Pet passport 🐶

yeoblade

20230406_140315.jpg
Je suis français👍.
All done for 110 €.

Wish it was as easy for me!

Well done - did your dog get a rabies booster too? If not, make sure the chip read/inserted date isn't later than the rabies booster date.

Cheaper in Bruges, as I reported earlier. Just 67€ ...
I've just joined a FB group about AHC's. Lots of excellent info and lots of posts about Pet Passports in Bruges. I think we'll be going that way when we make it across the channel. I wonder if the EU will try and close loopholes like this in time.

I've just joined a FB group about AHC's. Lots of excellent info and lots of posts about Pet Passports in Bruges. I think we'll be going that way when we make it across the channel. I wonder if the EU will try and close loopholes like this in time.
I think I know that FB group and if so, it's generally very good (with the usual FB caveat)

I don't think the PP thing is a loophole though. An animal doesn't have nationality and the passport is only a record of rabies vaccinations so any vet can issue one for the country they are in. The problem is only that a UK issued one isn't valid to travel to the EU. And in France, in order to get one, the animal ”should” also be registered on the ICAD chip database, which requires a French address (i.e. its not the passport that is the stumbling block, its the ICAD registration). And that word ”should” is open to interpretation but cleverer people than me can fight that battle if they want to. So in France (and some other countries) it's harder, but as you said in Belgium, Spain, Portugal it's no bother.

Out of interest @yeoblade did you have a French address and ICAD registration, or was your vet interpreting that word ”should” with more flexibility?

I have a 2 Spanish rescue dogs, the most recent still has a European passport but needs a booster jab before 23rd May for continuity, this means I need to take her to Europe to get her ‘shots’ so she can travel in and out,so, my questionS are is it worth me taking a short break primarily to get her passport updated and secondly could I get this done in Ireland or even Ulster?. My older dog will need to travel with a UK EHC which costs about £200-£300 so it’s primarily a cost exercise to save money in the future.

You could go to Ireland - whether it's worth taking a short trip to there or elsewhere in Europe depends on too many other financial factors to say. You can get AHCs from various vets for £99 or thereabouts and often less for a second dog. These are from vets that ask you to complete all the info online, contact your vet to verify the rabies dates, then you either go to them or they come to you, they scan your dog to verify it's the same one as you have described, and issue the AHC.

I think I know that FB group and if so, it's generally very good (with the usual FB caveat)

I don't think the PP thing is a loophole though. An animal doesn't have nationality and the passport is only a record of rabies vaccinations so any vet can issue one for the country they are in. The problem is only that a UK issued one isn't valid to travel to the EU. And in France, in order to get one, the animal ”should” also be registered on the ICAD chip database, which requires a French address (i.e. its not the passport that is the stumbling block, its the ICAD registration). And that word ”should” is open to interpretation but cleverer people than me can fight that battle if they want to. So in France (and some other countries) it's harder, but as you said in Belgium, Spain, Portugal it's no bother.

Out of interest @yeoblade did you have a French address and ICAD registration, or was your vet interpreting that word ”should” with more flexibility?
So the cost was to cover:
  • Initial vet consolation to lodge register on ICD system
  • ICAD reg fee
  • Passport fee
  • 3YR Rabies jab
  • Second vet consultation (8 days later)
  • Worming for return to UK journey.

@Jo001 - Yes we have a French house for ICAD reg (though apparently without us being FR. resident they can question issuing an ICAD)

Note: The FR passport rabies inoculation needs to be 28 days before effective for travel, Luckily we are returning from UK to FR 31 days AFTER the jab so just a long enough period. IF we were returning to FR with 28 days we would have had to get another EHC 🥵.

Obviously, for us, using a vet 4km from our house was easier than traveling to another country to avoid ICAD regs, and ICAD registration takes about 1 week so this could be a problem for some.

It's not true about not needing the dog on a register with a spanish address in Spain..
In Andalucia our dog needed an address, we were told its was to do with the close proximity to Morocco. It took 7 days for the government to return the number so the vet could register the dog.
Total cost €43 .
Some other areas/regions do not require this process.

I have a 2 Spanish rescue dogs, the most recent still has a European passport but needs a booster jab before 23rd May for continuity, this means I need to take her to Europe to get her ‘shots’ so she can travel in and out,so, my questionS are is it worth me taking a short break primarily to get her passport updated and secondly could I get this done in Ireland or even Ulster?. My older dog will need to travel with a UK EHC which costs about £200-£300 so it’s primarily a cost exercise to save money in the future.
If It's OK to mention it here FB group Animal Health Certificate have a map of cheaper providers in the UK. They are not allowed to post the AHC to you, so use one near your point of departure or where you live. I was surprised to see one in Monmouth, only half an hour from us.

Looked into the AHC and it was offered at £110. Not too bad I thought until they said they don't do the rabies and worming.
My vet can do a 1 year jab for a 10% discount. That's £90 please. Then the cost of the vet giving my dog the worming tablet plus the admin fee to pass the details over to the AHC guy.
We're off to Ireland to get it the EU one for £70 and have a tour about

Looked into the AHC and it was offered at £110. Not too bad I thought until they said they don't do the rabies and worming.
My vet can do a 1 year jab for a 10% discount. That's £90 please. Then the cost of the vet giving my dog the worming tablet plus the admin fee to pass the details over to the AHC guy.
We're off to Ireland to get it the EU one for £70 and have a tour about
Are you sneaking into Ireland without an AHC to get the Pet Passport?

Excellent question
We were speaking to someone on a stand promoting all things Ireland at the MH show at the NEC, and he told us if you get the ferry across to Belfast then drive south, you'll never get stopped or asked for anything.

But he was trying to get people to go there on holiday.

was a relatively pain free exercise to obtain a passport for our setter pup maeve in portugal €30 only difficulty was that i hadn’t transfered the chip into my name it was still in the breeders name that took couple of days to clarify then the chip was registered to a campsite address and the rabies details certified onto new passport , that €30 was for about 3 times the work involved in the AHC that cost £150 in the uk ,

I believe the requirement for an AHC to visit Ireland is suspended.

I think this has come up before but I can't see, .

Exactly when does the timing ( 1 to 5 days) of the worming tablet for the return trip get logged, France pet check time, or UK entry time or maybe some other time ?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back