Our 1st Adventure (West Coast Scotland)

Welsh will

Free Member
Well finally got the van near enough finished. Our 1st wild Camping adventure took us up the coast road on Scotland's West coast.
I think the weather helped but to think this is our 1st Adventure it's going to take a lot to beat!
Set off on last Bank holiday weekend in May and was planning on stopping up in Lakes but knowing it be rammed & also champions league final on we ended up stopping over in Ingleton in Yorkshire. Stayed overnight in central car park which was £5 for overnight stay, toilets also available here.
From here we headed over the border & towards the coast stopping in a lovely village called Kirkcudbright. Stopped by the Harbour where picnic benches were available for a nice beer watching the Sun go down. Got a shower in a local gym the next day for £3.50 (1 hour gym charge)
Then headed up the A77 via Electric Brae which is bit of a optical illusion giving you the impression your van is rolling up a hill whilst it's in neutral. This night we stopped just outside Greenock at a small car park on a beach just off A770 called Lunderston Bay...this was our 1st introduction to the Scottish midges!!
After a great night sleep we headed upto Oban via Loch Lomond. Actually saw a fair few layby's here with no signs and vans parked up that looked like good overnight stops. Got to Oban & qued with the rest of the people that hadn't booked for the ferry over to Mull! (Seemed to be more of us that hadn't booked than actual people that had) within an hour we were aboard & on our way.
Our 1st night on the lovely Isle of Mull we spent in a lovely little bay called Loch Buie. Was amazing to be honest, tranquil & close to the waters edge. Got a fire going here to disperse the midges & ended up toasting marshmellows....was Brilliant. Here there is a small shed type building which is called the old post office, sells most things you will need to survive in your van food wise with just an honesty box to pay.
Then headed to the lovely fishing village Tobermory for a shower in the Harbour building...£2 for 7 mins.
This night we stayed in the lovely Calgary Bay beach...the 1st car park that takes £10 donation was busy mainly with big vans/motorhomes. We got a good spot in the smaller car park further on that does have width restrictions so mainly just full of smaller vans or cars for tent camping. No charge here with toilets available. This beach was just amazing, like something out of a film with its white sand. Took my 1st swim of year Here, cold but crystal clear waters.
Then carried on round Mull heading to Fishnish port to get ferry over to Lochaine as our time on Mull had come to an end.
Then headed up to Ardnomurchan point, most westerly point on mainland Britian. Overnight stays here are few & far between, our 1st experience where the locals put signs up to stop you parking anywhere!
Ended up in a lovely layby just by Loch Mudle where we saw some stag & 2 eagle sightings just whilst we cooked tea! This was an amazing sight.
Then we headed off to Fort William, not realising the World Moutain bike championship was being held that weekend. Plenty of Campervan/motorhomes parking here just not Overnight! Got a shower here at the railway station for £3.50 with clean towel! Then found some parking outside a motor factors on an industrial estate approx 10mins walk from the town. Owner of motor factors very friendly & as I had asked said there be no problem & he would keep an eye on van.
Wetherspoons for Breakfast next day then headed back to Edinburgh where we managed to park up in a quiet side street approx 10 mins bus ride from Royal Mile.
All in all we only paid for showers & parking in Ingleton. We thoroughly enjoyed our 1st Adventure in our van meeting so many lovely people & seeing so many sights/views of Scotland you just wouldn't get on a normal holiday, so much so... my wife even mentioned doing it full time!
For now we just planning our next trip next month down to
visit family in Eastbourne but we going down via Lincoln/Cambridge area for a nosey on our way.
Sorry to drag it all on but for me , my first adventure in my van wild camping felt as though I was living the dream!

Attachments

• 20180527_151438.jpg
    20180527_151438.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 160
  • 20180528_095240.jpg
    20180528_095240.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 168
  • 20180529_194351.jpg
    20180529_194351.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 169
  • 20180529_224406.jpg
    20180529_224406.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 169
  • 20180530_112253.jpg
    20180530_112253.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 164
  • 1527773801565.jpg
    1527773801565.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 167
  • 20180601_084104.jpg
    20180601_084104.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 170
Thanks for the write up and pictures. Glad the first trip went so well.

I’m So glad your first trip was a success for you, & a Fantastic account Well done, enjoyed the read.
Now the bench mark has been set for you & good luck trying to top that !.

Great write up and pics and glad you had a good time there, we have t done any islands up there yet but still loads of places we want to go and many to revisit. You could constantly tour Scotland I think, or at least I could as I am not keen on hot weather 👍

The western side gets even better the furthe North you go with truly breathtaking scenery.

The only problem at this time of year is the killer midges!

YouTube

i bought the best value, best cotton, white Tee-shirt from the honesty-shop at loch buie - it is a lovely lovely spot.

Love Scotland. Try to get out to the Hebrides, with the white sands, clear blue sea and sunny weather you could easily fool yourself into thinking you were on a tropical beach somewhere. :wave:

Thanks for your comments everyone, was lots more to tell of spots we stopped in between travelling but I thought it be a bit overwhelming. Was very impressed with Scotland and will deffinatly be returning to places we didn't visit this time including the various islands.
Thanks again and just love Vanlife

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back