pet passport

sammclouis said:
not sure if i know you though,soon find out we are bound to know someone who knows someone else eh :D :D
Of course! we're probably related somehow :D

Pet Passport

You need to have your pet microchipped (cost now as low as £10-ours cost £30 2003) It then needs a rabies vaccination (ours cost about £60 in 2003). After I believe 1 month you return to the vet for a blood sample to be taken to ensure the antibodies have developed, then I think the wait is 6 months b4 you are able to bring your pet back to the UK after travelling to Europe. Your pet then has to have regular rabies vaccinations every 2 years for most of Europe but Spain (surprise surprise) may require every year. It is important that you have the 2 or 1 year update for the rabies done prior to the lapse of a complete year ie. if vaccinated 1 Aug 2007 for example wait no later than 31 July 2008 otherwise you have to go through the whole process again includung the 6 month wait. The vet will issue a passport for your pet (nominal charge) Each time you return to the UK you have to visit a vet between 24 & 48 hours b4 you travel back for treatment for ticks and parasites( we have been paying approximately 35 euros) You then have to travel no earlier than 24 hours after the treatment but b4 48 hours after treatment. It sounds complicated but after the first time it pretty easy. Our westie has now travelled 8 times with us. Hope this helps
Paul Mashford

hi we took our boxer to Europe last year but found it difficult to find a vet to treat him before we returned to UK, i would suggest you find one and book in before you travel and make sure they dont rip you off, we paid 60 euros!!

flossie333 said:
hi we took our boxer to Europe last year but found it difficult to find a vet to treat him before we returned to UK, i would suggest you find one and book in before you travel and make sure they dont rip you off, we paid 60 euros!!
ok thanks for that flossie,but when you say treat was there a problem,was your boxer sick or was it for checks to return to england as iv heard you need to have them looked over before return?
DSC01993-1.jpg

Hi
Pet passports cost about £120 pounds
first you need to get the dog chipped and have a rabies jab
After a few weeks a blood test is taken and providing it is clear the dog can travel back to the UK 6 months later.
booster rabies jabs required every two years. All all jabs must be up to date
Before you leave this country the animal must visit your own vet to get tick treatment and wormed within 48hours of arriving in europe. Cost approx £20
When leaving europe the animal must visit the vet again within 48hours of your return journey for the same treatment. Cost approx 20 euros/
There is a list of vets see vets in europe web site. It is worth contacting a vet before you leave and make an appointment. We did this in Brugges with no trouble and they were very helpful.
Hope this helps
Have a great time taking your dog on holiday

Just one little aside on taking your dog to La Belle France. There are certain proscribed breeds and it's worth checking to make sure that yours is not one of them.
It is for things like Rotties, Dobermans, all the Bull breeds etc. They have to be muzzled at all times when they are out I think. I met an English couple last year and when I said "That's a nice Rottie" They got quite upset because it was cross. They told me that the Rozzers can be real a***y about dogs. In other words, if I thought it was a Rottie then so would a Flic.

Re Pets Passport

Hi,

The initial cost is the worst but having said that not too bad.

1. The pet needs a microchip (used to check correct dog/identity)

2. Anti Rabies vaccination (this may be 2 vaccinations at different times but was one vaccination when we did ours)

3. A month later a Blood Test

4. If blood test shows pet has immunity against Rabies then all is well. Sometimes vaccination has to be repeated if no immunity.

5. You can now have the Blue EU Pets Passport. There is a cost for filling this in etc.

6. The pet can go aroad one month after blood test shows pet has immunity. this is usefull to know as some people go abroad for more than just their annual holidays.
7. Pet can only return to UK after six months from Blood Test showing immunity. This is only important for the first time doing the pets passport requirements. Thereafter providing the anti rabies vaccination is kept up to date then all will be ok. lapse the anti rabies vaccination by even one day and you will have to repeat the whole process!
8. The period of validity of the anti rabies vaccination as stamped in the passport is what you go by if in Europe for holidays. BUT if in a country for 3 months or more then that European countries requirements will need to be adhered to i.e anti rabies every year in case of France etc whereas our anti rabies vaccinations validity is 2 years or even 3 years I have read/heard.

9. RETURNING TO UK
The pet must have treatment at a vets for Tick and worm this must be done 24-48hrs prior to booking in at the Ferry or shuttle. (not travel time) Must not be earlier than 24hrs or later than 48 hrs when booking in or being checked.

Things can and do change so a useful web site is:

www.defra.gov.uk

Hope this info is of some use.

Re Pets Passport

Also of use is

http://www.pagesjeune.fr/ciweb2g-pagesjaunes/RecherchePagesJaunes.do

if searching for vets in France.

We tend to find it costs around the 40€ mark depending whether we take our own Frontline with us or not. (for tick treatment)

Buying Frontline is cheaper in France though than uk vets but

www.petmed.co.uk

is useful as you can now buy Frontline without a prescription.

The cheapest place for the vets treatment we have come across was at Ypres/Ieper in Belgium.

We stopped at the small campsite near Menin Gate and walked to vets which was about 10 mins walk away and cost us last year 26+ euros.

Karmann said:
Hi
Pet passports cost about £120 pounds
first you need to get the dog chipped and have a rabies jab
After a few weeks a blood test is taken and providing it is clear the dog can travel back to the UK 6 months later.
booster rabies jabs required every two years. All all jabs must be up to date
Before you leave this country the animal must visit your own vet to get tick treatment and wormed within 48hours of arriving in europe. Cost approx £20
When leaving europe the animal must visit the vet again within 48hours of your return journey for the same treatment. Cost approx 20 euros/
There is a list of vets see vets in europe web site. It is worth contacting a vet before you leave and make an appointment. We did this in Brugges with no trouble and they were very helpful.
Hope this helps
Have a great time taking your dog on holiday
1st class info karmann,cheers mate x

No Spot-on - we're just wondering if we can get ourselves chipped and there certainly some of us may need a Rabies booster.
Me/ I definitely need worming again and as for the fleas and ticks...

sammclouis said:
hi does anyone have any info on gettin a pet passport we have a boxer who we would love to take in our m/h abroad next year
1.how much is the cost around?
2.what does it involve to get it?
3.does it mean we can go to any country or are there restrictions
any help much appreciated thanks sam

Hi sam, a visit to your vet,s receptionist will give you all you need to know and the info will be accurate with precise time intervals ect.

hi we just had to book our dog in for the flea and parasite treatments, thankfully our boy didn`t get sick but he did struggle terribly with the heat.we kept a couple of damp towels in the freezer to cover him with when he overheated, sounds a bit odd but worked wonders.

That's a good point about the heat: It flattens some of us coming from Northern Europe, just think what it must to our furry chums

zulurita said:
Also of use is

http://www.pagesjeune.fr/ciweb2g-pagesjaunes/RecherchePagesJaunes.do

if searching for vets in France.

We tend to find it costs around the 40€ mark depending whether we take our own Frontline with us or not. (for tick treatment)

Buying Frontline is cheaper in France though than uk vets but

www.petmed.co.uk

is useful as you can now buy Frontline without a prescription.

The cheapest place for the vets treatment we have come across was at Ypres/Ieper in Belgium.

We stopped at the small campsite near Menin Gate and walked to vets which was about 10 mins walk away and cost us last year 26+ euros.
great info,thanks,i think iv got everything covered thanks to all members that shared their info :D

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back