Outer Hebrides Facilities

Cambia

Hi
Spending a couple of weeks in Lewis, Harris, Barra and Uists and wonder if anyone can help regarding where to empty chemical waste, grey waste and fill up with water etc. Happy to wild camp but don't want to behave irresponsibly! thank you.

Try the local fishing harbours usually toilets and water there or ferry ports I've started to plan my trips around suitable harbours some have showers as well.

The Cal Mac piers have waste disposal, water etc. There are also campsites scattered about the islands where you can spend the odd night and use the facilities. Some of the sites are community run as irresponsible wilding has caused the locals to be less welcoming than they used to be.

Kneep

This little site is worth staying on for a night or two.

It belongs to the local grazing trust and they charge only a small fee for the upkeep of the facilities. I remember walking alone on the beach at four p.m. on a mayday bank holiday. Brilliant spot.

Google Maps

There is a shop here for supplies and even Calor gas if need be.

This site is brand new

Cheers

H

Last edited:
This little site is worth staying on for a night or two.

It belongs to the local grazing trust and they charge only a small fee for the upkeep of the facilities. I remember walking alone on the beach at four p.m. on a mayday bank holiday. Brilliant spot.

Google Maps

There is a shop here for supplies and even Calor gas if need be.

This site is brand new

Cheers

H

Another good post cheers Winks. 👍

Only know of one emptying point on Lewis. Out past the airport heading for Point just before the Braighe. Car park with portable toilets, emptying point is behind said toilets. Please don't use any other beach toilets as they are all on septic tanks and over the year's some ave had to be closed due to misuse!!
Emptying point at Eilongarry, but limited spots to wild camp, better paying some money to some of the crofters who mostly have all facilities on site now
Emptying point and water and shower on Eriskey at ferry terminal.
Fiona

Only know of one emptying point on Lewis. Out past the airport heading for Point just before the Braighe. Car park with portable toilets, emptying point is behind said toilets. Please don't use any other beach toilets as they are all on septic tanks and over the year's some ave had to be closed due to misuse!!
Emptying point at Eilongarry, but limited spots to wild camp, better paying some money to some of the crofters who mostly have all facilities on site now
Emptying point and water and shower on Eriskey at ferry terminal.
Fiona
Thank you for your post Fiona will make a note of information, this is the first time for us on the islands just hoping we have enough time to make it over to the Uists.
We don't use chemicals in our loo and still won't us public toilets to dispose of waste official points only, this is just personal choice.
It's a shame that some people do and don't think of the impact of their action.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back