On Demand Water Heater

I've used these in my works van, they're great and if you look round, quite cheap. You can also do cooking, double benefit.

If you're stationary, a solar water heater as used by campers can certainly take the chill off and some can be used as a shower.

I've seen them on car roofs while driving. Any solar gain = less fuel to heat up.

Thanks to both for the info, i will look around for one , maybe go on to gas in the end
John

If you are interested in a gas water heater which does not have to be built into the van, have a look at the 'on demand water heaters' manufactured by Coleman. Zodi also make a version.

Both can be seen on Youtube

Rob

Actually the fastest way to heat a solar bag is to have it inside on the dashboard.

It still gets the infrared heating and doesn't get cooled by the breeze it would be exposed to outside. Makes a huge difference. In good direct sun, my little bag is warm enough for a shower in about an hour. Outside, it seems to take forever.

Depending on your van, and the direction you are driving, it would even work on the road, but I tend to do more lounging about and less driving. :dnd:

Peter

Although you can't use it inside the van (although I have been wondering about rigging up some kind of flue), I have a Ghillie Kettle (also known as Storm Kettle) which boils a litre of water in just a couple of minutes. There's no fuel costs as you use twigs, leaves, paper wrapping etc although I carry a bag of dry kindling in the van, and the worse the weather, the faster it burns. You can get a 1.5 L version, and I think a 2L version. I also carry charcoal so that I can use it as a mini bbq, and it's nice to sit around at night. One of the best bits of camping kit I've ever bought.

just looking at a 6.5 litre one on ebay for60 quid.i could have a shower with that

just looking at a 6.5 litre one on ebay for60 quid.i could have a shower with that

That's not a bad price, I paid about £40 for mine, which is about the going rate for that size. If you've got the storage room and weight allowance for that size, I would say go for it, you could make about 25 cups of tea with that! Great for meets or filling a tin bath. I wonder how long one that size would take to boil.

I think that the 1 on Ebay (is it the triple S storm kettle?) differs from the Ghillie in that it does not have a base to contain its own mini fire, in other words it is made to use over a bonfire. The Ghillie has a central column to contain the heat and heat the water from underneath and inside and as WVW says you can quickly heat up water with a couple of scraps of paper and a few twigs which you just drop down the central column.

Cheers

Rob

Those Kelly kettles are efficient, whitevanwoman!:D
Though I think yours must be the New Zealand type, which is said to be one of the very best.

I still use a home-made rocket stove made from tincans and old salvaged flue-pipe, but I regret to say that the fastest I've ever boiled a pint of water is eight minutes - from a dead start. :sad:

Obviously, cold wet days are the slowest, and it sure pays to have some nice dry tinder and kindling! In December I had to cheat a bit by giving it a squirt of barbecue fluid.
Yesterday, with the same kit, I had to shovel in ash and dirt to put the thing out! My dinner was like a piece of charcoal.

Temperamental to say the least.:rolleyes2:

sean rua.

Another great bit of kit I have acquired is the Honeystove for a mini campfire. Got this from Home. Its great for cooking/heating water when out walking or just by the van.

This is the type that I have Ghillie Kettle

They get their name as they were originally made and used by shepherds and ghillies in Ireland. A brilliant bit of kit. And virtually unbreakable. It's worth buying the stand for it unless you can make one. I stand mine on an upside down bucket barbeque so that it gets plenty of air circulation and there's no risk of burning vegetation.

The only downside is the size and weight so it's no use for backpacking but great for camping out of a car or at festivals etc. I've used mine in the back yard during power cuts (which we get usually several times a year here) or in the summer as an alternative to lighting the woodburner just for some hot water.

Some nice kit!
Thank you for the links. The Ghillie is like the kelly kettle, but with a whistle. :)

My set up is a lot sootier and much slower.

sean rua.

The whistle is really handy but it drives the dog mad :lol-053:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back