Phasing out Diesel vehicles

Moonraker 2

I am just beginning to understand that my love affair with my T4 may be limited. VW vans normally keep their value but if there is a concerted effort against diesel vehicles it will make mine obsolete and worthless as no one will want it.
And then what do we do next? put a petrol engine or an electric engine in the original chassy? What do others who own these iconic vans feel?
I have always felt a little guilty about the pollution it produces so electric would be ideal.
Actually my ideal vehicle would be an old horse drawn wagon!

I own a t4 myself , it's all being blown out of proportion , there is no way they can get rid of diesel vehicles the whole world would come to a standstill, it's going to take many many years to do it and I think I for one will no longer be here when the last diesel vehicles will be taken off the road , a few years back when we were told that diesel was the way to go I thought petrol engines would obsolete but look how things have turned around , it's just another way of getting money out of our pockets and into the system, we forget about all the extra pollution being bellowed into the atmosphere by the power stations creating the extra power needed to run electric vehicles . I've seen the advertisements online about the new electronic articulated trucks that they recon will be on the road in the next few years and I think they will spend more time on charge than actually on the road delivering goods .

Last edited:
The driverless cars are the one I want to see and wonder how long it will be before they cause accidents.

I am just beginning to understand that my love affair with my T4 may be limited. VW vans normally keep their value but if there is a concerted effort against diesel vehicles it will make mine obsolete and worthless as no one will want it.
And then what do we do next? put a petrol engine or an electric engine in the original chassy? What do others who own these iconic vans feel?
I have always felt a little guilty about the pollution it produces so electric would be ideal.
Actually my ideal vehicle would be an old horse drawn wagon!
I don't own a T4 but I think sell it now before the price drops :scared:

Its not that the price will drop on your t4 ,but later diesel wagons will slowly be hiked in taxation and the gov will give tax rebate concessions to insurance co to price you out of the market,but this it 22 years away and they will stretch it out.
The way they will do this other than the above is giving a good discount on scrappage,vw are at 7 grand/ford 5 g as from now.
Power to recharge electric will come from wind solar and wave generation and if you look around there building like mad,this will be widespread all over europe and united states until full coverage is compleated.
As for the trucks,well 300 mile range so far which will allow the driver his down time to rest,the truck will be 80% recharged within that time or a replacement b/pack dropped in which should take minutes.
So my advice is keep driving the oil burners because we will be either dead or in the old folks home not remembering what a van is or was.:scared::lol-053::lol-053::lol-053:

Its not that the price will drop on your t4 ,but later diesel wagons will slowly be hiked in taxation and the gov will give tax rebate concessions to insurance co to price you out of the market,but this it 22 years away and they will stretch it out.
The way they will do this other than the above is giving a good discount on scrappage,vw are at 7 grand/ford 5 g as from now.
Power to recharge electric will come from wind solar and wave generation and if you look around there building like mad,this will be widespread all over europe and united states until full coverage is compleated.
As for the trucks,well 300 mile range so far which will allow the driver his down time to rest,the truck will be 80% recharged within that time or a replacement b/pack dropped in which should take minutes.
So my advice is keep driving the oil burners because we will be either dead or in the old folks home not remembering what a van is or was.:scared::lol-053::lol-053::lol-053:

You seem to know a lot
More than me about these things , it all sounds great but I guarantee what ever happens our pockets will suffer

You seem to know a lot
More than me about these things , it all sounds great but I guarantee what ever happens our pockets will suffer

there are lots of electric trucks in china and has been for years and buses . they had to make them makes a noise as they were going along as folk didnt hear them and got run over.
here tnt have had leccy trucks for years .
there are lots already in uk.
i think its time to just hold on to what you have , run it and enjoy it . but dont get a new one .
as been said the way its going we shall be restricted where we can go . or pay.
europe is just way behind on design and technology .
mind usa is as well.
just save your money and get ready to buy leccy.
after all you wont be going far once out of the eu foreign travel for uk citizens will be cut by alot . be only for going to work mostly .
and even then wages will be less as spending is cut as less workers will have jobs .

You seem to know a lot

For sure is that not what the worker bees are for whilst the queen sits at home slurping fine tea,well seamus thinks so,maybe he is not far of the mark.:tongue:

I am already planning to turn mine into a Static.

I will remove everything under the bonnet, fill the space with batteries and mount a large Solar array on the roof and a wind turbine behind it. Self sufficiency is the name of the game.

I went to a talk last Thursday and was told by the speaker a Dr Vice Chancellor Lecturer from Nottingham Univerisity that diesel was cleaner than petrol-engined vehicles.

Maybe someone should ask the people who make these announcements to justify what they are saying?

If you run out of power in your newfangled shoe box-car can you just nip down the road for a can of lecky?

PS.
Was using the word 'PHASING' meant to be a pun? if so well done.

Last edited:
Electric vehicles is all very well, but I'm just wondering if anyone has asked the question of how will we dispose of the billions of batteries that are going to be manufactured for this new venture when they're dead? And we are talking billions!!

the value of a vehicle only matters when you try to sell it. if youre happy with your van and can still get diesel for it i dont see a problem . according to my crystal ball any increase in tax or insurance will be far less than the cost of buying a new electric vehicle.

my mk 5 diesel tranny is shortly due the anual bash holes and weld them up merry go round, but replacing it with a significantly newer vehicle still doesent seem to make economic sense when you factor in purchase price and expected reliability over the next 5 years.

You were lucky then as the rest of them are blocking the A30 on the way to Cornwall :lol-053:

i took a t2 that i built a 1600 single port engine to africa quite a few times . sometimes pulling a teardrop caravan .
it was originally a 2 litre but the single port 1600 is by far the best motor .
certainly aircooled is the way . it worked hard but did the job easily.
i have had a 2.1 t25 and also made and sold and fitted adaptors to put passat or audi engines into aircooled or water cooled t25 /t2,s
but for africa aircooled rules .
i do think often shame i sold my last one . never know might get one and do it all again .
still have lots vw bits to build another nice motor .
bad servicing was the main cause of trouble for many and thrashing them too much.

It's not only diesel cars we should be concerned with, polluting the air. Look up in the sky at all the 'crop sprayers' carrying millions of tourists around the world.

We are doomed, doomed I say.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back