Parish Council meeting advice

Vanterrier

My Parish Council recently had "concerns" sent to it by an agent of a landowner (Grenwich Hospital Estates) about wild camping at a picnic site on its land. I was encouraged that the PC decided to monitor the situation rather than slap restrictions on it.
I contacted the PC and pointed them to the CAMPRA website and in particular to articles in the Northumberland Gazette discussing the approach so far by the Northumberland county Council at three sites, Amble, Beadnel and Bamburgh.
I also offered to attend a future PC meeting to answer any queries the non-motorhoming members may have from the point of view of a responsible wild camper like myself and even to allow them to see my van to demonstrate its self contained capabilities.
I was actually surprised to not only get a reply but to be invited to a future PC meeting !
Right, so I have to put my money where my mouth is now... any advice or pointers from anyone on here that's done similar perhaps or from PC members on here?
The site being discussed by the way is a WC POI in the village of Haydon Bridge at the riverside picnic site, so if by any chance you are visiting the area in the next few weeks, please go the extra mile to leave any locals you meet with a positive experience of your stay.
Just to add, I am hoping this site might even get developed into an Aire, but that might be a bit ambitious.
Wish me luck. I will report back...
K ;)

Last edited:
I think, if it were me, that I would print off some copies of relevant resource documents (pdf) from the Campra website to distribute and refer to at the meeting.
Also use the contact form to ask Campra for some strategic tips. I am sure they will be delighted to help.

Well done and good luck.

Well done that man! (y):)

Here's an additional business plug:- anybody visiting Haydon Bridge go eat/drink at the General Havelock pub, the food is superb and very reasonable - and that's something I rarely - in fact never!!! - say about eating out 😋😋😋

People are often put off when they walk through the door of this pub as it looks like an old-fashioned, slightly aged/worn/scruffy pub, but appearances are definitely *very* deceptive. Husband and wife team run it, the husband is a first class chef/cook who would give any of the top chefs in the country a run for their money.

bit off-topic for overnighting but relevant for councils into general height restrictions and the like .... maybe point out that more and more people also use their motorhomes and campervans as "shopping" vehicles specifically because they DO contain toilet facilities, which are more and more harder to find as local authorities and businesses close them, especially with the current Covid situation.

First thank you Vanterrier for making the effort to enlighten the council. Last summer when visiting my daughter near Barrow in Furness we parked the motorhome at one of the many beach laybys on the coastal rd between Ulverston and Barrow. Almost before I had turned off the key I was approached at the drivers window by an "council official". She was very courteous and anxious to point out that the byelaws did not allow overnighting.
I told her that I was well aware of this and had noted the signage in place. She then asked if we were enjoying the visit to the area.
I replied yes. She was then bold enough to ask about our intentions overnight. I said that we were staying on a campsite near the zoo for one night and then on the green near my daughters house. The former was met with approval but not the latter. I refused to give the exact location but made it clear that it was with the land-owners permission.
Because I stayed calm and relaxed with her she started to get more chatty and said that she would like a motorhome etc. but that the influx of rubbish and toilet emptying in this area had lead to complaints. I asked her is she just believed the complaints or had actually seen hard evidence. She reluctantly said ...ah ...well.. no..
Still staying calm I extolled at length the virtues of the French Aires. She had never heard of them. However it sparked an interest and she promised to highlight these at a review meeting later in the week. We parted company in good spirits.

We stayed for a couple of hours to make lunch and have a walk on the beach. After the walk we availed ourselves of an ice cream at the famous Roys Ices van. Whilst sitting on a bench about 15yds from the motorhome (still parked in same spot) I saw the same lady taking the numberplate of the van. I called to her "can I help you?". She turned and recognised me (it was only a couple of hours ago so I would hope so) .... "ahh right I saw you earlier - have a nice day".
So it seems that these car parks were being checked every couple of hours (middle of the day) - tax payers money being well spent to enforce some crappy byelaw to suit the nimbys.
However I hope that lady goes back to her review meeting with a changed view on things and pass on the aires info. I try to be patient when having encounters like this and hope that people are enlightened.

First thank you Vanterrier for making the effort to enlighten the council. Last summer when visiting my daughter near Barrow in Furness we parked the motorhome at one of the many beach laybys on the coastal rd between Ulverston and Barrow. Almost before I had turned off the key I was approached at the drivers window by an "council official". She was very courteous and anxious to point out that the byelaws did not allow overnighting.
I told her that I was well aware of this and had noted the signage in place. She then asked if we were enjoying the visit to the area.
I replied yes. She was then bold enough to ask about our intentions overnight. I said that we were staying on a campsite near the zoo for one night and then on the green near my daughters house. The former was met with approval but not the latter. I refused to give the exact location but made it clear that it was with the land-owners permission.
Because I stayed calm and relaxed with her she started to get more chatty and said that she would like a motorhome etc. but that the influx of rubbish and toilet emptying in this area had lead to complaints. I asked her is she just believed the complaints or had actually seen hard evidence. She reluctantly said ...ah ...well.. no..
Still staying calm I extolled at length the virtues of the French Aires. She had never heard of them. However it sparked an interest and she promised to highlight these at a review meeting later in the week. We parted company in good spirits.

