Peugeot gearbox judder?

northernspirit2001

Does anyone have a 2 litre petrol Peugeot or a Fiat with Peugeot engine that has a slight judder when engine under load? Mine is LPG also and so thought initially that was the problem but serviced and analysed fine. Then had new plugs, leads and distributor pack with slight improvement in running, lambda sensor same, exhaust blew a hole in silencer so had that replaced improving running and finally a head test revealed a problem, a burnt out valve. Head off, 2 valves replaced, skim and new cambelt and still just a slight improvement in performance (though this ended the conking out after stopping at the end of a period of driving).

Reading Peugeot forums it seems some have a problem with juddering in reverse, the most prevalent diagnosis of the problem being incorrect gear ratio design by Peugeot, and everyone is waiting for manufacturer to come up with an upgraded box! In the meantime they are suggesting remapping to produce power delivery at lower revs to ease the symptoms which I am going to try next week.

If anyone has any experience with this or helpful comments i'd be grateful, thanks

Strange...

Not saying this is a first, but all the judder that we hear about is the reverse judder which is quite common on certain models with a fix under warranty....:confused:

Hi n2001

Not an expert on this but what year and mileage is your vehicle?
We have a 95 boxer 320MWB 2.5D on a Compass Drifter 360E with 76k on the clock and under drive load in 5th (and sometimes 4th) while pulling uphill the front of the vehicle oscillates sideways slightly. Disappears as soon as the engine is not pulling hard.
From what I have read on forums it would appear several things might cause this i.e. worn track rod ends, ball joints, wheel bearings, but the most likely suspects are drive shafts or distorted tyres from the vehicle weight sitting on the one spot for long periods of inactivity.
I have checked my own TR ends, ball joints, wheel bearings all ok. The inner CV joint on the O/S drive shaft has about 1mm rotary play.
I cannot see any tyre distortion but I am going to swap the front to back wheels this week to see if there is any improvement.
I will keep you posted.
Billy

Hi
Forgot to add that reverse judder was not a common problem until the 2006-onwards with the new shaped fronts came into being.
Also engine gearbox mountings might also be a culprit, in my own vehicle the rear gearbox mounting appears to be pretty squidgy so I am going to replace it.
If anyone other reading this has experience of sorting this problem it would be much appreciated.
Billy

Mine is a 1996 petrol on less than 30k miles. I had a new catalytic converter on it recently which almost completely cured it, but with time it's gone back to how it was. It's not a crippling problem, as long as it gets no worse I should stop thinking about it and enjoy the MH!

Clutch release bearing has just failed on my 03 Peugeot Expert. Reading various web sites about how to fix my problem I see that the dual mass flywheels fitted to modern Peugeots can cause clutch judder :(

Paul H

just been reading about this very thing on the self build forum,one guy got his sorted by pushing the dealer hard

Judder

Clutch release bearing has just failed on my 03 Peugeot Expert. Reading various web sites about how to fix my problem I see that the dual mass flywheels fitted to modern Peugeots can cause clutch judder :(

Paul H

I thought the idea of the Duel Mass Flywheels was to stop any Clutch judder!

Grumpyengraver
:cheers:

Avoid any vehicle with a Dual Mass flywheel. The failure rate is very high. It is possible to get conversions back to a single flywheel, many owners are doing that. The only purpose of DMF is to smooth out the diesel engine vibrations. I think they will slowly fade away as they cause a lot of expensive problems for owners.

Your van will not have the DM flywheel. If it were me, I would be looking at Engine mounts, Gearbox mount, the condition of the Hardy Spicers if it is Rear wheel drive.

It could also be uneven weight distribution or an overloaded vehicle.

The clutch judder on the newer Sevel motorhomes is not there on White Van Man vehicles. This is because they are not constantly fully loaded (or overloaded) and they do not have a big rear overhang (with Scooters, M/bikes, multiple bicycles, rear boxes, etc.) hanging off the back.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back