Peugeot 2.8HDI

alwaysared

Does anyone have a MH with the Peugeot 2.8 HDI? Am right in believing it doesn't have a turbo? Any thoughts on this power unit?

Regards,
Del

Not really up on Boxers, what age is it. I got a feeling HDI is a common rail with turbo though.

The 2.8 could be either non turbo, or turbo, but pretty sure it wouldn't be a HDI though. Sorry, not much help.

Not really up on Boxers, what age is it. I got a feeling HDI is a common rail with turbo though.

The 2.8 could be either non turbo, or turbo, but pretty sure it wouldn't be a HDI though. Sorry, not much help.

It's a 2006 and the reg shows it has a HDi and doesn't mention turbo and the guy selling the van has no said that it doesn't have a turbo fitted.

Regards,
Del

It's a 2006 and the reg shows it has a HDi and doesn't mention turbo and the guy selling the van has no said that it doesn't have a turbo fitted.

Regards,
Del

Pretty sure thats a turbo. I'd even put a fiver on it ;)

HDI was Peugeot version of the Ducato JTD, which was something turbo diesel.

Last edited:
My van is a 2.8 HDI Peugeot and it’s got a turbo.
It’s tucked right at the back of the engine out off site 😏😆.
Easy way to find out is to get underneath and follow
The exhaust, it’ll lead you to it. Mark

I’m another saying at that year it would have a turbo as they tried to reduce emissions even back then.

It's all very confusing, all the research online, the links given in this thread etc. all point to it being turbo but when I got a quote for insurance the insurance company think it's non turbo :confused:

Regards,
Del

Definitely turbo ...

Have a look here:

Fiat Ducato and Peugeot Boxer Buyer's Guide | Advice | Practical Motorhome

From the facelift on, cleaner, more powerful common-rail units came along in 2.0 non-intercooled turbo diesel, 2.3 or 2.8 litre intercooled turbo diesels. These are smoother, more powerful and refined engines but still have a good reputation for reliability. Excess smoke on boost can indicate that the turbo is about to give out while sluggish performance and smoke suggest injector, pump or intercooler issues. None should be treated lightly. All drove through a five speed manual gearbox. Check that fifth gear engages properly as most transmission problems centre around this. Some automatics were manufactured, delivering power to the front wheels, but these are rare in the UK and were only available as left-hand drive.

The facelift refers to the introduction of the X244 model in 2002.

Why dont you just look in at it.

That's what I've decided to do, we're having a day out tomorrow after all if I want to buy it I need to see it and regardless of the turbo question it may not be the van we want anyway.

Regards,
Del

If you do look just follow the exhaust back to the engine
If it looks like this then it’s got a turbo, if not then it hasn’t 😉. Mark 26052B97-903E-4853-AB9E-18B87A1BDE54.jpeg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back