Park and Ride Edinburgh question ?

AdriaTwin

Free Member
I remember seeing a post somewhere about height barriers recently installed on a P+R Edinburgh, but cant find it ( dare I say it could have been on another Forum !).
Does anyone know if Ingliston P+R has barriors and if not is it a regular bus service into centre ? Anyone used it ?
Please

Park and Ride Edinburgh

I live near the Sherriffhall Park and Ride in Edinburgh and as far as I remember there is no height restriction there. Also the Sheriffhall P+R is better as travelling to Ingliston and the west (even with bus lanes) can be a real pain. (maybe I'm biased)

Can't see why they would put height barriers if buses have to access the P+R sites.

I will go and have a look at the Sherriffhall P+R tonight as we pass it on the way out for meal.

Best Wishes

Ian

Edinburgh Park and Ride - Sherriffhall

parkride.gif

This photo was taken on Sunday 3rd April 2007 at 7pm [BST]

Sherrifhall does indeed have 2 metre height barriers on BOTH car parks but they do not affect bus lane in/out.

Eventually all P+R near Edinburgh will be the same knowing councils around here.

Best Wishes

Ian

thanks guys but its P+R on the West side of Edinburgh we want to use, Ingliston or Hermiston.

P+R

following your suggestion Runnach I sent the following E-mail to edinburgh council:

Dear Edinburgh

I recently read reports that the Sheriffhall Park and Ride facilities had
started to DISCRIMINATE against Motorhome users - with the installation of
height barriers (max 2m height).
We intend to visit your beautiful city over the Easter weekend in our
Motorhome ( I`m sure we won`t be the only one ) wishing to make use of your
Park and Ride facilities and consequently spend money in the many tourist
attractions . Will this be possible at any of your sites or should we head
elsewhere ?
Your anti discrimination policies throughout Council Services must surely
include this example - legally.
Please advise.
Thank you for your assistance
Steve Shaw
Liversedge, West Yorkshire
A contributor to the Tourist economy ...................

and received this reply today:

Dear Mr Shaw

Subject: Park and Ride - for Motorhomes

Thank you for contacting the City of Edinburgh Council on 05 April 2011.

We try to answer all of our enquiries at the first point of contact. This has not been possible in this instance and I have asked the appropriate service area to reply to you by 20 April 2011.

If you require further assistance, please contact the Customer Care team using any of the details given below. Please quote your reference number.

You can find more information on our services on our website at The City of Edinburgh Council Homepage
Yours sincerely

Linzi Carr

SO it could 15 days for a reply by the instant communication method - Email by which time I will already be touring scotland !!
Wonder how long a reply would be by Royal mail letter ??? !!!

Got a reply 2 days before we set off for Scotland :

Dear Mr Shaw

Subject: Sheriffhall Park and Ride - facilities for Motorhomes

Thank you for your complaint received on 5 April 2011. There are a number of Park and Ride sites on the periphery of Edinburgh where, from time to time, groups of travellers park for a number of days and cause a nuisance to the environment and to other users of the facility. It may be for this reason that height restrictions have been imposed.

According to the Lothian Buses web-site about the park and ride facilities around Edinburgh, which may be viewed at Park & Ride, “Coach Parking
Edinburgh's Park & Ride facilities at Hermiston and Ingliston have a limited capacity for visiting coaches. For enquiries, coach operators should contact 0131 555 6363.” Those sites may therefore not have a height restriction.

I do not know the dimensions of your motor home, but if it is longer than a standard car parking space then you are likely to be penalised if you use an on-street parking space within the city centre. So looking for a barrier-free park& ride site seems to be one option of advantage to you.

Lastly, the Park & Ride facility at Sheriffhall is actually located within the area of Midlothian Council. That Council advises that “If you have any comments on the operation of the new Park and Ride site - lighting, cleaning, winter-gritting, real time information etc - then please contact the Midlothian Travel Team on 0131 561 5443 [Mon- Thu 0900-1700, Fri 0900-1530] or contact karl.vanters@midlothian.gov.uk” I have therefore copied this response to Mr Vanters for his information.

I hope you find one of the other park and ride facilities suitable for your use and that you have an enjoyable stay in the Edinburgh area.
If you have any queries about the content of this letter you may contact me on Tel: 0131 529 3583, Fax: 0131 529 6205, E-mail: richard.williams@edinburgh.gov.uk .

Yours sincerely,

Richard Williams, Principal Practitioner (Planning)
Edinburgh City Council City Development,

Business Centre G3, Waverley Court, Edinburgh.

SO - not very helpful.
Last saturday we turned up at Hermiston before 9 a.m - Height Barriers on entrance + exit ! , but no barrier between parking area and bus entrance/exit - so drove in like a bus !! Parked , went to the office -which was closed/unmanned. So we got on a bus and had an enjoyable day in the capital city - fantastic weather too. Returned to P+R and still no-one in office so drove out the same way .
Conclusions: If no-one to consult on site its worth the risk - Park and ride .
Anyone more news on other Edinburgh P+Rs ?

I thought this was about going in to Edinburgh, never used the park and ride as I park in an outlying street and go in on my bike.
Just wanted to say you can still park free and unrestricted on Sundays (if you get in early enough to get a space)
(I hope Edinburgh council doesn't get as greedy as Westminster who plan to start charging on Sundays as well.)

Wrong side of the forth

I know that youn are asking about park and ride from the Edinburgh side of the forth but if you are planning on going north of the forth river there is a park and ride ath Inverkeithing that has no hight restrictions and is easy to get to, just follow the sign posts and turn off the M90 just after comming over the bridge. There is a layby just before the turn off, which you can use if you want to have a break and take some photo's of the bridges.

Squibby.

I do not know the dimensions of your motor home, but if it is longer than a standard car parking space then you are likely to be penalised if you use an on-street parking space within the city centre.

A couple of weeks ago I parked in an on street parking space in Edinburgh, the length of the van encroaching on 2 spaces. I asked a traffic warden (who was lifting an parked car on double yellows lines on to a transporter) who told me it was ok as it was saturday evening/Sunday when its free to park. I asked if it was ok to display 2 tickets and occupy 2 bays at other times and he said he didn't know. But he said nobody checks the metered parking when its free. I was there all day Sunday no probs.

Last edited:
I'm a big believer in live and let live, however, those responsible vehicles should be impounded till clear up costs are paid in full, non payment, sell vehicles/caravans......

That could them homeless, and if they have kids the council legally obliged to rehouse them.

Couldn't believe my eyes last night, passing Sheriffhall P&R, massive traveling contingent sprawled all over the parking area, how on earth they got under the barriers, I have no idea, looks like more of our hard pressed council tax £££'s taken up through courts to have them evicted, I hope they don't leave same mess as they did the last time!!!

I am delighted to report that the 'massive traveling contingent' have been removed (or at least traveled on). How did they get under the height barriers? The didn't - they drove across the flowerbeds surrounding the park according to a local newspaper. If they were removed then that was QUICK. Not the usual amount of time involved at all.

This still does not address the real problem of MH owners wanting to park on south side of Edinburgh.

Cheers

IanM

Added Later - I did notice there was some rubbish left behind but did not seem a massive amount. Maybe the bulk had already been cleared.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back