omnistep fault

argoose

Any ideas on step relay location on 2005 swift/ace ducato based motorhome.
Switch is intermittent, new switch fitted. Still intermittent.
When it does come down and not retract, it will retract with engine start, but not come down again.
Limit switch working, I think, as it retracts and stops on engine.
motor goes both up and down on switch, intermittent.
So next try is relay as no fuse fitted,

Last edited:
:)
So next try is relay as no fuse fitted,

I very much doubt that no Fuse is fitted, it is just that you haven't found it.
However, it is more likely to be the relay because fuses rarely cause intermittent faults.

Do you know which battery it runs off?
I think this may be a battery issue because the engine running will effectively increase the battery voltage.
Try using the step with EHU connect (engine not running) as this also increases battery voltage.

I had a similar intermittent problem on a Burstner. Solution was to partially dismantle the step and lubricate it.
The battery was just not up to the job of overcoming all the accumulated crud thrown up by the wheels, cleaning and Lub'ing made life easier for it.

Fuse for the step on our 2004 ducato based swift is on aux panel under the bonnet from memory (biggish Black bos just under scuttle)

I very much doubt that no Fuse is fitted, it is just that you haven't found it.
However, it is more likely to be the relay because fuses rarely cause intermittent faults.

Do you know which battery it runs off?
I think this may be a battery issue because the engine running will effectively increase the battery voltage.
Try using the step with EHU connect (engine not running) as this also increases battery voltage.

I had a similar intermittent problem on a Burstner. Solution was to partially dismantle the step and lubricate it.
The battery was just not up to the job of overcoming all the accumulated crud thrown up by the wheels, cleaning and Lub'ing made life easier for it.
The wiring diagram shows power from the vehicle battery fuse, and power from the fridge fuse, which I take it is with emc relay when engine starts closes step.
Fault happens on ehu .
All four pins on rocker switch is 13v+.
Both batteries showing full on control panel.

Fuse for the step on our 2004 ducato based swift is on aux panel under the bonnet from memory (biggish Black bos just under scuttle)
Will check the three fuses which are with the split charge relays, if I remember.
I'm hoping the step rely is there or behind fridge vent

Will check the three fuses which are with the split charge relays, if I remember.
I'm hoping the step rely is there or behind fridge vent

As I said not likely to be a fuse issue if it sometimes works.
Defo sounds like a relay problem.

Worth giving it a clean anyway?
No harm will come from it.

Quick update.
Found relay. Not in black box in engine bay. Only two split charge relays, four fuses (all good) and engine fuel injector/glow plug connections.
Not behind lower fridge vent.
Removed draw above fridge, and the little git is two inches from the switch above the fridge.
Arm is too fat to get it from draw aperture. But removed upper fridge vent, moved fridge baffle and got to it there.
Wiggled the snit out of it, step working as it should.
New relay on order will replace after applying some ACF50 to the contacts. Will update again.
Thanks for all the replies.

Relay then if it is not sorted will look again at fuses again.
But as said before the power to switch is from vehicle battery fuse. As there is no problems with that I will check out the capacitor bridging 85 86 pins on step relay.

My Aclass Hymer was under the cooker at the wall near the door, shortish cable so no far from the motor unit, they do like hiding them up.

Had a very similar problem with a previous van. Lubrication and cleaning has been mentioned but I cured ours periodically by jet washing all the moving joints and then used a light lubricant (WD40). I stopped using ACF50 on my bikes especially in the winter because it’s very heavy and claggy in cold weather and likely to make a lubrication problem worse - that’s if friction is the problem. It will also became more of a problem if your battery is on the low side.

Had a very similar problem with a previous van. Lubrication and cleaning has been mentioned but I cured ours periodically by jet washing all the moving joints and then used a light lubricant (WD40). I stopped using ACF50 on my bikes especially in the winter because it’s very heavy and claggy in cold weather and likely to make a lubrication problem worse - that’s if friction is the problem. It will also became more of a problem if your battery is on the low side.
Thanks for reply. Batteries are good. The only thing I'll put ACF50 on is the relay contacts.
I get the part that the linkages need to be clean and lightly lubed. I would think about silicone spray as lube. But step moves freely, when it can be bothered. Absolutely no effort from the motor when switch pressed, when it's not working.
If it was linkages, I would imagine that motor would start until the friction stops it.

👍 have you tried pressure washing?
Not yet, van in storage, no 230v.
I can change relay. After I had given relay some movement step was working as it should.
I'll get as much pressure from the hose on site. Then GT85 it. Got a few cans for mountain bike 👍

A step in the right direction. Y don't the have steps have spery / brush guards fitted for mud and dirt ? Or is it a vacuum thing with the boxes ? Turbulence Airflow !
The steps are prone to cruddin up tho and jamming
Or is it, there vunarble to impact with the ground especially on long wheel bases. Not fiitted one as yet.

A step in the right direction. Y don't the have steps have spery / brush guards fitted for mud and dirt ? Or is it a vacuum thing with the boxes ? Turbulence Airflow !
The steps are prone to cruddin up tho and jamming
Or is it, there vunarble to impact with the ground especially on long wheel bases. Not fiitted one as yet.

I see what you did there. :)

It may not be dirty, I was surprised when mine stopped how clean everything was. I think the exhaust may protect mine a bit though plus it is roughly central in the van. Not that mine is working yet but I know mine is a soldered on relay on a small control box. Just loathe to spend £150 getting pub repaired and too lazy to wire in some proper relays.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back