Paint Advice

Asterix

Free Member
I've spent the day with wire wheels going over my steel rims as some of them had lot of rust,now it's time to get some paint so just wondering what peoples thoughts are. Not sure how well these bare metal paints work,should I do a red oxide coat first or any other advice welcome.
I've looked at Hammerite paints but they seem very pricey,any others worth a mention?
Cheers,Dave

I've spent the day with wire wheels going over my steel rims as some of them had lot of rust,now it's time to get some paint so just wondering what peoples thoughts are. Not sure how well these bare metal paints work,should I do a red oxide coat first or any other advice welcome.
I've looked at Hammerite paints but they seem very pricey,any others worth a mention?
Cheers,Dave
Hammerite paint is a good paint for bare metal without using any type of undercoat, they do both hammered finish and smooth.

I reckon Hammerite is "rite" for the job, but for steel wheels that were rusty, I'd give them a coating of Jenolite first

I've used Hammerite thinned with thinners and sprayed as a cheaper alternative to buying the aerosols, but you are right - to do 4 wheels (I wouldn't bother with the inner wheels at the back) could be expensive.
It is pretty resistant stuff though so will last a long time :)

Cheers,Dave
Shot blast first to get a good key,then a 10thu coat of 2 pack zink epoxy primer followed next day with 2 pack polyurathane,use juton clark or sigma if possable.
Use a gravity gun with a 1.5 w71/w77 2.5 nozel,these from china are very very good for the money with a side swivel cup,they are copy of anista iwata which are very expensive,same as i sprayed my van with.
1.5 spray gun.png
s gun 2.5 noz.png

Last edited:
I've used Hammerite thinned with thinners and sprayed as a cheaper alternative to buying the aerosols, but you are right - to do 4 wheels (I wouldn't bother with the inner wheels at the back) could be expensive.
It is pretty resistant stuff though so will last a long time :)
Called hammershite in the trade,you would get shot for even talking of it in industrial circles. 😂

luckily I don't travel in industrial circles ;)
His best place to get a small amount of two p primer would be a boat yard,half a little will do and small jam jar of hardener,mix base 4/1 and a drop of standard cello thinners,done many wheels/garden gates between some small jobs.
oil tank.jpg
;)

Shot blast first to get a good key,then a 10thu coat of 2 pack zink epoxy primer followed next day with 2 pack polyurathane,use juton clark or sigma if possable.
Use a gravity gun with a 1.5 w71/w77 2.5 nozel,these from china are very very good for the money with a side swivel cup,they are copy of anista iwata which are very expensive,same as i sprayed my van with. View attachment 80281View attachment 80282

Bloody hell Trev I'm not fettling a Rolls Royce,cheap is the byword here,you've just blown my budget on a sprayer 😅when a brush/roller is already in the kitty.

You seem to be refurbishing your your rims in situ with the tyres on and in that case you might as well paint with anything that you want barring emulsion paint as it's porous. Trevs solution is sound but when it comes to refitting the tyres to the rims the excellent paintwork maybe chipped, lve been looking at my rims for the last ten years wondering wether to refurbish or not which brings to mind it's just cosmetic.

Painted my bus with skip paint off eBay. Good coverage & reasonable finish for a brush job. Seems to be lasting well too...
Paint for skips is just a normal single pack chassis paint,ok for a elcheepo job,silly me thougt the big man wanted a good job but any thing will do if itsa quicky,irish word itsa. 😂

Bit like trousers/slacks jogging bottoms,they all cover your ar-e,same with paints dif names same thing,which reminds me it says St michale on my undies but you all know i am not he. :unsure: ;)

You seem to be refurbishing your your rims in situ with the tyres on and in that case you might as well paint with anything that you want barring emulsion paint as it's porous. Trevs solution is sound but when it comes to refitting the tyres to the rims the excellent paintwork maybe chipped, lve been looking at my rims for the last ten years wondering wether to refurbish or not which brings to mind it's just cosmetic.

Yes I'm leaving the tyres on so it's just a quick refurb to make it a bit tidier,it won't pass a concourse inspection.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back