Outer Hebrides

For places to stay, maybe start here as a guide. Obviously plenty more on the location app on here as well.

We went on at Barra and traveled north over about three weeks.

If you can, save up your pennies and take a day trip to St Kilda. I was told by our skipper,Angus, that fewer people are landed on St Kilda in a year than visit Machu Pichu in a month. A full day 8 till 8 from Leverburgh with parking, water and a loo tip off at the pier.

Cal Mac Hopscotch ticket for the ferries. I think there’s a guide published by some island community organisation which gives guidance for acceptable overnighting places. Riof beach in the north is an absolute must in my opinion.

Cheers

H

Hopscotch ticket’s no longer available. You have to do each route separately. Depending on your route and the length of your van it’s quite easy to book. We’re are all booked up for July…

I

We went on at Barra and traveled north over about three weeks.

If you can, save up your pennies and take a day trip to St Kilda. I was told by our skipper,Angus, that fewer people are landed on St Kilda in a year than visit Machu Pichu in a month. A full day 8 till 8 from Leverburgh with parking, water and a loo tip off at the pier.

Cal Mac Hopscotch ticket for the ferries. I think there’s a guide published by some island community organisation which gives guidance for acceptable overnighting places. Riof beach in the north is an absolute must in my opinion.

Cheers

H

When we did the Hebs, on my to do list was the trip over to St Kilda, unfortunately weather and time was against us.

The HMY IOLAIR memorial just of Stornoway is a must, such a tragic event that decimated a generation of male islanders returning from WW1 trenches.

Reactions: Alf
Good Morning.
Thank you for your replies.
Will now have to raid Marjorie’s piggy bank and see how much shes got 😂 really fancy a trip over to Kilda.
Once again many thanks for your replies 👍
Happy travels
Ken

When we did the Hebs, on my to do list was the trip over to St Kilda, unfortunately weather and time was against us.

The HMY IOLAIR memorial just of Stornoway is a must, such a tragic event that decimated a generation of male islanders returning from WW1 trenches.
I was reading about that just a couple of days ago. All the events that unfolded were witnessed by family and friends from the shore. Bloody nightmare.

Cheers

H

I was reading about that just a couple of days ago. All the events that unfolded were witnessed by family and friends from the shore. Bloody nightmare.

Cheers

H

Yes very tragic, and the admiralty at that time tried to cover up the tragedy. They never the exact loss of life due to the chaos at Kyle of Lochalsh.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back