Paying norwegian tolls Help please

Derekoak

We ordered a fremtind service tag which has collected 1100 Norwegian krone of tolls at the Danish bridges and the deposit for the tag. At this point an invoice is issued. I tried to pay by international money transfer using Revolut. This failed. It only costs me less than 50 p when revolut fails as ai have a Nok account in revolut so there is no loss in exchange on return. It also failed earlier paying a prepaid 3000NOK to the autopass ferry system. Apparently Norwegian banks will not accept money transfers from Revolut?
I have a santander bank account. I use a mobile app to connect to my account. It does not have the facility to send international money transfers. Santander website does not seem to like connecting to our mobile devices and nearly always throws us out. It is Possible I suppose to phone Santander and get an international transfer by phone. I know the fee is 25 pound (equivalent to 300NOK). also if the transfer fails there will be exchange losses.
We are here for 3 months. It seems daft to pay such big fees for a relatively small amount every month. I wonder if I could pay the total when I return? Does anyone who has experience of paying Norway tolls have any advice?
I tried a chat with fremtind service but it was cut off at 6pm closing time. They did not seem able to help up to that point other than to say that Revolut would not work.
I was relying on Revolut for foreign transactions. It works fine for buying fuel etc.

Had no problems using Revolut or FairFX throughout Scandinavia and Finland in March/April Derek, can only suggest continuing attempts at contacting them directly??

There are a number of company’s that do not accept revolut in Norway but most retail outlets will
May I suggest calling the provider or if you need to transfer use we transfer as I do to Norway often for my Norwegian family
It’s easy to use and costs about 2 pound to transfer
I would not wait for return to UKin my experience extra charges are added

There are a number of company’s that do not accept revolut in Norway but most retail outlets will
May I suggest calling the provider or if you need to transfer use ‘Transfer Wise’ as I do to Norway often for my Norwegian family
It’s easy to use and costs about 2 pound to transfer
I would not wait for return to UKin my experience extra charges are added for late payment

If you have experience of how you paid for tolls and ferries when you finally got home please tell me? Did the invoice insist on payment by international transfer? What fee did your bank charge. Which bank? At least you only had one transfer so only one fee? I think if you do not open an account then you I imagine, get a bill at home as you say. I was enticed by the discounts and was worried that as we were going for 3 months and a few days, that we would get a late payment fine, but the discounts do not at the moment compare to the Santander international transfer fee of at least 300 krone equvalent every time our account goes over 500 krone and they bill us!
So I may have shot myself in the foot. If revolut had been accepted it would have been fine as the fee is only about 3 krone, but it has always failed.
There is a time limit for payment of the invoice of a fortnight. I do have an unused Nationwide flex account with enough money in it. That might be an option. It used to require an electronic security gadget that of course is not with me but perhaps security has moved on?
Otherwise as a long shot I am visiting a Half Danish school friend, who has Norwegian family. Perhaps they could pay my invoice(s), from A Norwegian bank, all Norwegian car owners must know how to pay tolls. I could repay them with Revolut or PayPal or cash to my friend.
Otherwise I will be paying penalties.

Reactions: REC
Might be worth checking out Wise. https://wise.com/ You might be able to set up a NOK account and then transfer NOK from Revolut NOK account to Wise NOK account and thence to Fremtind.

It was a few years ago so I cannot remember the name of the organisation that chased me up. I received a letter in the post that showed a picture of my vehicle and time stamp for each use of the Toll section and the fee.
It of course had their company and contact details along with an English bank account that I could transfer the money for payment and no penalty charge.
The system did not record one of my journeys so it worked out cheaper!
This worked on my last two trips.
( Interestingly the winning party at a recent general election promised to remove all tolls, exactly like the promises for the Dartford crossing. )

I just looked up "transfer wise" and it said "transfers to Norway coming soon" there were a lot of countries you could transfer to though.
So I looked again and found "Wise, used to be called transfer wise". That does transfer to Norwegian. That is also what TJBi suggested..

I tried Wise but Fremtind refused that too! They only told me after that that they also do not accept PayPal. I wish they had all this in their FAQS. I am now trying to see if my friend can enquire with his Norwegian family.

OK later that day I looked at my account and the invoice was shown as paid so it appeared that Wise worked. It was the weekend so I waited until Monday and checked on a live chat that the invoice was paid and the email from the accounts department was somehow wrong. So I will see if the next invoice works the same way.

OK later that day I looked at my account and the invoice was shown as paid so it appeared that Wise worked. It was the weekend so I waited until Monday and checked on a live chat that the invoice was paid and the email from the accounts department was somehow wrong. So I will see if the next invoice works the same way.
That's good! Must say that I can't see why their bank should be refusing electronic payments from particular financial institutions.

Thanks, glad it has a ll worked for. You.
I will try starling but nice to have a fallback option

That's good! Must say that I can't see why their bank should be refusing electronic payments from particular financial institutions.
I can't see any reason! I just assumed everything would be fine as many people said revolut was a good solution.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back