Panel van conversion

German built quality - don't get me started lol. I bought a 6 month old Crafter with low miles which rotted away in front of my eyes. What a heap of junk. it was only used privately to go to motocross. The plastic rubbing panels vibrate and break the paint causing lot of rust and the rear doors rusted. I look after my motors and when I looked at other rusty German heaps (didn't make me feel better) I realised I was in the same boat. The turbo, alternator and prop shaft bearing carriers had to be replaced under warranty, The only way out, sort of, is to get a metallic one, at least the paint is more than a few microns thick. I spoke to a couple of guys with new Sprinter day vans and they had actually removed the rubbing strips, to be replaced at sale time. The only reason they appear to hold their value is the Main dealers are so greedy. The PSA group vans are way better in my humble opinion. I sold my Relay with over 100,000 miles on it and only had to replace the alternator which was gummed up with stour, probs from dusty mx paddocks. Bob
Sounds like the Crafter spent the first 6 months of its life pulling boats out the sea. :p

There is definitely no problem with moving from the cab area to hab area in a Sprinter with single passenger seat as that’s what I have, loads of room

If it comes with a sliding door, keep it, doesn't have to be used. Can even be used to access underseat
storage from the exterior. Not usually worthwhile to seal up permanently. Some PVC conversions use the rear
barn doors as the main access to the hab area, usually just using the leading leaf. Regular hab. access
solely through the front door can get tiresome, I know a few vans over the years have the front doors
blown out of a persons hands as they exit and the door has been buckled, and unless the front passenger
seats is a tilt type it can make it even more irksome, ok occasionally, I find.
On Merc. vans a 'solid' steel panel in lieu of the standard slider door used to be (may still be) a no cost option,
very strange.

Heh heh, maybe. But once you have a particular vehicle, you start paying attention to the same makes. Their build quality is average to poor. Then when I got my Relay noticed the build quality was good to very good. Just type in to Google 'do Sprinters rust?' - you'll be up reading all night. Do the same for say a Citroen Relay...………………………….! lol Bob

They all have their issues.

Transits used to have a real rust issue. Fortunately ford solved that by making them so easy to nick that nobody ever keeps hold of one long enough to comment on the level of rust.

Mercs were good up until late 90s ish, then they stopped being galvanized, so rust like crazy unless looked after.

Sevel vans have fairly thin wobbly panels

Vaux/Renault/nissan have terrible engines/gearboxes

They all have their horror stories, but I think as long as you give whichever van you like a good looking over and know the particular flaws of that vehicle that you need to be particularly aware of, you'll be okay....

I went for the make with the 'chocolate' gearbox. Never had any issues, but others have.

I have driven all makes of cars/vans in my life,only ones that gave no bother were real skodas and toyota vans,early ones did rust though.
All stuff made now is ment to be thrashed over a few years and then disposed of.

I bought my T5 nearly 8 years ago and if I sold it tomorrow I could probably get near what I paid for it. One of the reasons I chose to buy a VW and not a Citroën.

They all have their issues.

Transits used to have a real rust issue. Fortunately ford solved that by making them so easy to nick that nobody ever keeps hold of one long enough to comment on the level of rust.

Mercs were good up until late 90s ish, then they stopped being galvanized, so rust like crazy unless looked after.

Sevel vans have fairly thin wobbly panels

Vaux/Renault/nissan have terrible engines/gearboxes

They all have their horror stories, but I think as long as you give whichever van you like a good looking over and know the particular flaws of that vehicle that you need to be particularly aware of, you'll be okay....

I went for the make with the 'chocolate' gearbox. Never had any issues, but others have.

Mercedes commercials weren't 'galvanised' before the late 90s either I'm afraid, as many found to their
cost including me.

I bought my T5 nearly 8 years ago and if I sold it tomorrow I could probably get near what I paid for it. One of the reasons I chose to buy a VW and not a Citroën.

Ahhh but was it a brand new camper when you bought it 8 years ago?

Really? I've been trying to sell my T4 for well over a year now. I've had it 4 years and I'm trying to get 7K less than I paid for it. I've had one viewing in 13.5 months.

Really? I've been trying to sell my T4 for well over a year now. I've had it 4 years and I'm trying to get 7K less than I paid for it. I've had one viewing in 13.5 months.
Really yes. Looked after my van and upgraded and added to it to keep it looking smart. There’s a big demand for nice T5s.
B020F78A-A19A-4D6D-B65D-E07F12189266.jpeg

My mate bought a 2012 plate T5 last year with pop up roof for £22,500.
The guy he bought it from paid way more than that.
I don’t know to much about campers or his full spec.
but it’s a smart looking van large alloys, metallic Skye blue finish.
He had to fit a diesel heater for winter use.

Mercedes commercials weren't 'galvanised' before the late 90s either I'm afraid, as many found to their
cost including me.

Mercedes started to galvanise after 2003. I sold a C class which had done over 130,000 miles and mechanically in great condition, but was suffering from rust all over.

Helped a friend find and buy a T5 lwb earlier in the year and have a good idea of the price they can fetch. Good T4s can still fetch a good price.

Attachments

• 7DC372E8-A6F2-45E2-ADC4-9E6008817C3A.jpeg
    7DC372E8-A6F2-45E2-ADC4-9E6008817C3A.jpeg
    888.2 KB · Views: 91
Some t5 prices,matbe not worth as much as some folk think.
Loads of them here at auction but not many buy them,i always thought them ok.

Attachments

• vdub a.png
    vdub a.png
    47.6 KB · Views: 79
  • vdub b.png
    vdub b.png
    84.9 KB · Views: 82
  • vdub c.png
    vdub c.png
    86.8 KB · Views: 81
  • vdub d.png
    vdub d.png
    73.9 KB · Views: 94
  • vdub e.png
    vdub e.png
    76.9 KB · Views: 76
  • vdub f.png
    vdub f.png
    84.7 KB · Views: 76
  • vdub g.png
    vdub g.png
    83.3 KB · Views: 69

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back