Portable / Folding solar panel recommendations.

If you:
1) have room for a 220W panel on the roof.
and
2) want a 'setup and forget' setup.
Why don't you just get a fixed panel on the roof and save the faffing around at the start and the end putting the panel up and taking it down?

As far as panels go, it generally makes very little different how much you spend which you get in terms of performance. The more expensive semi-flexible portable kits are nicer as they are more compact and lighter, but once deployed, they all do the same job with near-identical efficiency.
Spot on David. The dealer wanted to fit Truma panels at ridiculous prices. In February my two 120w eco worthy panels bought on Amazon produced 140w in Scotland. I doubt very much if the Truma panels at three times the price would beat that. As you know I will be fitting a further two 45w Victron panels we got for £80, the only limiting factor will be my 20a Victron solar controller, not how much I paid for the panels.

I've just purchased 3 of these off eBay.
They are Sunpower units, pleasantly surprised by their quality TBF.
The seller accepted just £30 each including postage. So I've got 240W for £90.

Plumped for 3 separate small units instead of 1 Biggie as I can 'Jenga' them around so they fit the roof better and not as vulnerable to partial shading
.Going on today IF the rain stops 😡

I've just purchased 3 of these off eBay.
They are Sunpower units, pleasantly surprised by their quality TBF.
The seller accepted just £30 each including postage. So I've got 240W for £90.
The Glass rigid panels tend to be much of muchness (but I have found Victron tend to understate their panel ratings so you may get MORE than quoted - I've had over 270W from the original 270W array.
I know you have just bought glass panels but Sunpower is a good brand and their flexible panels are pretty decent for the money, especially compared to the typical eBay "Pancake" fexi panel (call them "Pancake panels" as they fail, and people end up stacking another on top. that fails, and another one on top .....)

Plumped for 3 separate small units instead of 1 Biggie as I can 'Jenga' them around so they fit the roof better and not as vulnerable to partial shading
.Going on today IF the rain stops 😡
Separate panels do have some definate advantages - not least being the physical handling of them as well as giving some redundancy - stone smashes a 240W panel and lost all your solar. stones smashes one of your 80W panels and you still have 160W left.

Plus of course, as you say, you can play Jenga or Tetris with them :)
This is my Motorhome roof now.

Solar Completed by David, on Flickr
Total of 9 panels on to give 450W, all in Parallel so any shaded will not impact any other. That big Dome Autotrail like to use precludes any ideas of having a panel on the overhead hump which would be possible on other Motorhomes with an overcab overhang.

One reason I had to go for some many small panels is the difficulty in sourcing long thin panels. No one seemed to make them - until now!
A few weeks ago I got a sample of a brand new solar panel, and in the range there are "ultra-narrow" options, which look really good :)
This is a 100W panel that is just 350mm wide! could be perfect for those in-fill areas between roof vents and van sides :)

IMG_20240314_130100_971 by David, on Flickr
Top quality ETFE coated panel so not cheap, but sometimes needs must.

The Glass rigid panels tend to be much of muchness (but I have found Victron tend to understate their panel ratings so you may get MORE than quoted - I've had over 270W from the original 270W array.
I know you have just bought glass panels but Sunpower is a good brand and their flexible panels are pretty decent for the money, especially compared to the typical eBay "Pancake" fexi panel (call them "Pancake panels" as they fail, and people end up stacking another on top. that fails, and another one on top .....)

Separate panels do have some definate advantages - not least being the physical handling of them as well as giving some redundancy - stone smashes a 240W panel and lost all your solar. stones smashes one of your 80W panels and you still have 160W left.

Plus of course, as you say, you can play Jenga or Tetris with them :)
This is my Motorhome roof now.

Solar Completed by David, on Flickr
Total of 9 panels on to give 450W, all in Parallel so any shaded will not impact any other. That big Dome Autotrail like to use precludes any ideas of having a panel on the overhead hump which would be possible on other Motorhomes with an overcab overhang.

One reason I had to go for some many small panels is the difficulty in sourcing long thin panels. No one seemed to make them - until now!
A few weeks ago I got a sample of a brand new solar panel, and in the range there are "ultra-narrow" options, which look really good :)
This is a 100W panel that is just 350mm wide! could be perfect for those in-fill areas between roof vents and van sides :)

IMG_20240314_130100_971 by David, on Flickr
Top quality ETFE coated panel so not cheap, but sometimes needs must.
Oooh nice narrow panel! What's the length?
Yep, I've got to strip off old flexible panels that have failed, thought about leaving on but my conscience wouldn't let me! I'll be testing the efficacy of the adhesive shortly 😏. The flexibles failed around 2 1/2 years ago, I've been waiting since then for the Maxeon air semi flexible to 'emerge' because they keep pushing the release date forward time after time and it's STILL not available. Looked extremely positive too but hey ho. Like you say, needs have must 😁

Yep, I've got to strip off old flexible panels that have failed, thought about leaving on but my conscience wouldn't let me! I'll be testing the efficacy of the adhesive shortly 😏. The flexibles failed around 2 1/2 years ago, I've been waiting since then for the Maxeon air semi flexible to 'emerge' because they keep pushing the release date forward time after time and it's STILL not available. Looked extremely positive too but hey ho. Like you say, needs have must 😁
That one is 1520mm long. There are a few narrow ones, including a 50W one that is 1540 by just 200mm wide! I am very impressed with the construction of these - the cells are encased above and below so should prove very resiliant.
I fitted a pair of Lensun Semi-Flexible EFTE Panels to a VW Camper back in 2019 and they are still going strong coming up for 5 years later

VW Camper by David, on Flickr
I am not a fan of the typical Flexible panels - they always seem to fail after a year or two, but these ETFE-backed Panels are a very different kettle of fish.

