Posting new POIs

• Thread starter Deleted member 13543
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not as far as I can see - I added it to the POI database some time ago ...

No mate not that I'm aware of - I just posted the photo out of interest.

Allerthorpe wood

Did you stay there? I've yet to try this one overnight

To streetview or not to streetview...

Hi Chris,

I spend far too much time browsing Google Streetview looking for wild camping places, and have found quite a few likely looking ones that are not listed. How do I post the information you need for them? Will the link button on Google Maps do it?

Mary

Whilst useful as an option, I would prefer a little local knowledge about my overnight stops. Streetview is great but it doesn't show how unpopular overnight parking might be to locals.

As long as the posting is clearly logged as a streetview offer and not a tried and tested overnight halt I have no issue though as I do use streetview quite a lot and it is an amazing tool for us although it can be misleading. Having said that, I'm sure all streetview post will be tried and tested pretty quickly.

Love it :)

Mike.

Please forgive me for going slightly off topic but: :confused: :confused:

I have Google Earth installed on my computer and use it often. Some of you have said that Google Maps is quicker and easier to use but not on my computer it is not.

I am going into GE first and then clicking on GMaps. My question is, can you download Google Maps as a different programme entirely. If not, how come it is slower than google Earth?

Google maps is all online, you don't need to (and can't) download anything. It depends on your connection speed but they can both be slow at times, I agree. They use some of the same data I think.

I prefer Google Maps because you don't need to install anything which can be important at work or an internet cafe. For a home machine that's probably not a consideration. Google maps can be used with the KML POI file like Google Earth but you need to host the file on the net (Eg Free mp3 hosting, upload mp3 | upload file direct link - Kiwi6.com Mp3 Upload) and paste the direct link to your KML file in the search bar of the maps screen. (I know I have said this before, but a couple of people have asked me how to do it, so I'm just saying again for those who don't know how).

The Hunters Lodge Crewe

I stayed overnight in 'The Hunters Lodge' car park with permission of the manager Evonne. It's primarily a function hotel for weddings at the
weekends and has a huge car park. The food is good but a little on the expensive side although the surroundings are pleasant and the hotel
is set back a good 100 yards from the road, so it's quiet in the huge car park on site.

53.1007, -2.4175 - Google Maps

IMG_1020.JPG IMG_1012.JPG IMG_1019.JPG IMG_1013.JPG

I have an update on site:

LR Clumber (A614) (Nottinghamshire)

53.28929, -1.03269 - Google Maps

Visited there last night and it is obviously a well known gay hookup location. After 2 hours we couldnt stand it any longer (people walking round MH trying to see inside, like a scene from a horror film). You would not get any sleep here even if these creepy people didn't bother you, people talking and cars coming in and out every 15 minutes.

I had to explain to my 14 year old son why men were driving here late at night to sit in their cars and look at others or go off together into the woods. Embarassing and awkward especially as I dont understand why they need to do it but he knows now that there are places and people to avoid on your own.

Left location 10.30pm in pitch blackness and found a little gem.......

CR on B6034 Ollerton Road (Nottinghamshire) - large quiet roadside carpark, didnt hear a thing all night. There's a house just over the road so not a good gay location and its a parking area for Welbeck estate walk/cycle ways
53.238277, -1.083878‎
+53° 14' 17.80", -1° 5' 1.96"
Hope you can reassure me I'm much mistaken in wondering (especially after reading the last sentence) whether there is a touch of homophobia here........

I've been in car parks used as park up for dogging before & probably gay/lez too, there's no difference between any of them it's all simply sex of various shades. I've just closed the blackout curtains and have never been bothered. It's just the same as sleeping in motorway services - cars coming and going - if you can put up with that it's fine.

The activity all goes on in the woods or in their cars. If they ever did knock, which I doubt would happen, just ignore it. Like I said if you can put up with the noise of cars coming and going it's cool, if not, find another location :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back