Options for France and Spain without the campervan?

rabW

I always enjoy reading the touring posts, and visited some lovely places over the years but sadly we've had to sell the van as I had to return my driving licence after two recent brain seizures.
Lots to take in, Val just has auto licence, I might be OK to drive again after a year on anti seizure meds but it's a bit risky now as she'd be stuck over there with our dog if I had another episode.
But new horizons maybe, thinking perhaps campsite rentals might suit us in low season, they seem plentiful on some sites - has anyone used these (like gites, fixed tents, apartments?).
Just need a bigger car for Val now, it's amazing what came out of the van when I was getting it ready to sell. Love to hear any other suggestions for touring the continent with our dog (mrsW doesn't do camping)?? I am allowed to cycle, still able to get out on the bike which is a blessing.
A big thank you to everyone who's worked on the locations and poi app. Loved some of the debates here too, especially back in the Wintonian era!
Rab

I always enjoy reading the touring posts, and visited some lovely places over the years but sadly we've had to sell the van as I had to return my driving licence after two recent brain seizures.
Lots to take in, Val just has auto licence, I might be OK to drive again after a year on anti seizure meds but it's a bit risky now as she'd be stuck over there with our dog if I had another episode.
But new horizons maybe, thinking perhaps campsite rentals might suit us in low season, they seem plentiful on some sites - has anyone used these (like gites, fixed tents, apartments?).
Just need a bigger car for Val now, it's amazing what came out of the van when I was getting it ready to sell. Love to hear any other suggestions for touring the continent with our dog (mrsW doesn't do camping)?? I am allowed to cycle, still able to get out on the bike which is a blessing.
A big thank you to everyone who's worked on the locations and poi app. Loved some of the debates here too, especially back in the Wintonian era!
Rab
Lots of nice Villas in Spain. Drove down twice to Costa Blanca and rented one with a pool.
Also road trip to Italy and stayed at a Eurocamps (in a Static) next to Lake Como which I liked. 5 days at site with 2 days through France and Switzerland, and 2 days back through Austria, Germany and Belgium. 4000 miles in 10 days was a fair old trip (more than I do in a year now!)

Definitely go back to Italy and Austria. Best bit about France was the road out of it ;)

What we done prior to getting the Van was used Motels in France like Campanile but you'll have to look into the dog side of it

Start looking now. Some incredible off season deals. A few years ago we stayed 4 weeks in a 5* apartment in Calpe and it was cheaper than the MoHo.

but it's a bit risky now as she'd be stuck over there with our dog if I had another episode.

Not necessarily, when SWMBO was hospitalised in Spain the insurance said they would get me home immediately and get her home later, or I could stay in a Hotel and we could come home together when she was discharged. (I stayed).

My problem is our dog Roxy she only eats Harringtons wet food and I know that you’re not allowed to take food over to Europe but if you were I would have to take 15 boxes of Harringtons food for a 10 week winter trip and there’s no way you could keep all that dog food refrigerated, so it’s a no no.
IMG_1012.png

John.

Our Jessie would only eat burns lamb and brown rice ! The first year we took all her food with us ! But then on looking on Amazon . De and Amazon. Fr we found we could order it online for delivery at a local post office .
Check it out as it’s a shame not to travel when there food is available but more expensive ,
We have since found it at very large garden centres with pet stores , funny how you learn all the tricks and then lose the dog 😭

Roxy is beautiful ❤️

Start looking now. Some incredible off season deals. A few years ago we stayed 4 weeks in a 5* apartment in Calpe and it was cheaper than the MoHo.

Not necessarily, when SWMBO was hospitalised in Spain the insurance said they would get me home immediately and get her home later, or I could stay in a Hotel and we could come home together when she was discharged. (I stayed).
Would cost a lot in insurance with pre-existing condition. Until stable it might be an option to use ghic card and have a "large" fund for emergency accommodation for wife and dog? Been in same situation with Dave not driving until stable. No dog now though :cry:

Off season deals can be ridiculous prices

Would cost a lot in insurance with pre-existing condition. Until stable it might be an option to use ghic card and have a "large" fund for emergency accommodation for wife and dog? Been in same situation with Dave not driving until stable. No dog now though :cry:

Off season deals can be ridiculous prices
Tell me about it !

Annual world wide insurance for me is £1800. (lots of pre existing conditions including Heart attack and Diabetes)
But it is only money.

My claim for staying in Spain for 10 days and then getting back to UK was more than that.

We're actually planning a trip to southern spain for next month, Alhambra, Cordoba, Seville, Granada, Ronda etc, dont intend to stay long maybe a week or 10 days. By the time you've factored in
Ferry crossings, fuel, road tolls etc it actually works out considerably cheaper to fly, hotel(s) and rent a car.
There's always more than 1 way to skin a cat.

I know you said France but in the early spring I fly and bus ( my van is not suitable for cold) and have done Southern Spain, Croatia, Morocco and the Canary Islands. NOT all at the same time. The trains and buses are cheaper than UK and I have found plenty of reasonable hotels. I normally choose cheap end and hostels but you don't need to. I like being on the move and couldn't stay 3-4 weeks in one place.
My yearly 90 day Insurance is cheaper when only in Europe, ( as opposed to world wide) my insurance includes Greece and Morocco in that.
You can still wander without a van or driving. Good luck.

My problem is our dog Roxy she only eats Harringtons wet food and I know that you’re not allowed to take food over to Europe but if you were I would have to take 15 boxes of Harringtons food for a 10 week winter trip and there’s no way you could keep all that dog food refrigerated, so it’s a no no.
View attachment 128921

John.
I'd forgotten how easy to pack the glory hole with Bella's food, harrington's for her too. Room for some wine in there on the way back!

Rab
GWS

So we are taking 1 grandson to germany/Italy for 8 weeks in motorhome then coming back to uk and taking 2 more grandchildren to Brittany in the car and staying in a lodge of some description for 10 days. Sally is sorting it to try going without the motorhome...though taking the dog both times..
we did look at Ireland but the ferry crossing is outrageously priced.
France is so much cheaper than the UK for lodge/caravan/hotel type of stays even factoring the ferry.

Tell me about it !

Annual world wide insurance for me is £1800. (lots of pre existing conditions including Heart attack and Diabetes)
But it is only money.

My claim for staying in Spain for 10 days and then getting back to UK was more than that.
just had a look at this https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/pre-existing-travel-insurance/ Comments from some say they saved lots of money .....going to check it out for Dave!

You are right, it is just money and can't take it with you.....

Rab
I have only ever had a license for automatic except for motorbikes. I took my car test in an auto back in the 70's. I had never bothered with a car license until I had an accident that meant I couldn't drive a manual car without hand controls. Back then insurance really loaded you up for that sort of modification so automatic was best route. It still meant I payed 2 groups plus 25% more than a normal driver but he ho.

Anyway, reason for me posting was to point out you can get an automatic van for the wife to drive

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back