Park up

jeanette

Saw this on FB and Phil kindly said I could post it on here for when we’re allowed out!
92514068-714B-44EA-B514-8C6F4A81E0FA.jpeg

I think that's a great idea and Holly Philp has a wonderful attitude, makes a change from the usual bad stuff we get from people, I'd happily pay £5 to stop there.

I mentioned on another thread that I’ve had great success is camping on farms, just asking a farmer if it’s okay to camp for the night and paying a few quid.

The problems I can see with Holly’s idea are all a product of our modern society:
As mentioned above, insurance. In these ambulance chasing days of everything being someone else’s responsibility the consequences could be catastrophic.
Planning. In the highland council area it’s not that difficult to obtain a license to have a small number of camping pitches, up to six I believe. In some areas there’s grant money about to help you provide these spaces. Though, without planning you can get into bother. I’m not sure all her neighbours would be overly chuffed either.
Stupidity. Ultimately, some one will spoil it for everyone. Holly would only need one idiot to ruin her generosity. Someone who became anti social, dropped waste, caused damage or whatever. It’s this thing again about folk believing they don’t have to take responsibility.

Wouldn’t it be great if there was a network of folk like Holly? Decent people seeing an opportunity to make a couple of quid and to help out us van dwellers. This would rely on decency and for no one to start trying to take advantage, I fear two lost causes.
I try and be optimistic looking towards the new normal. With what I’ve seen over recent times has only reinforced that the idiot element is still very much alive and kicking.

I mentioned on another thread that I’ve had great success is camping on farms, just asking a farmer if it’s okay to camp for the night and paying a few quid.

The problems I can see with Holly’s idea are all a product of our modern society:
As mentioned above, insurance. In these ambulance chasing days of everything being someone else’s responsibility the consequences could be catastrophic.
Planning. In the highland council area it’s not that difficult to obtain a license to have a small number of camping pitches, up to six I believe. In some areas there’s grant money about to help you provide these spaces. Though, without planning you can get into bother. I’m not sure all her neighbours would be overly chuffed either.
Stupidity. Ultimately, some one will spoil it for everyone. Holly would only need one idiot to ruin her generosity. Someone who became anti social, dropped waste, caused damage or whatever. It’s this thing again about folk believing they don’t have to take responsibility.

Wouldn’t it be great if there was a network of folk like Holly? Decent people seeing an opportunity to make a couple of quid and to help out us van dwellers. This would rely on decency and for no one to start trying to take advantage, I fear two lost causes.
I try and be optimistic looking towards the new normal. With what I’ve seen over recent times has only reinforced that the idiot element is still very much alive and kicking.
I’ve managed to view the comments on the website but I can’t comment as I’m not a member. I’ve approached the local authority now and so far they seem happy with the idea, but I’m awaiting information about necessary planning or licence implications....there’s always hurdles unfortunately but hopefully nothing that will be insurmountable or too costly. I’m feeling positive about making it happen, and I’m overwhelmed by how supportive and appreciative the motorhome community has been, offering great advice and suggestions too. Fingers crossed I can get this up and running x

This is what Holly said when she viewed the comments sorry Red Dwarf meant to put that here!..:rolleyes:🤦‍♀️

I think that it would be great if this sort of idea became widespread, but fear thar the provisions of caravan site legislation may make it illegal.
Are the rules the same in Scotland as in England?
Does the CL rules apply, ie No more than 5 units, or again is this a Caravan Club rule?

There are a couple of campsites in Portugal which are on farms who say pay what you can. I think that would be an option Holly could consider....£5 but more at your discretion / ability. One in particular allows children to "help" with the animals and adults can help with breadmaking, harvesting veg. Would pay more if doing this. Insurance....might kibosh this though.

The enquiry we had at the beginning of this year from an old farmer customer of ours in North Northumberland was along similar lines.

He wanted to offer cheap (maybe even free?) safe off-road parking/camping on his land because of the influx they had last year of idiots camping in the dunes etc. and leaving all their tents, camping gear, rubbish and effluent behind.

Needed to know what would be a minimum requirement that people would be happy with.
I told him (speaking for motorhomes only) a black waste disposal facility and access to fresh water would be great.
Anything else not really essential. He found it difficult to believe that's all we would need!!! (But also encouraging!).
I'm keeping fingers crossed that he goes ahead with something, as it's in a lovely spot not far from all the best (well I think they are) coastal bits.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back