Positive news on the BBC

John H

Just been listening to "You and Yours" on Radio 4 and they had a very positive item about motorhomes and wildcamping. They interviewed the founder of "Britstops" and spoke to a number of campers in various locations as well as visiting a motorhome show. Not one word against wildcamping and a lot of positive stuff about aires (Northern Ireland and Hawick were mentioned) and the value to pubs, local communities etc of allowing us to stop. Well done the BBC! :)

Yes, I listened to it. Kept waiting for the backlash! Britstops seems to be growing, for those who want it. Nice piece of advertising for them. I'm with the V dubbers in the field!

Some publicity is good, but reading Dover Sexpress last week I see that a motorhome got booked for staying in Ladywell carpark buying a ticket but taking more than one space in the empty park. The vehement if not spiteful readers replies were a picture of the attitude in the Town towards visitors.
Clamp the ******* etc, I could not get in to park my car to go to the pub etc. There are notices saying no lorries, caravans or trailers but NOT anything about MH. I still need to get somewhere in the town to get a proper park but the attitude is not good towards us. Might be jealousy or might be anti travellers, but definitely anti.

Some publicity is good, but reading Dover Sexpress last week I see that a motorhome got booked for staying in Ladywell carpark buying a ticket but taking more than one space in the empty park. The vehement if not spiteful readers replies were a picture of the attitude in the Town towards visitors.
Clamp the ******* etc, I could not get in to park my car to go to the pub etc. There are notices saying no lorries, caravans or trailers but NOT anything about MH. I still need to get somewhere in the town to get a proper park but the attitude is not good towards us. Might be jealousy or might be anti travellers, but definitely anti.

And it is because of such attitudes that the BBC report was so encouraging. It is the first time I can remember that wildcamping has been talked about without a single negative comment. In the UK, it is going to be a long, hard road but we need to encourage every single positive comment.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back