P&O Ferry Prices

QFour

I have no complaints at all about P & O Ferries. I have always had good service and when I have arrived early they have always put us on the next available crossing. We were not able to travel on 30th August this year and I emailed them well in advance. No problem and a credit for future travel which I am about to book for 30th August 2021.

I have been having a look at the sailing times and P&O have changed their website. I suppose it was something to do during lockdown and I noticed something strange that I have never seen before. Normally you just book a MH place and thats it. Not anymore you now have to enter your length so I put in 6.4m and got £93.75 for the crossing with two adults. I wondered what would happen if I put in the length of the Laika we had. So I changed the box and entered a value of 7.5m and 3m high.That came out at £108.75. Out of curiosity I put in 8.1m 3m high and got £123.75 so it now looks like ..

Upto 7m is £93.75 .. 7.01m and every meter after that is another £15 per meter. I thought about this and I can see their logic. Thousands of new MH owners now and what are they going to want to do next year go away and tour France, Germany, Spain and everywhere else.

If P&O are doing it you can bet that all the others will have similar plans or will be revising their plans.

It doesn't seem strange to me as Brittany Ferries have been charging by length for as long as I can remember. A few years ago I was travelling as freight in a Sprinter. I was booked at the length of the vehicle, but they measured me at the port and charged extra for the towbar.

Been using P&O Ferries for years now and they are our go to choice for crossing the channel (y)

Cheap and cheerful, we can put up with all the deadbeats onboard for the 90 minute crossing and we just keep ourselves to ourself.

I`ve always had to put the length and height in when booking so i don`t quite understand your post ?

DFDS charge for up to 7m and next bracket is up to 10m

Don't forget that if you have a box or rack on the back this is part of the overall length.

Irish ferries charge by height and don't ask for length, on motorhomes, don't know about other vehicles.

Davy

I've always had to put size of vehicle. I've used comparison sites as well as own sites

DFDS charge for up to 7m and next bracket is up to 10m
Yes, I'm 7.4 m long and last time I phoned (to get my OAP 20% of) to book my Newhaven Dieppe crossing the french lady said, oh don't worry about that, I'll put your MoHo in the up to 7m booking, So I did!

Been using P&O Ferries for years now and they are our go to choice for crossing the channel (y)

Cheap and cheerful, we can put up with all the deadbeats onboard for the 90 minute crossing and we just keep ourselves to ourself.

I`ve always had to put the length and height in when booking so i don`t quite understand your post ?

Were there different prices depending on size. Perhaps it's just me going stir crazy ....

Were there different prices depending on size. Perhaps it's just me going stir crazy ....
It's been a while, but if I remember correctly, some sites asked for size, others you selected within a range of lengths. I usually check prices on aferry, direct ferries and operators page and the two compare sites always had a different format to operator sites.

Yes. i`m pretty sure there was but to be honest because i`m 7.5m length and 3.0m height that is what i`ve always put in.

Interesting
Eurotunnel used NOT to worry about lenght (under 3500kg0
Now the do !
1605936985515.png

ALSO if Over 3500kg a different web-page and it seems more costly !!!

1605937131987.png

We prefer the tunnel especially with Tesco vouchers !
I also THINK it is safer re Covid-19

Yep . onlly time we used P&O..got very P O ed as they directed us up a ramp..No problem but not good.
the tunnel is so much nicer/easier. ok it might cost a bit more. BUT just pay from the
Tax/Service/insurance/tyres sub-account.
OR........we save so much by using aires etc a simple trade-off (if you prefer).
Yes some like the ferry and if you are aiming for Brittany or the like the longer ferries save on mileage and time !
We would still go via the tunnel even with the 90 day limit...just drive an extra hour !

I tend to use newhaven under 30 mls from me and the road is normally fairly quick unlike the M25 which can be a nightmare at times and probably will get worse in the new year but no-one knows yet

P&O have withdrawn the Hull to Zeebrugge ferry. Hull to Rotterdam is not so useful when going to Eastern France. When we are able to travel again not sure which way to go. Before anyone praises the tunnel, the journey to the SE of England is one I hate.

We have been moho owners travelling to EU since 2014. We have always had to imput length

Yep . onlly time we used P&O..got very P O ed as they directed us up a ramp..No problem but not good.
the tunnel is so much nicer/easier. ok it might cost a bit more. BUT just pay from the
Tax/Service/insurance/tyres sub-account.
OR........we save so much by using aires etc a simple trade-off (if you prefer).
Yes some like the ferry and if you are aiming for Brittany or the like the longer ferries save on mileage and time !
We would still go via the tunnel even with the 90 day limit...just drive an extra hour !
I do the ferry, any of the channel routes, but only when the train is a lot more money. Usually do a late evening crossing, lovely nap on train and I'm good to get half of France done when the roads are quiet. The toll free or less frequent tolls routes work very well at night time.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back