Pennine way

Gnomus

Going back on the walk after last weeks weather interupted my journey. My plan is to park up somewhere quiet on the moors above Stalybridge and in the morning park up there, train or bus to Hadfield, stroll along the Cycle path to Torside then off on the Way. If end at Standedge can get a bus to Greenfield and back to Stalybridge somehow. if its a two day job will think about Ashton under Lyne as a transport base for day 2 . I may push on to the Calder Vally where I will bus to Todmorden rather than Hebbden Bridge and from there get back to the van. The train from Todmorden is cheaper and I can go for a night out in Hebden Bridge which is one of my favourite towns another day. The next day I will overnight near Todmorden, during the day park up there, bus back to the start of the Way and walk to Cowling and bus to Keighley and from there train back to the van. Wonder if anyone has any views on these plans?

As I live local.... Be wary where you park.
Sadly most of the quiet looking spots around here are frequented by the local ner do Wells...
I certainly wouldn't want to spend the night in any of them and am frankly wary of leaving my vehicle in them in the day.
Sorry for sounding negative BUT I'm afraid it's the truth.
Too many busy conurbations around.

Going back on the walk after last weeks weather interupted my journey. My plan is to park up somewhere quiet on the moors above Stalybridge and in the morning park up there, train or bus to Hadfield, stroll along the Cycle path to Torside then off on the Way. If end at Standedge can get a bus to Greenfield and back to Stalybridge somehow. if its a two day job will think about Ashton under Lyne as a transport base for day 2 . I may push on to the Calder Vally where I will bus to Todmorden rather than Hebbden Bridge and from there get back to the van. The train from Todmorden is cheaper and I can go for a night out in Hebden Bridge which is one of my favourite towns another day. The next day I will overnight near Todmorden, during the day park up there, bus back to the start of the Way and walk to Cowling and bus to Keighley and from there train back to the van. Wonder if anyone has any views on these plans?
PM me if you want to empty your toilet and take on water or put a load in the washing machine (no dryer) in Todmorden or need any local information. I can advise where to park overnight for free in the centre of Tod (few min walk to train or bus) but cant risk putting it on the location app as if people get the wrong carpark (next to each other) you will get a ticket (ANPR)

Last edited:
PM me if you want to empty your toilet and take on water or put a load in the washing machine (no dryer) in Todmorden or need any local information. I can advise where to park overnight for free in the centre of Tod (few min walk to train or bus) but cant risk putting it on the location app as if people get the wrong carpark (next to each other) you will get a ticket (ANPR)
Thanks for that will do that, the car parl would be useful

I did the Pennine Way in 1972 from Edale to Kirk Yetholm using Wainrights book, god bless him, and got my free pint in the pub, had typical pennine weather, took 14 days from end to end and had 10 days rain, the last day as I crossed over the border the heavans opened and I arrived at the pub with water running out of my boots, a fantastic walk and I would have loved to have turned round and walked back down again.
Good luck with your walk and take your time to enjoy it 👍👍
I understand that the free pint has gone with Wainright to the walkers paradise ☹☹

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back