Possible to tag on solar panel?

wesaaron

Free Member
Here's a question for you technical folks, our motorhome has a 100w solar panel (factory fitted) obviously through a controller and to the batteries (2 x 105a), the question is to get extra charging to the batteries can I connect up a fold up solar panel (100w) which we have from caravan days direct on to the batteries via the crocodile clips.

The panel has its own built in controller.

Will the 2 panels ''fight'' each other or will they be OK?

I have a 100 watt solar panel on the roof which is usually adequate but I also carry a spare freestanding panel in the garage. I broke into the wiring from the panel to the regulator and fitted a junction box with a 12 volt socket fitted into it. The freestanding panel has a longish lead with a 12 volt plug. I just plug it in if I need it (which is rarely). The junction box is in a locker and I can fit the lead and still close the locker door (for security).

If you do something similar, cover the roof panel while you do the mod.

I know my solar controller is 'smart', with phases of bulk, absorption and float. I wonder if a second controller could mess up this process?

Here follows my usual disclaimer... I know nothing, except that thinking aloud can be dangerous :eek:

I would consider separating the 2 battery's to charge separately . watching this post for further information .

this is a route i’m thinking off my panel is ample for over a week & with 2x125 batteries but over the last 12 days i have only driven for 1.5hrs and overnight my battery is going down to 11.5, at last years peterborough show i was looking at one of the briefcase type panels and was told that if i fitted jackplugs directly from the battery i could plug in directly the electroblock in the van would be bypassed causing no problems, as with jenny i know nothing factual about electrics & solar but for £150 at the time looked worthwhile

Last edited:
I have a 100 watt solar panel on the roof which is usually adequate but I also carry a spare freestanding panel in the garage. I broke into the wiring from the panel to the regulator and fitted a junction box with a 12 volt socket fitted into it. The freestanding panel has a longish lead with a 12 volt plug. I just plug it in if I need it (which is rarely). The junction box is in a locker and I can fit the lead and still close the locker door (for security).

If you do something similar, cover the roof panel while you do the mod.
. That's the way to do it :idea::idea:

There are reports of two MPPT regulators feeding the same battery not playing properly with each other, but that seemed to be because they were a bit too sophisticated.
In the case proposed, this is very unlikely, and in fact it is VERY likely that the portable panels will not contribute their fair share because of excessive voltage drop between the regulator and batteries.
This can be countered by removing the regulator from the back of the panel and mounting it closer to the batteries

No need to separate any batteries.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back