I bought a excel 200 w lightweight waterproof Folding solar for my ecoflow from , hampshire generators , at the time it was about half the price of ecoflow, but unfortunately the price has gone up from my perchases , it has 2 x 100 panels and is much easier to deploy than the ecoflow , I am very happy with the performance and I think it was a good choice , check out their website for details and specification,

Last edited:

Hey Merl, this is what you need for those little gaps ....

200W Panel, size is 280mm x 280mm (so less than a foot square) - comes with a 50A Solar Controller as well. Under £20 with the discount code :)

can't deny I am a touch skeptic about what you would actually get :D I would say the power is overstated by a factor of around 20?

I bought a excel 200 w lightweight waterproof Folding solar for my ecoflow from , hampshire generators , at the time it was about half the price of ecoflow, but unfortunately the price has gone up from my perchases , it has 2 x 100 panels and is much easier to deploy than the ecoflow , I am very happy with the performance and I think it was a good choice , check out their website for details and spespecification
Would agree the 220w Ecoflow is a bit of a faff to deploy on the ground using its cover to angle the panel. It does have a tempered glass construction so IP68 waterproof. And the 4 panel design folds up into a smaller package which was the perfect size to fit into our dining table locker. It is heavier than the Excel so less prone to being affected by winds. It is also bifacial so reflected light hitting the back of the panel can supplement the sun facing side. Never managed to get above 220w though. It maxed out so far at 190w on the ground but it dropped to 180w as it warmed up.

The Excel panel does look OK but for me the ability to store the Ecoflow in the dining table locker and the IP68 rating made it a no brainer and worth paying the extra. The Excel panel was too wide when folded to fit in the locker. Don't overlook panel storage. Think about where it can go when folded. For us the dining table is a permanent fixture which rarely gets put in its storage locker so it seemed a shame not to utilise that storage area for other purposes.

Last edited:
The Excel panel does look OK but for me the ability to store the Ecoflow in the dining table locker and the IP68 rating made it a no brainer and worth paying the extra. The Excel panel was too wide when folded to fit in the locker. Don't overlook panel storage. Think about where it can go when folded. For us the dining table is a permanent fixture which rarely gets put in its storage locker so it seemed a shame not to utilise that storage area for other purposes.
As someone who had 2 large Tag axle vans, I was dismayed at the waste of space in the motorhome garages. That is why I made a lightweight storage frame to fit in them. I made it to suit storage of plastic boxes and a section to slide in a freestanding panel. A much better way to transport all that stuff that you never really needed (apart from the solar panel). :ROFLMAO:

I bought Flexi panels from Ecoworthy last month as the weight saving was good. Also they could be easily "hing" and tilted towards the sun for maximum output. This means maximum efficiency available no matter what direction the m/h was facing when parking up. The only real drawback that I did not think about is SECURITY! Anyone could simply unplug and steal them while we were out for the day/night. Now I'm trying to fabricate an "erect and disassemble" light weight frame to get them partially on the roof out of reach of a thief! Now wishing I had bought fixed panels.

200W Panel, size is 280mm x 280mm (so less than a foot square) - comes with a 50A Solar Controller as well. Under £20 with the discount code :)

can't deny I am a touch skeptic about what you would actually get :D I would say the power is overstated by a factor of around 20?

Oh dear, what a joke. Cant see it making 1/20th to be fair considering the border and it's a flexi :mad: gotta love those chinese Watts eh?
Just received a roll of render mesh for a job at home. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/166463760505
Supposed to be 50 square meters, it's actually just 6.
Must be something to do with inflation.....

Oh dear, what a joke. Cant see it making 1/20th to be fair considering the border and it's a flexi :mad: gotta love those chinese Watts eh?
Just received a roll of render mesh for a job at home. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/166463760505
Supposed to be 50 square meters, it's actually just 6.
Must be something to do with inflation.....
Ooohhhh, I like that ....
I will start selling 1000cW (chinaWatts) Solar kits and B2Bs outputting 400cA (chinaAmps) for £20.

Thimk you must have mixed up centimeters with chinameters ;)

Bit like the old eBay listings offering things like "40 Cigarette Lighters for £5". Bargain until you receive a box of matches :D

depends how long ago this post about portable panels was , but I posted must be a couple of years ago at least about a portable panel kit.
It would have been either this kit or an identical one -
https://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/1...lorer-solar-panel-kit-with-charge-controller/ for £110
And there is also this 150W one for £130 - https://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/1...lorer-solar-panel-kit-with-charge-controller/

Those are both great value, especially at the sale price AND the member discount on top. I've got the 100W kit and I have seen 100W from it on sunny days around noon in Scotland. You could possibly make your own for cheaper, but you wouldn't have the very nice case to keep it protected and it is not worth the hassle at that price.
Mornings.
I have two leisure batteries and a 75 watt panel on roof.can I just connect this 150 watt from alpha, straight on to one of my batteries with out it causing any bother to my original system.tha ks.

Mornings.
I have two leisure batteries and a 75 watt panel on roof.can I just connect this 150 watt from alpha, straight on to one of my batteries with out it causing any bother to my original system.tha ks.
It has a controller as part of the kit, so yes, no problem. It comes with Croc Clips on the ends so it just clamps onto the terminals.
I don't think it will make any significant difference to the existing solar setup.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back