Old paper driving license / International Driving Permit in France

Jo001

I've never had cause to update my paper license to the plastic card, and I'm quite happy to keep it that way. But I saw something recently on Faceache (so it must be true) which said that under the post ****** Trade and Cooperation Agreement, people without a plastic card need an International Driving Permit.

But on the UK Gov website, it seems to say my paper license remains valid.

Can anybody point me towards a definitive answer please?

I've never had cause to update my paper license to the plastic card, and I'm quite happy to keep it that way. But I saw something recently on Faceache (so it must be true) which said that under the post ****** Trade and Cooperation Agreement, people without a plastic card need an International Driving Permit.

It depends on what country you are entering.
Some countries demand an IDP others not so.
You can check countries individually online.

You do not need an international driving permit ( IDP ) to visit and drive in the EU , Switzerland, Iceland or Liechtenstein. You might need an IDP to drive in some EU countries and Norway if you have: a paper driving licence. a licence that was issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man.

This tells you which countries require an IDP if you only have a paper license

Thank you all. So, as I understand it, my paper license is fine if I am in France, but I might need an IDP if I am in Germany - or is that only if I am in Germany for more than six months?

I'm easily confused ...

Thank you all. So, as I understand it, my paper license is fine if I am in France, but I might need an IDP if I am in Germany - or is that only if I am in Germany for more than six months?

I'm easily confused ...
You will need one in Germany, no matter how long you are there. And as above there are 3 and only 1 is acceptable. Some Post Offices are no longer issuing them so it might be the AA or RAC I think.

They only cost about £5.50 and are easy to get although some only last for a year, others last 3 years. I got one for my trip to Germany this year for peace of mind. Post Offices no longer issue them but certain shops that have Paypoint can issue them.

Thanks. I've decided to bite the bullet and get a plastic card driving license. I was reluctant because I always seem to have a lot of hassle getting on to the Government Gateway site and it never seemed to be worth the grief but for some reason I had no trouble at all this morning so the ball is rolling for a plastic card.

Thanks. I've decided to bite the bullet and get a plastic card driving license. I was reluctant because I always seem to have a lot of hassle getting on to the Government Gateway site and it never seemed to be worth the grief but for some reason I had no trouble at all this morning so the ball is rolling for a plastic card.
I’m glad you started this thread, I too, still have the paper licence, and I intend spending more time within EU land once properly organised.

I’ll have to look into this 👍 cheers.

I’m glad you started this thread, I too, still have the paper licence, and I intend spending more time within EU land once properly organised.

Photocard licence can be very handy as proof of ID, particularly when proof of address (not present in passport) is also required.

The information about it is terrible. On one part of the Gov.uk website it just says the paper license is valid for driving in the EU until the age of 70. So I thought I was good to go. But then, like I said, someone cast credible doubt on that - but I couldn't find a source with a definitive answer until @REC posted the link above, which in fact does confirm the need for an International Permit (or plastic license).

Anyone relying on just the Gov.uk page I was using could find they aren't covered.

Social and pleasure is not commercial. Most people get them confused.

Most notices are for the purposes of businesses. If it's the pink one it says EU Liecence.

If you renew now !. business is 5 years expiry social is 10 years for renewal. Pink lasts untill your 70 as date of birth. New tax lol x 35 million drivers.

Social and pleasure is not commercial. Most people get them confused.

Most notices are for the purposes of businesses. If it's the pink one it says EU Liecence.
I'm not sure I'm understanding you - do you mean that if my license was just for social/domestic, not commercial, I don't need the plastic license or the IDP?

Yes as its still valid. The system wants photo I D. but at our cost

International drivers licences are committed to uphold your licence in the EU. If your address is still true as shown on pink and pink and green issue

The information about it is terrible. On one part of the Gov.uk website it just says the paper license is valid for driving in the EU until the age of 70. So I thought I was good to go. But then, like I said, someone cast credible doubt on that - but I couldn't find a source with a definitive answer until @REC posted the link above, which in fact does confirm the need for an International Permit (or plastic license).

Anyone relying on just the Gov.uk page I was using could find they aren't covered.
As I have posted before, .gov has many mistakes on it.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back