other alternative needed

rockape

In light of the encroaching Coronavirus, it looks like I may have to postpone my trip to the Baltic and northern Poland. don't really want to cross the Channel now, as much as I would love to. Just being cautious. Scotland seems like a plan now unless its all over in 5 weeks.

Any other suggestions, don't wont the south west as we have done it to death.
Ideas please.

We have booked to go on the tunnel in my brothers van over Easter, to visit family in Germany only, we hope also to only bring back some German food stuffs and no virus. :/ .
I believe Germany has had more cases of the virus than UK.

Uk is not good but France Germany Spain similar or worse.

We are pondering
1 Where to go in UK..Scotland but as Terry posts
2 Abroad..I do not think so
3 Stay at home !

It may be that travel restrictions will come in maybe 1 month..almost likely in 2 months !

So self-isolated in Calais ???

Never mind Mr J is in control ?

In light of the encroaching Coronavirus, it looks like I may have to postpone my trip to the Baltic and northern Poland. don't really want to cross the Channel now, as much as I would love to. Just being cautious. Scotland seems like a plan now unless its all over in 5 weeks.

Any other suggestions, don't wont the south west as we have done it to death.
Ideas please.

Rockape, Scotland offers so much I could not do it justice here.
But if you fancy the west coast towards Skye it’s better before midge season which normally starts late may early June. The east coast is almost midge free all year round. You can look at the online map here it’s excellent, but you will find spots not mentioned on the maps. A good place to spend a night to empty the cassette and refill the water tank is the caravan and Motorhome club site in morvich. At £22 a night it’s good value and the location alongside the 5 sisters of kintail is stunning.

Be warned though that it gets busy up here, and it’s always good to have a plan b.

Wotcha Mike.

I would head for Scotlands' west coast. We are heading up there in a few weeks before it gets too busy. We normally go January or February but have been delayed this year by funerals!

Loads of options up there for wildcamping as I'm sure you know, we usually start in the Cairngorms, then over to the west coast and up to Applecross, then Glen Coe before heading back via a stop in the lake district or North Yorkshire.

Have a good one mate.

We like Fife, especially Elie and Ansthruther. We avoid the midges.

Mrs Qfour

Plenty of room and isolation up here in Bonnie Scotland. Why not try the north east and Moray coast the it’s normally better weather than the west. It’s gets overlooked with the hoards of tourists.

I'm thinking of trying the east coast this summer Cal.

I will probably PM you nearer the time to get some recommendations if that's ok unless I see you at a meet in the meantime.

I would have thought that in a motorhome when touring Europe you are pretty much self isolated and out of harms way. The only consideration might be food shopping and avoiding crowded areas but this is surely the same wherever you are. Unlike plane travel, I doubt that ferry travel will be affected.

If you are concerned about ferry travel take the shortest route, wear gloves, take your own food and drink onboard, and avoid anybody who looks remotely ill.

And remember the French are statistically the worst hand washers in Europe!

Bearing this in mind in 35 years of visiting France for extended periods we have never fallen ill as a result of fresh food purchased from a French market or supermarket.

Now when after eating cooked seafood at a French restaurant that is a different story!

Last edited:
i've heard Slough can be rather lovely this time of year , and they don't call Reading the Venice of the south

Wotcha Mike.

I would head for Scotlands' west coast. We are heading up there in a few weeks before it gets too busy. We normally go January or February but have been delayed this year by funerals!

Loads of options up there for wildcamping as I'm sure you know, we usually start in the Cairngorms, then over to the west coast and up to Applecross, then Glen Coe before heading back via a stop in the lake district or North Yorkshire.

Have a good one mate.
Glad your back on the scene.

Getting a bit jittery now about leaving next Sunday for two weeks away.
Only concern is knee jerk Govt introducing lockdowns.

I'd say the biggest risk is on the ferry if you use tunnel you can avoid others by staying in vanfor45 minutes.
Otherwise travelling round independently should be a good way of avoiding contact.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back