Passport warning

Fisherman

My current passport will be 10 years old 22 April 2024, and was issued 12 November 2014.

I am travelling to the EU 11 March 2024 staying for a week.

After checking the validity I have been informed that it does not meet the entry criteria for the EU.

Ok it will be less than ten years of age when I travel, but it also has to be valid for three months after the date I leave. This was the bit I was unsure of. Yes it’s valid till 12 November 2024, but any time 10 years after the issue date is not valid for EU travel, so it’s invalid.

Now I am sure most on here know all of this, particularly those who travel the EU in their vans, but I thought this was worth a mention.

Last edited:
My current passport will be 10 years old 22 April 2024, and was issued 12 November 2014.

I am travelling to the EU 11 March 2024 staying for a week.

After checking the validity I have been informed that it does not meet the entry criteria for the EU.

Ok it will be less than ten years of age when I travel, but it also has to be valid for three months after the date I leave. This was the bit I was unsure of. Yes it’s valid till 12 November 2024, but any time 10 years after the issue date is not valid for EU travel, so it’s invalid.

Now I am sure most on here know all of this, particularly those who travel the EU in their vans, but I thought this was worth a mention.
It's also on the UK Government Webpages for each EU Member State Travel. I have subscribed for the France and Spain Travel Update Pages

Steve

Can you just confirm those dates please?
I cannot understand why a passport issued November 2014 would expire BEFORE November 2024
I can appreciate that one issued November 2013 might have unexpired months added from the previous passport!

Gordon

Can you just confirm those dates please?
I cannot understand why a passport issued November 2014 would expire BEFORE November 2024
I can appreciate that one issued November 2013 might have unexpired months added from the previous passport!

Gordon
I think it was issue in April 2014. But expires Nov 2024 which is over 10 years and no longer valid

The requirement is, your passport was issued within 10 years on day of arrival, and is valid until the day you leave plus 3 months.

Surely that means the last day you can spend in Schengen is 12 Aug 2024?

Last edited:
I'm confused, but tbh not bothered as just got new passports for us both at the back end of last year (2022). (y)

No need to personally worry for a while.

(also, by the time they expire, quite possible I'll also be expired - problem eliminated permanently!! :oops:🤷‍♀️💀 ;)🙃 )

The problem arises because the UK backlog [before they transferred Passport production to France, IIRC] led to advance renewals being encouraged, up to 9 months before expiry, with the 9 months being added to the new Passport, to give a 10 years 9 months expiry date from issue. No problem whilst an EU Member State, but after leaving, UK became a standard Third Country and subject to the 'no older than 10 years and must be valid for 3 months after proposed return date to UK' twin criteria

Steve

The requirement is, your passport was issued within 10 years on day of arrival, and is valid until the day you leave plus 3 months.

Surely that means the last day you can spend in Schengen is 12 Aug 2024?
Yes mark but the problem is the extension past April is not accepted by the EU, or most other countries, inc Australia, or the US.
Therefore as far as they are concerned my passport terminates in April, this means I don't have a valid three month period after I leave on March 18.
I though the same as you till I checked it out.

Just get a new passport. Can you do that before your old one has expired? :unsure:

If not just fib and tell 'em you've lost your old one or something? ;) :cool:

For what it will cost (in relative terms) it's not worth arguing about, imho. And you've got plenty of time to apply for a new one before you travel next year (y) 🤷‍♀️

The bughas make sure you lose out whichever way the cookie crumbles, but at least with a brand new passport you'll be free to travel without worrying about whether you fall within expiry dates etc. etc. ??

Just get a new passport. Can you do that before your old one has expired? :unsure:

If not just fib and tell 'em you've lost your old one or something? ;) :cool:

For what it will cost (in relative terms) it's not worth arguing about, imho. And you've got plenty of time to apply for a new one before you travel next year (y) 🤷‍♀️

The bughas make sure you lose out whichever way the cookie crumbles, but at least with a brand new passport you'll be free to travel without worrying about whether you fall within expiry dates etc. etc. ??
I will be Marie, and you can apply for one anytime you please.

Yes mark but the problem is the extension past April is not accepted by the EU, or most other countries, inc Australia, or the US.
Therefore as far as they are concerned my passport terminates in April, this means I don't have a valid three month period after I leave on March 18.
I though the same as you till I checked it out.

NO!!!!!!

Please tell me that's not true. :ROFLMAO:

And fortunately it's not. :p:ROFLMAO:

This anomaly is a hassle , but thankfully we have one of the most powerful passports in the world. https://edition.cnn.com/travel/powerful-passports-2023/index.html
It's not an anomaly, it's a consequence of UK becoming a Third Country in its dealings with EU after the decision to leave the organisation. In the interest of accuracy, I should acknowledge that UK has climbed back to 4th spot, from about 7th/8th spot on the earlier league table compiled before the EU/UK Windsor Agreement within the last 12 months

And we will still face the Passport Checks and Delays because UK Government spurned the EU Offer matching the terms for UK citizens visiting EU as apply to EU citizens visiting UK

Steve

It's not an anomaly, it's a consequence of UK becoming a Third Country in its dealings with EU after the decision to leave the organisation. In the interest of accuracy, I should acknowledge that UK has climbed back to 4th spot, from about 7th/8th spot on the earlier league table compiled before the EU/UK Windsor Agreement within the last 12 months

And we will still face the Passport Checks and Delays because UK Government spurned the EU Offer matching the terms for UK citizens visiting EU as apply to EU citizens visiting UK

Steve
Bottom line Steve, I need a new passport. :(

Bottom line Steve, I need a new passport. :(
True, so nothing else really matters! 'Comply or stay at home' would seem to be the maxim. I applied for my non C1 Driving Licence on Monday, 'will be delivered within 2 weeks'. It arrived this morning, effective from 19th July, so my C1 has evaporated 10 weeks early! C'est la vie [the French really should get a phrase for this ...] :ROFLMAO:

Steve

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back