump alone could be up to £280 on a quick look see, so I wont risk it.

You're right the steering is 'defective' but gets you a good upper body workout ...

Cheers

H

As the leak is bad surely you'd qualify for an AA RAC Green Flag pibby back t'garage... Failing that by all means drive it but not before blowing the front tyres up say 15psi over their usual pressure and only if the power steering belt has it own drive belt as you need to cut it otherwise there's a fair risk you could seize the pump.. Such a bad leak suggests a burst pipe, something a decent mobile mechanic could fix for you at home saving any driving or breakdown firm callout... if you do as above put a note on your dashboard to re-adjust your tyre pressures when fixed!

The problem with running the engine without any power steering fluid is that you are running the power steering pump without any lubricant so even just having the engine running is likely to cause damage to the pump, which will then start to make a simple straight forward repair into an expensive repair.
If it is only a burst pipe I would have thought it would be an easy repair to do at home.
If you don’t have the skills then the break down service should be able to change it for you, as it will be cheaper for them to do this rather than pay for a recovery vehicle

The problem with running the engine without any power steering fluid is that you are running the power steering pump without any lubricant so even just having the engine running is likely to cause damage to the pump, which will then start to make a simple straight forward repair into an expensive repair.
If it is only a burst pipe I would have thought it would be an easy repair to do at home.
If you don’t have the skills then the break down service should be able to change it for you, as it will be cheaper for them to do this rather than pay for a recovery vehicle

Got two options now so I’m looking around for a mobile mechanic and I have the engine battery at home and on charge.

Watch this space ...

Cheers

H

If the engine in cars and vans was in the correct place power steering would not be required,never had it before i got my van and newish car,dont like it one bit.
You wouldn't like my power steering on the car as it's fully electric, total bugger if the engine won't start as you can't turn the steering and have to jack it up to turn the wheels.

Power steering,air con,brains,electric windows,all total nonsense as more weight and things to go wrong,willy jeep was just about spot on.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back