Phil & Nida on the move !

To Martley near Worcester for 2 nights.
Very nice C&CC site @ £14 a night.
2 inspections for damp repair both about £1000 which is ok.
2nd company may well be able to replace the damaged front rooflight as well and did a better inspection.
They will also collect moho from our winter storage !
Final inspection on Thursday.
Is the plan to get the damp repair done once you have gone back to Thailand?

Is the plan to get the damp repair done once you have gone back to Thailand?
Yes Maybe with some protection in place meanwhile.
The 2 surveys today were ok.
See my pm we can discus more in due course if it works out.
What are your thoughts re the damp ?

Yes Maybe with some protection in place meanwhile.
The 2 surveys today were ok.
See my pm we can discus more in due course if it works out.
What are your thoughts re the damp ?
hi Phil, ref the damp I was just curious if it was something that was ok to leave for a while or if it would get worse if left?
I am sure the guys looking at it and quoting would know how urgent a job it would be so if they think ok to do in a few months it must be ok (I'm guessing the cause/source of the damp is fixed so it is just remedial work to make all good again?)

As you know nearly all motorhome mechanics etc are fully fpr now.
I was pleasantly surprised by thec2 quotes so far.
We will need to replace some inside wall ! One suggested 1 metre pf ceiling but mayne not as it seems sound to me and the 2nd quote.
I was very impressed with a long telephone call with quoter no 3 who we visit tommorrow...
1 appeared to be really conscientious
2 had extra kit for analysing
3 offered a good stopgap to prevent further damage
Both he and no 2 also had no issues with collecting and returning vehicle from and to Newent.

The water comes in at the front driverside. Both on the side and front.
So the front corner needs the work.
Probably a metre of internal side wall including window frame.
Then a proper waterproofing job pn all the roof/wall/cabroof seams.
The cab rooflight also has problems...
As the phrase goes "Do it RIGHT Do it ONCE". I am quite prepared for £1000 to £2000 ! But how long is a piece of string ?

If you go to some parts of North Wales, they will suddenly only be able to talk Welsh as soon as they hear your English Accent and somehow won't understand a word you say.
Friendly lot!

I've experienced that as far south as Merthyr Tydfil but had the warmest of welcomes in most of Wales.

The pub in Merthyr fell silent as soon as I opened my mouth to order a drink.

If that happens again in a shop, I will say something like "oh, such a shame I can't ask about [expensive thing in shop]. I would love to get that but need to check [something]" and see how many milliseconds until they miraculously speak English again :D

I have Welsh heritage, and my son's wife is a Welsh farmer's daughter where Welsh was her first language.

They sat in a North Wales pub chatting in English, whilst the other residents belittled them behind their back in Welsh.

When the two of them got up to leave, she let them all have it in fluent Welsh. My son tells me you could have heard a pin drop.

Good for her!

Can any Welsh members explain the anti English attitude in the North, Nation banter is ok, especially in sport and generally light hearted but north Wales it seems entirely different. I can understand anti Westminster but confused by anti English 🤷‍♂️

There is and always will be bigots but this seems cultural

I experienced only-speaking-in-welsh-once-they-know-you're-english prejudice the first time I ever went to Wales at the age of 19.

It wasn't very nice and put me off going to Wales for many years afterwards.

Have still only visited Cardiff and Swansea (for work reasons many moons ago, then once when looking at a camper for sale 7 years ago).
Once had a long weekend in Barmouth (where I first learned to water ski), but we had nothing to do with any of the locals.
Then a weekend camping holiday in Anglesey with some friends about 30 years ago, on an official campsite and again not much interaction with locals.

I experienced only-speaking-in-welsh-once-they-know-you're-english prejudice the first time I ever went to Wales at the age of 19.

It wasn't very nice and put me off going to Wales for many years afterwards.

Have still only visited Cardiff and Swansea (for work reasons many moons ago, then once when looking at a camper for sale 7 years ago).
Once had a long weekend in Barmouth (where I first learned to water ski), but we had nothing to do with any of the locals.
Then a weekend camping holiday in Anglesey with some friends about 30 years ago, on an official campsite and again not much interaction with locals.
I found South Wales very different in that respect (and few people speak Welsh in the south anyway) and are welcoming as the average normal person and are very friendly people
I say "average normal person" as it so depends where you are from/going to what you expect and experience :) Someone from the North East who travels to say London would think the locals very strange the way they never want to talk to anyone and god forbid you make eye contact on public transport! (but it never goes to the realm of such overt hostility I think)

It certainly is not all people in North Wales, just a minority which gives the wrong idea for an entire region (Clarence was bought by a very nice and friendly couple from North Wales :) )

I worked on the contract to merge all halifax branches,servers,and workstations.2 days work in each branch.On the English side friendly enough but bring your own tea or coffee.Once in Wales nothing started going until we all had tea and toast all round,friendliest people you could meet.We were camping in South France years ago.The OH said there's a lovely family she'd been talking too,said they were Italian,he had black curly hair and a thin moustace and speaking a foreign language.Turns out they were from North Wales speaking Welsh .:)

So final damp repair quote due later.
Very impressed with Cotswold Caravans and Jeff.
They can also replace the damaged cab roof light/window.
They will do over the winter and collect vehicle from storage.
Good temporary "stop things getting worse" tape in place.
I know some of the wood will have to be replaced anyway..not too much difference if a bit more.

We returned to Maidenhead for the weekend. To
1 Dine with friends on Thursday
2 Visit the bank on Friday
3 Lunch with my neice and family on Saturday
4 Tidy up a mate's laptop on Sunday and beer.
5 Visit a friend pn Monday
Today Tuesday, drive to Ilkeston for an overnight on Poi . A car park for a nature reserve...So far very good ! 20210629_152944.jpg20210629_152916.jpg

i used to work for McVities and had to visit their Tollcross factory. While there we (me and a colleague) called at the staff shop. While there a lady in the shop said, we’ll that’s just it i didn’t know what she said! I said “sorry?”, she said “????”. I said, ”sorry?” again, she repeated herself. I still didn’t know what she’d said, I looked at my colleague for help and he didn‘t know either, so I said “I’m really sorry, but I still haven’t quite got what you said”.

She scowled at me and said “we’ll I’m speaking f******g English!”. I looked at my colleague and we both cracked up saying “I understood that okay” 😂.

We never did find out what she said in the first place.
That takes the bicuit !

We experienced similar in a restaurant in Llanberris we where given a large table and where waiting for our meal another couple came in and where told they where full the man came over and asked if we minded them sharing our table I said they where welcome after they joined us they proceeded to speak Welsh for the rest of the time they where there.

After The 2 Scottish meets plus 2 extra nights at Kelso!
We are now overlooking the Crinan Canal.
We had 1 night at Innerleithen.
Then on via Loch Lomond to Glen Croe.
Now above the Canal.
All on the POI.
Toilet and Grey water disposed of at the campsite in Lochgilphead and fresh water taken 0nboard (£10)
No overnight signs at the "Rest and be thankful carpark" nearby laybys closed for construction items.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back