Ou est ma fenetre

iampatman

Driving today from Bray-Sur-Seine to Marcoing and stopped for a coffee and sandwich after an hour or so. Phil goes for a pee and announces that we no longer have a roof light in the smallest room! We didn’t hear it break off and nobody passed me honking their horn and waving their fist so I’m assuming we haven’t caused carnage in La Belle France.
Scrambled onto roof through big roof light and an hour later, half a roll of gaffer tape and an Intermarche bag for life and I think we’re waterproof. Mind it’s just started thundering in the distance so we might have my handiwork tested shortly.
The window was closed when we set off this morning but the locking catches have been a bit “tired” for a while. I’m enclosing a couple of photos of the identical window which we have above the bed and hope somebody can identify it, the internal measurements are 37cm X 37cm so I’m assuming it’s a 40cm square jobby. I’m thinking also that I might replace it with a 40cm Seitz mini Heiki which seems a better bit of kit altogether. Anyone replaced a roof light? Difficult job?
What with that and the potentially faulty diode in the solar panel it looks like I’ll be spending some time (and money) on the roof when we get back home on Friday.
B60860F2-C695-4529-92C0-4ED4C113F49D.jpg
1224C003-0B22-4D61-804F-61F36F2346ED.jpg

Pat

Driving today from Bray-Sur-Seine to Marcoing and stopped for a coffee and sandwich after an hour or so. Phil goes for a pee and announces that we no longer have a roof light in the smallest room! We didn’t hear it break off and nobody passed me honking their horn and waving their fist so I’m assuming we haven’t caused carnage in La Belle France.
Scrambled onto roof through big roof light and an hour later, half a roll of gaffer tape and an Intermarche bag for life and I think we’re waterproof. Mind it’s just started thundering in the distance so we might have my handiwork tested shortly.
The window was closed when we set off this morning but the locking catches have been a bit “tired” for a while. I’m enclosing a couple of photos of the identical window which we have above the bed and hope somebody can identify it, the internal measurements are 37cm X 37cm so I’m assuming it’s a 40cm square jobby. I’m thinking also that I might replace it with a 40cm Seitz mini Heiki which seems a better bit of kit altogether. Anyone replaced a roof light? Difficult job?
What with that and the potentially faulty diode in the solar panel it looks like I’ll be spending some time (and money) on the roof when we get back home on Friday.
View attachment 64130
View attachment 64131

Pat

Never had a 40cm square jobby .
Hopefully I never do

View attachment 64130
View attachment 64131

Well you can,t beat a nice flow of fresh air after eating all that French food i amt always being told after the Spanish food you dirty sod open your window :raofl::raofl:

very straightforward job, it will be a 40x40 , just have plenty of non setting mastic handy and white spirit to clean up . you get loads more light through a mini heki .
when you put those little spring clips on , they go on the thicker bits of plastic [makes sense when you're doing it] and normal 4mm woodscrews will do if the ones supplied aren't long enough

very straightforward job, it will be a 40x40 , just have plenty of non setting mastic handy and white spirit to clean up . you get loads more light through a mini heki .
when you put those little spring clips on , they go on the thicker bits of plastic [makes sense when you're doing it] and normal 4mm woodscrews will do if the ones supplied aren't long enough

So can you (one) get different sizes of heiki vents Nigel? I'd like one on my van!

The roof light over our bed has cracked on the outer pane, ours are Remi but looking at the link to Jacksons for the Heiki they are a fair bit cheaper, can almost get a complete unit for the cost of just the Remi dome. May be time to change

The roof light over our bed has cracked on the outer pane, ours are Remi but looking at the link to Jacksons for the Heiki they are a fair bit cheaper, can almost get a complete unit for the cost of just the Remi dome. May be time to change

If the replacement Heiki is as easy to fit as Nigel suggests then I’ll replace the one above our bed also. Although nobody has confirmed it yet from the pics I posted I think it’s a Remi and I’m not impressed with them. The blind keeps coming out of its channel and the locking/opening mechanism is a pretty poor design.

Pat

just take note thatall these windows and rooflights are designed to be fitted to perfectly flat surfaces , so the curvature of the roof can be problematic and involve packing up which can increase the chance of leaks

Nigel just done my big one so he knows what he talking about he has not lost his marbles yet and as it was recently he shouldn't have forgotten

ps no leaks nigel

If the replacement Heiki is as easy to fit as Nigel suggests then I’ll replace the one above our bed also. Although nobody has confirmed it yet from the pics I posted I think it’s a Remi and I’m not impressed with them. The blind keeps coming out of its channel and the locking/opening mechanism is a pretty poor design.

Pat

Yours doesn't look like the 400 x 400 Remis we have over bed and in bathroom but I am not overly impressed with ours. Our big Heiki is different to any I have seen on net yet, i has a winding handle or individual manual release on each side. Quite versatile

as i said before , the mini heki lets in loads more light than the mpk, and opens up better. also, fwiw, i dropped one off a sprinter roof and it landed on a concrete path -not a mark

thinking about security could you not sika flex hasp and staple to the inside and put on padlock

To answer your original question, Pat.

Ou est ma fenétre?

Elle est avec la plume de ma tante !

Vraiment.

Bonne chance, mon brave.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back