P&O Ferry Prices

P&O have withdrawn the Hull to Zeebrugge ferry. Hull to Rotterdam is not so useful when going to Eastern France. When we are able to travel again not sure which way to go. Before anyone praises the tunnel, the journey to the SE of England is one I hate.
Yes Not good from some areas..but ok for us (Reading)

The trip to the chunnel is a bit dire from the SW England too, but as I really hate ferries and try to avoid at all cost, well it’s the least painful for me.

It’s a simple bit of maths and economics why they’re asking for lengths of MHs. Put simplistically imagine 800 MHs x 6m at £100 each = £80,000 revenue. In the same space they can take only 600 x 8m MHs and so to achieve the £80,000 they need to be £133.33 each.

Been using P&O Ferries for years now and they are our go to choice for crossing the channel (y)

Cheap and cheerful, we can put up with all the deadbeats onboard for the 90 minute crossing and we just keep ourselves to ourself.

I`ve always had to put the length and height in when booking so i don`t quite understand your post ?
so you go for "cheap n cheerful" despite the "deadbeats",,,can you explain "deadbeats"?

It doesn't seem strange to me as Brittany Ferries have been charging by length for as long as I can remember. A few years ago I was travelling as freight in a Sprinter. I was booked at the length of the vehicle, but they measured me at the port and charged extra for the towbar.
Similar with Brittany - last trip (Nov 19) tried to charge me for a bike because I had a bike rack (empty) on the back....folded up flat against the back (probably protruding beyond the bumper by all of 4"). Given the truck is 7.5m and I pay for the upto 8.0m band methinks someone's taking the mick!
Was good fun getting the tape measure out at the kiosk though 😂

Last edited:
always was slightly surprised the Eurotunnel simply has on category (motorhome0 and did not take into account length and/or weight when boooking/costing..
They seem to have invoked a simple structure for motorhomes under 3500kg.
But now put over 3500kg as commercial.
For us at under 3500kg and 6.5 metres it will make little difference.
As with airline tickets the day makes a difference.
With the shuttle anti-social times have always been cheaper.
We look for a cheaper times but to quote another member
"We do not do STUPID o'Clock". We know of several good places within 1 hour of Calais.
In Uk it is usually Canterbury..which of late (Covid excepted ?) will not be full as there is a huge overflow area..maybe room for 100 but often less than 10

The word is that the overflow area at the New Dover Road, Canterbury P&R is going to be converted to Electric Charging Points for cars given the increasing and growing number of them now on the roads, no mention of what will happen re :- motorhomes.

We haven`t been now for over 12 months so i haven`t been able to speak to anyone down there

The word is that the overflow area at the New Dover Road, Canterbury P&R is going to be converted to Electric Charging Points for cars given the increasing and growing number of them now on the roads, no mention of what will happen re :- motorhomes.

We haven`t been now for over 12 months so i haven`t been able to speak to anyone down there
Thanks,
It is a huge area ...If it all goes over to Electric car charging there might/will need to be a significant upgrade to the power infrastructure.
Not opposing the idea but.....

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back