power monitoring

rugbyken

not battery in this case but i have recently bought a new big battery & before i go ahead & kill it i bought a plug in monitor, i have also bought a mini oven & removed the useless thing fitted above my fridge tower & fitted a microwave in its place , the mini oven has an air fryer as one of its functions it has two lower elements and three upper ones also a convection fan above & you can select a combination of these for various cooking methods , the air fryer uses the 3 upper elements & the fan i’ve experimented over the last week and find it difficult the oven is rated 12000W but the air fryer only uses 930W , one other setting is toast that utilises two upper elements both lower ones and the fan this combination takes 1230W but since the unit is only a guarter of the size of a normal oven works really really well ie 5 mins microwave 20 mins oven perfect jacket potato and i can see this being my go to cooking unit
image.jpg
image.jpg

I don't think you should post photos of things like that .... It makes me go and look at them to buy!! (the Gas oven on my Motorhome cooker is very slow :( )
Very handy size indeed (y)

I don't know if anyone makes one, but what would be really good is a combo Microwave/Air Fryer :)

I have a small but good tabletop camping gas stove, works well but always keep a window or the door open for fumes to get out.
Works on camping gas tins.
gas cooker van.jpg

Be careful if you have mounted a microwave “above” as they can be very weighty and large potholes in the road can cause them to bounce and weaken a shelf - ask me how I know :mad:

Be careful if you have mounted a microwave “above” as they can be very weighty and large potholes in the road can cause them to bounce and weaken a shelf - ask me how I know :mad:
Mine was bolted down, was a right pain when I came to pull it out, shelf was 3/4 ply it was attached to so whoever fitted it may have had a similar experience to you 👍

These posts about "weighty" microwaves make me wonder if I should enter 'Britains Strongest Man'? mine is on a shelf above the fairly tall fridge which is itself above the wheel arch, so it pretty high up. I don't recall the slightest issue lifting it up to put it there, and it it were the same weight as a Lead Acid battery (like Neils was) or even just heavy, I think I would have remembered or at least noticed?

These posts about "weighty" microwaves make me wonder if I should enter 'Britains Strongest Man'? mine is on a shelf above the fairly tall fridge which is itself above the wheel arch, so it pretty high up. I don't recall the slightest issue lifting it up to put it there, and it it were the same weight as a Lead Acid battery (like Neils was) or even just heavy, I think I would have remembered or at least noticed?
Well I still have it in the garage. If I remember, next time I am going far North I will bring it up to you. Really surprised me when it came out

I know this is gone off topic about weight, but are there any weight limits published about use of lockers and the like? It IS something I have wondered about when putting stuff in my top lockers. tended to keep cans of food up there and get a few cans and the weight can really mount up, and when supported purely by being screwed onto a side wall .... :oops:

(I no longer put that much heavier stuff in the lockers now, but do still have one fairly full of books :( )

I know this is gone off topic about weight, but are there any weight limits published about use of lockers and the like? It IS something I have wondered about when putting stuff in my top lockers. tended to keep cans of food up there and get a few cans and the weight can really mount up, and when supported purely by being screwed onto a side wall .... :oops:

(I no longer put that much heavier stuff in the lockers now, but do still have one fairly full of books :( )
I think if there is it would be in construction and use regs David. Never heard of anything on campers. If you have too much weight high up though you ten£ to notice it on the handling/ stability

C&U regs don’t cover specifics other than g.v.w and axle weights but just with any vehicle the higher the load the less stable the vehicle becomes.

I simply make a point of keeping anything heavy as low down as possible and keeping top lockers as empty as possible.

David there was one microwave/grill/airfryer but £250 ish this one was only !£69 , the 800W microwave is lighter than the oven it replaced and i have utilised the big metal strap that went over the top of the oven it is firm enough that i couldn’t pull it forward , very pleased with the little oven light and quite cool around just got to devise a way of securing it on the worktop

It looks spot on and at the right price (y)
I have a 800W Microwave above the Fridge (so similar to yours?) and an airfryer I keep in a cupboard, but an all-in-one ready to use would be good, but clearly at a price!

Watch Mel on YouTube big van small world ,he's got in a multi van shed of van biulders . The new van builder got a combination unit one. he paid about £300 with bells and whistles. Got mine ( airfryer ) from tefaul . Got it discounted in the shop buy signing in by email. But it don't do toaster or microwave. That was over £100 this year.

But there out now i should have waited till Christmas myself as the wife uses it in the house kitchen. But I like the look of the one Mel showed.

I can only buy what I see.

The power thing Ken is good but victron tells me but for all plugs sockets. All 240v electrical units have to display power usage now 2023.in Watts or larger

Realestate in van is limited
20231030_124524.jpg

Last edited:
ive had three of those power monitors they are very useful but short lived, the first two vent bang, and my current one now takes about an hour to stabilise and show the correct mains voltage it starts off at around 320v AC which throws the other readings out!

my latest van project came with a 10kw Cummins Oman diesel generator and has a Dometic roof top AC plus various mains water heaters and a microwave built in

Well I still have it in the garage. If I remember, next time I am going far North I will bring it up to you. Really surprised me when it came out
All of that weight will be in the power transformer and most of that will be copper windings. Scrap copper is currently around £5/ kilo.
David is miles away in Scotland so I suggest you bring it to me instead Neil.👍

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back