We stayed for a couple of hours to make lunch and have a walk on the beach. After the walk we availed ourselves of an ice cream at the famous Roys Ices van. Whilst sitting on a bench about 15yds from the motorhome (still parked in same spot) I saw the same lady taking the numberplate of the van. I called to her "can I help you?". She turned and recognised me (it was only a couple of hours ago so I would hope so) .... "ahh right I saw you earlier - have a nice day".
So it seems that these car parks were being checked every couple of hours (middle of the day) - tax payers money being well spent to enforce some crappy byelaw to suit the nimbys.
However I hope that lady goes back to her review meeting with a changed view on things and pass on the aires info. I try to be patient when having encounters like this and hope that people are enlightened.

Nice one. Its not exactly an area that is awash with tourists or motorhomes. As you will know, Cumbria despite the Lake District national park is one of the poorest counties in the country. You would think they would jump at the chance to attract motorhomes out of the park and to the coast. We had a month in the Lake District in September and October and ventured once or twice towards the coast (on the bike). I never saw many vans but most of it is tired and run down. Wilding in the Lake District National park area is now pretty much banned everywhere so you would think they are missing a trick on the coast. It needs people to visit so build it and they will come.

I attended such a meeting on Arran, and my advice would be, be prepared. Try to figure out what points will be put and prepare counter arguments. Try to keep calm if someone gets boisterous, mouthing off anecdotal evidence. Question the source and validity of that source. Most importantly be friendly and diplomatic, talk slowly and clearly, and listen carefully to what’s being said. That’s a great idea showing them your van, possibly let them know how long and how hard you have worked to be able to afford it. All the best.

I think, if it were me, that I would print off some copies of relevant resource documents (pdf) from the Campra website to distribute and refer to at the meeting.
Also use the contact form to ask Campra for some strategic tips. I am sure they will be delighted to help.

Well done and good luck.
Good advice, thanks, will do
K ;)

Here's an additional business plug:- anybody visiting Haydon Bridge go eat/drink at the General Havelock pub, the food is superb and very reasonable - and that's something I rarely - in fact never!!! - say about eating out 😋😋😋

People are often put off when they walk through the door of this pub as it looks like an old-fashioned, slightly aged/worn/scruffy pub, but appearances are definitely *very* deceptive. Husband and wife team run it, the husband is a first class chef/cook who would give any of the top chefs in the country a run for their money.
You know it so well ;)
And other pubs,chippy,pizza van on a Thursday, butchers shop, co-op, newsagent, chemist and pet shop are also available
Thanks
K ;)

Nice one. Its not exactly an area that is awash with tourists or motorhomes. As you will know, Cumbria despite the Lake District national park is one of the poorest counties in the country. You would think they would jump at the chance to attract motorhomes out of the park and to the coast. We had a month in the Lake District in September and October and ventured once or twice towards the coast (on the bike). I never saw many vans but most of it is tired and run down. Wilding in the Lake District National park area is now pretty much banned everywhere so you would think they are missing a trick on the coast. It needs people to visit so build it and they will come.
You are right Barryd, the coastal area of Cumbria needs a revival and they are definitely missing a trick. I am sure that there are a number of areas that are similarly neglected. There was effort to allow pop-up campsites on a number of farms in Cumbria - we did try a couple and were made welcome and they were pretty much similar to wild camping in that facilities were limited to a couple of chemical toilets. Pitchup app listed a lot of these.
What we need is sensible councils allowing the right to roam and supporting responsible wild camping. Happy if motorhomers making a mess are severely punished.
Go Vanterrier and Fisherman !

It's a pity she was not so well informed. There are 4 places you can stay free in and around Barrow and you can book them online: Barrow Motorhome parking.

Reactions: 2cv
It's a pity she was not so well informed. There are 4 places you can stay free in and around Barrow and you can book them online: Barrow Motorhome parking.
Thank you for this information - is this a recent development? She certainly did not crack a light about this so must have been unaware - the left hand not knowing what the right is doing ! These may be of great use to us personally when visiting family. Appreciated!

This is my neck of the woods, living on Walney, and although Barrow B.C. have set up the scheme referred to by DnK there is still no word on disposal sites or watering points. I've met quite a few folk this last spring/summer who have stayed overnight and couldn't credit that the shore is so empty. There is a lady in the council that I am in touch with via email and I have sent her the CAMPrA links for what is required with regards to waste disposal. As ever the area is split between two councils, Barrow Borough Council and South Lakeland who occupy different planets apparently ...

Cheers

H

Thank you for this information - is this a recent development? She certainly did not crack a light about this so must have been unaware - the left hand not knowing what the right is doing ! These may be of great use to us personally when visiting family. Appreciated!
It's been in place for all of this year so far as I know, a collaboration with Cumbria Tourism. The 2 spots on Walney have been tolerated for years. Its a real pity that all Councils and Tourism offices don't act proactive to try and solve some of the staycation problems!

Recommendation noted , will try it out next time I'm down that way .
One complaint (general moan) , clicked on website and end up on firkinfacebook .
Why do companies do this ? Pita

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back