Portable emergency jump starter

Helzie

Hi

Can anyone recommend a portable jump starter for using in an emergency when the engine battery won't start the van? Preferably one that is a compact size!

Thanks.

Helen

Make sure you do some research on the suitability of a jump start to your Motorhome and possible ramifications. I believe some car models advise charging the battery rather than jumping, especially from a donor vehicle.

Davy

We have Aldi's version of this one

It certainly has enough umph to start our ancient Ducato based van into action, never tried the compressor side though. It also fits easily just half under the heater in the cab and goes with us everywhere and when it has been used I top up the charge via our inverter whilst travelling. I hope that this is of use.

Link your batteries up with a relay and switch, use heavy battery cable.
200ah relay.png

Can anyone recommend a portable jump starter for using in an emergency when the engine battery won't start the van? Preferably one that is a compact size!
Helen
I carry one of these to transfer power from leisure to engine battery in an emergency (Read the instructions)

Had one of these for 3 years, started numerous petrol cars and a couple of diesel motorhomes when out and about on my travels. I also use it to charge my iPad, iPhone, ecigs etc then charge it back up when on the move.
Not cheap but has been 100% reliable. Comes in a zipped heavy duty case with numerous cables etc to charge most phones and tablets.

All those work if batterie is down a we bit, but if almost no dash lights then you have no mission, i had to go start a jeep and they had one of those small battery jumpers, 5 mins on jump leads with my engine running and all batteries linked had them away.

Had one of these for 3 years, started numerous petrol cars and a couple of diesel motorhomes when out and about on my travels. I also use it to charge my iPad, iPhone, ecigs etc then charge it back up when on the move.
Not cheap but has been 100% reliable. Comes in a zipped heavy duty case with numerous cables etc to charge most phones and tablets.
I carry one of those in the car because I was having problems with the battery going flat because I was not using it, it will start the Panda when it is completely flat, (no lights on the dash) but I doubt it would start the van in the same situation, worth carrying though

I carry one of these to transfer power from leisure to engine battery in an emergency (Read the instructions)
In many ways this is the best solution. Or @trevskoda idea (Essentially the same !)
Very unlikely that both EB and LB (Often x2) would both be drained.
An external unit needs to be kept charged...I used to have a maplin one
Although it seems they will charge off of 12V I suggest that this is not enough if the EB is really low.
To charge then fully EHU or an inverter necessary...They also take up space and iMO jut add to the other clutter.
Many of us have breakdown insurance..even the lightweight breakdown vans will have a good unit to ensure starting.
I do however understand and agree with the concept of having your own solution !

Thanks everyone who took the time to reply with a couple of different solutions.

We've decided to get the NOCO GB50 1500 Amp UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter from Halfords as we want something simple, safe and compact. I wanted something where I didn't have to worry about connecting up the wrong things being a numpty when it comes to electrics. And we need something that can be used if we are in the middle of nowhere with no other vehicles about.

Let's hope we never need to use it!

I have a lithium Jump Starter pack and find it works really well.
Initially used it on my LT with a knackered battery (and it was REALLY knackered, but I wanted to wait until spring to replace). Got a Video below of how it starts the 2.8L diesel engine with this battery

You could use the various battery to battery trickle leads to transfer some energy to a flat battery, but if you get in, find you have a flat battery, you may not want to wait the time that would take and a jump pack is a lot quicker.
Also handy compared to a Starter-Leisure connection as youy can use it on multiple vehicles (used mine on the car when it had a flat battery for some unknown reason, and also to start someones van in Durrige Bay at a Wild Camping meet a few years ago).

I used to have a couple of the Ring Power Packs like in mfw's post but found they were a ) heavy and awkward compared to the Lithium packs and b ) If you didn't keep it charged regularly it would die prematurely and be useless and if you left it plugged in to charge it would damage the battery due to the very basic charger built into it.
Old fashioned dated technology, long superceeded by the newer options.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back