One for the security minded ............

Val54

Our French neighbours have an interesting add on which I doubt was a factory option.............

An external metal bar prevents the windows from being prised open, there is a handle mechanism inside which allows the bar to be raised or lowered, in the pic, the large lounge window is locked, the kitchen window is in the open position ............ quite noisy when the bar lifts up and down 😃

IMG_0174.jpeg

Looks like a fairly useful addition to me.
I think what the naysayers seem to always forget is the visual and simple deterrents work for 99% of those people who are opportunistic thieves. The ones that don't carry around jigsaws and bolt-cutters and what have you.
And for the 1% that do, it is doubtful that any security additions you are likely to add will make any difference (and that is why you have insurance).

(I demo'ed my security system to The Laird yesterday ;) think he liked it :) )

There are various forms of security, preventative, responsive, physical, visual, audable, and communication. This type as Wildebus states is preventative, visual, and physical.
There are also varying opinions on security, I used to get asked if I fit an alarm system, does this not signal that I have stuff worth stealing. :(
Anything you can do to deter a thief is worth considering, but windows and doors are weak points, no matter how well protected. Some people think that double glazing is more secure than single, well not always. It depends on how the sealed units have been installed. If they are fitted with external beading they are less secure than single glazing.
As for this contraption, I reckon they may well have already been broken into and due to this they are possibly overdoing things. A plastic window no matter how well protected is just a plastic window. Also if they are broken into there will be much more damage done by the there than if this had not been fitted, as Mistericeman stated.
Bottom line due to their contraction securing a motorhome physically is difficult, hence why alarms, and trackers are the most important measures.

Last edited:
There are various forms of security, preventative, responsive, physical, visual, audable, and communication. This type as Wildebus states is preventative, visual, and physical.
There are also varying opinions on security, I used to get asked if I fit an alarm system, does this not signal that I have stuff worth stealing. :(
Anything you can do to deter a thief is worth considering, but windows and doors are weak points, no matter how well protected. Some people think that double glazing is more secure than single, well not always. It depends on how the sealed units have been installed. If they are fitted with external beading they are less secure than single glazing.
I remember buying a brand new apartment in 1995, fitted with UPVC windows and window catches with locks.
Lost my keys on time so I borrowed a ladder off my neighbours and a claw hammer. Went up ladder and putting the hammer between window and frame, levered and opened the window in around 10 seconds. The screws for the locks just pulled out the frame and the catches dropped off!
Once in, just screwed the catches back, using the same screws into the same position and into the same holes. Didn't even have to think about removing panes of glass

As for this contraption, I reckon they may well have already been broken into and due to this they are possibly overdoing things. A plastic window no matter how well protected is just a plastic window. Also if they are broken into there will be much more damage done by the there than if this had not been fitted, as Mistericeman stated.
Bottom line due to their contraction securing a motorhome physically is difficult, hence why alarms, and trackers are the most important measures.

Just end up with the scrotes doing more damage ....
Likely ending up with body damage rather than just a busted window.
And with what has been stolen after the break-in, the cost of replacing and repairing means you end up making a claim on insurance either way, so the cost TO YOU is no difference ("just a broken window"? you know how much replacements are??), but what you have potentially done is reduced the chance of being broken in.

Depends if you are a glass half empty or half full kind of person, I guess. Some folk always think the worse will happen...

And with what has been stolen after the break-in, the cost of replacing and repairing means you end up making a claim on insurance either way, so the cost TO YOU is no difference ("just a broken window"? you know how much replacements are??), but what you have potentially done is reduced the chance of being broken in.

Depends if you are a glass half empty or half full kind of person, I guess. Some folk always think the worse will happen...
Exactly two identical vans side bye side, one with good visible security and one without, guess what one is broken into. Visual deterrence is probably more important than the actual physical security. Hence why when installing alarms we always fitted the bell box to the front of the property, with a decoy cover round the back. Deterrence is vitally important, but you have to balance this out with potential damage created by such measures if broken into. Also from an aesthetic pov such ugly fittings may affect resale value.

Stopping intruders getting into a motorhome is impossible, ain’t anyway you can be without glass or plastic windows, a battery drill and jig saw will get see any perp in through any solid panel.

What you need to do is protect your most valuable items within the motorhome and prevent the vehicle being taken, that’s also impossible, but you can make it very hard, so hard that the perp goes elsewhere.

It’s a bit like the old joke about a Lion getting out, 1 guy says to the other, why are you running? You cant out run a Lion.

The reply, I don’t need to out run the Lion, I just need to our run you.

Stopping intruders getting into a motorhome is impossible, ain’t anyway you can be without glass or plastic windows, a battery drill and jig saw will get see any perp in through any solid panel.

What you need to do is protect your most valuable items within the motorhome and prevent the vehicle being taken, that’s also impossible, but you can make it very hard, so hard that the perp goes elsewhere.

It’s a bit like the old joke about a Lion getting out, 1 guy says to the other, why are you running? You cant out run a Lion.

The reply, I don’t need to out run the Lion, I just need to our run you.
Change that story a bit .....
it's a bit like the the joke about a opportunistic thief wandering around. Two guys with motorhomes parked up. One guy says to the other "why are you putting your window bars on? You can't stop people breaking in if they want to".

The reply, "I don't need to stop them being able to break into MY motorhome, I just need YOURS to be easier to break into"

Hence why
But it’s pointless, the windows will take seconds to get through.
Is not the case many times

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back